Questions about Cabo taxis, food and beach resorts

richfei

I have a family of four going on a Mexican riviera cruise for the first time on Carnival Miracle.

For Cabo, I want to do the water taxi with a tour to the Arch, Lovers Beach, Divorce Beach, feed the fish etc and drop off somewhere at Medano. A few questions.

Thanks for any help

1) What should I offer in dollars or pesos for 4 people. I'll probably bring a bunch of pesos

2) Are these water taxis, glass bottomed or are those just for the official tours ?

3) After I tender, where do you pick up these water taxis ? Are they in the Marina somewhere. I looked at google maps to get my bearings, but not sure if it's at the bottom end of the Marina (Senor Frogs) or top end (near Scotia Bank)

4) We'll probably get a taxi back to dock. How much in pesos and dollars ? What tip is expected ? Are there official colored taxis i.e yellow ?

5) Also looking for a reasonable day pass hotel experience in Cabo. I've read about Hotel Krystal and Playa Los Acros in Puerto Vallarta. Is there an equivalent in Cabo ? I heard about Nikkis, but their facebook indicates that it's closed. Any others ?

6) I want to eat at Tacos Gus and Taco Gardenia. It looks close to the Marina. Is this a short walk back to the pier ? Is it close to Medano ?

7) Any recommended cheaper locals restaurants or family friendly ones on or just off Medano Beach. The ones I hear about are Tabascos, Sand Bar and Moxitos, which I'll look into

8) Any decent online maps of Cabo with hotels and local recommended restaurants ?

9) Are there places on the Marina or Medano which offer free wifi ?

Since I live in Cabo part time, I can't answer some of your questions, but I will answer the ones I can.

2. The water taxis have a window that is plexiglass. I think they all do.

3. The tender pier is closest to Senor Frogs. As soon as you come out of the terminal, there will be many, many vendors anxious to sell you a tour. You won't have any trouble finding them.

6. Tacos Gus is in town and I think you mean Gardenia's which is near Puerto Paraiso Mall. Neither is close to the tender pier or to Medano. They would both be difficult to find, there are no addresses in Cabo. If you want local flavor, try Taco Loco, in the Cabo Wabo plaza, that will be easier to find and very good. It's located on Blvd Marina which is one street behind the Marina Boardwalk.

7. Moxitos is now closed. Tabascos, the last I heard was charging for the use of umbrellas and loungers. The Sand Bar, Billigans and The Office are all family friendly. If you are in town and want to hang out with the locals, go to either Cabo Blue, and outdoor palapa bar or Cabo Cantina, both also on Blvd Marina. All restaurants mentioned are on the beach, toes in the sand kind of thing.

8. Here is one site that offers maps of downtown Cabo:

http://www.loscabosguide.com/maps/cabosanlucas-downtown.htm. You can google others.

9. Almost all bars and restaurants on the Marina and Medano Beach offer free wifi, some with better signal strength than others.

I'm sure someone will come along and fill in the gaps that I didn't.

I have done the Nikki Beach day thing both in Cabo and in Puerto Vallarta. I love it there. We are cruising at Christmas this year and iIwant to do Nikki Beach on one of the two days we will be docked in Cabo. I read, but can't remember exactly where just now, that Nikki Beach is reopening on Dec. 1st. I'm so excited about that! You can call their toll-free number and ask for yourself if this is true or not. It's what I plan to do!

Edited by mousey

I have done the Nikki Beach day thing both in Cabo and in Puerto Vallarta. I love it there. We are cruising at Christmas this year and I want to hang out at Nikki Beach on one of the two days we will be docked in Cabo. I read, but can't remember exactly where just now. That Nikki Beach is reopening on Dec. 1st. I'm so excited about that! You can call their toll-free number and ask for yourself if this is true or not. It's what I plan to do.

As mentioned above, there will be no problem finding a water taxi, when you get of the tender pier there will be no less than 30 people selling excursions. The price can range from $8 to $15 pp. Depends on the traffic and time. Maybe offer $30 for 4 people and see what happens. There is/was a $1pp dock "access" fee.

Try to find Tacos Gus, about 15 minute walk from Senor Froggs. Good grub. Excellent tortas and make sure to get the pineapple drink. We usually get a large asada quesadilla and split it along with tacos and tortas. Gus does not serve beer.

We really want to try Gardenia's. They're supposed to have a shrimpy-cheesy molcajete that's really good, but we never make it past Gus's. Maybe next trip.

Big thing: Cabo is a tender port and it can take several hours to get off the boat. Make sure to get your tender tickets early or be prepared to hang out (or get FFTF which gives priority tender boarding, if platinum no worries).

Just past Froggs there is a large "civic" looking building. It's an indoor patio area with clean restrooms. They have good free Wi-Fi there, you can get the password from the security kiosk inside.

As mentioned above, there will be no problem finding a water taxi, when you get of the tender pier there will be no less than 30 people selling excursions. The price can range from $8 to $15 pp. Depends on the traffic and time. Maybe offer $30 for 4 people and see what happens. There is/was a $1pp dock "access" fee.

Try to find Tacos Gus, about 15 minute walk from Senor Froggs. Good grub. Excellent tortas and make sure to get the pineapple drink. We usually get a large asada quesadilla and split it along with tacos and tortas. Gus does not serve beer.

We really want to try Gardenia's. They're supposed to have a shrimpy-cheesy molcajete that's really good, but we never make it past Gus's. Maybe next trip.

Big thing: Cabo is a tender port and it can take several hours to get off the boat. Make sure to get your tender tickets early or be prepared to hang out (or get FFTF which gives priority tender boarding, if platinum no worries).

Just past Froggs there is a large "civic" looking building. It's an indoor patio area with clean restrooms. They have good free Wi-Fi there, you can get the password from the security kiosk inside.

I've read before that we should get tender tickets early for Cabo...when and where to you line up to get an early tender ticket? Do I check the Fun Times for info or will they announce it over the PA?

I've read before that we should get tender tickets early for Cabo...when and where to you line up to get an early tender ticket? Do I check the Fun Times for info or will they announce it over the PA?

Last time I had to get them it was on the lido deck forward by the stage. They will announce it. And pay attention, sometimes everyone in the group has to be there to get a ticket.

• 2 months later...

Any of you folks that spend lots of time in Cabo have any sites you recommend that would steer me toward things we would like to see or do? We are both physically active and are not afraid to travel on city buses, etc. We will be down there the 1st week of December and are trying to plan what we would like to do. Any help, pointers, tips are appreciated. Thanks.