Gosh does everyone hate the scale as much as me

Steve&Karen

I have been working out and watching what I eat for six weeks. I have worked out at least 5 days a week. Walk at least a hour and then do curves on the other days

I have only lost 10 pounds Thats it??? I thought 2 pounds a week was doable but they just are not coming off. And then I get so weird with the scale If it hasnt moved I get so bummed instead of being glad that I am healthier.

Should I thorw the scale away???? Any ideas would be great. Oprahs trainer says put it away and weigh once a month!! It is so hard to do. We want results

Cant do low carb Did that beofre and lost a quick 45 pounds but had 7 kidney stones Not a good diet for kidney problems So this time it is just eating less and moving more.......

I know exactly what you are saying, I started a workout program including weights and cardio in november. My goal was not necessarily to lose a lot of weight, but to be fit and able to do my job easier ( meatwrapper), and feel better. I purposely have avoided a scale at all costs for the same reason as you. I don't fit the charts and I don't lose weight, I lose inches. Well I have gone down almost 2 full sizes and was feeling pretty good about it, then came time for my yearly, the nurse MADE me get on the scale, I'd only lost 8 pounds !!! I was very upset. The good news is when I explained this to my doctor, she said I had EXACTLY the right attitude and even wrote in my chart, do not weigh. I am going to continue my program, although I am going to work on eating better, and NOT GET ON A SCALE!!!! PS even Oprah says "the scale is not my friend"

event.png

It will be okay. I went through the same thing, when I started to walk I started to lose at a much slower pace also. I went from losing about 10 pounds a month to only 4 pounds a month. This was very upsetting to me, but I began to notice I started to drop dress sizes! I am still averaging about 4 to 6 pounds a month, but I am dropping about a dress size a month and I am very happy with that. I have lost close to 65 pounds and I have about 45 to go.

So, don't get discouraged it is all part of the process. By the way, how old are you???????? :)

Yes the same is happening to me. Was losing around a pound and a halk a week. then took the exercise up a notch and now losing a pound or less a week. that is ok though because have got down sizes. :) My work clothes are baggy. I am begining to look like a bag woman. :D thats is ok though because finally I am getting the results I want and the difference is very motivated to do it. It has been a long time comming. I have struggled with trying to lose weight for many years now. Just needed motivation. I guess results helps to. lol lol

So somedays the scale is my friend and other days my enemy. :rolleyes: I think have to measure weight loss with how your clothes fit. the only problem is that do I continue to wear my baggy clothes, which feels good. Or go and buy some inexpensive clothes that fit tight?

What do you guys do? good luck to all of you and keep up the faith.

marie

Yesterday (Friday) I got on the scale and it said 181. this morning it says 184. Now I checked it several times when it said 181 (because 179 will be a ten-pound loss for me)and I was just thrilled:D . However, I weighed myself last night and I was 184!!! And I had NOTHING to eat except two fajitas (no sour cream or cheese) and a diet dr. pepper. I have noticed that I will fluctuate 1 to 3 pounds some days, and nothing other days. What the heck? And how can a woman ever bee so skinny she says "I need to lose five pounds" How would you know you had five extra pounds? I'm not being mean, I just really wonder if the fluctuation is less when you're thinner. Maybe some smaller gals here know?

I do not know what to tell you but people say that you should get on the scale once a week. I too have a hard time doing this as I weigh myself every morning. Today, before I did my power walk this morning, I lost 6 ounces, when I came back from my walk, I weighed myself again and lost one and a half pounds. crazy. I bet if I got on now, after breakfast, I probably am up again. I am going to say off that sucker for now. :D

It is so hard to not keep weighing yourself. Good luck. :)

marie

Just remember, for some people it's not about the numbers on a scale. I am so far off what the charts say, as in what my weight should be for my height, it's not even funny. I now weigh 180, and am 5ft 5 in, yet I am down to a size 12. At the thinnest I have been as an adult I weighed 140 and wore a size 7, I had people saying I was too skinny, yet according to all the charts, I was still overweight. I go by measuring the inches now, since it's not as easy as jumping on a scale, I don't do it as often, and a little water gain won't show up as much as it does on a scale. I even took the battery out of my scale so I won't be tempted.

I used to be completely obsessive with weiging myself. It got so bad that I would weigh myself a few times a day, then get depressed with any fluctuation. I made myself CRAZY!

I have struggled every day of my life with my weight and am quite certain that is my destiny. I have maintained my 140 plus pound weight loss for over 20 years now. I no longer have a scale in my home. I will weigh in at the gym every couple of months and at the doctors once a year. It still makes me sick to my stomach to get on a scale!

I pay attention to my clothes and the way I feel. It is the only way to keep perspective.

Now that I am perimenopausal, my struggles have increased. I run 12-15 miles a week, walk my dog 3-4 times a day, weight train 3 times a week and do power yoga 3-4 times a week. I am totally consistent and dedicated. My diet is based on lean protein, veggies and fruit. I seldom stray and when I do, I pay even closer attention the next day.

I have been exercising for over 20 years and take a day off about once a month. My body is changing and, although my doctor continues to be very happy with my fitness level and weight, these changes are hard to accept. I have gained 6-8 pounds over my lowest ever weight and am stuck right here. I am trying to make peace with it and am eternally grateful that I am healthy and trim and trying to face the fact that at 49, this is probably the best it will be.

Anyone else in my boat?

CG

Thanks so much for the encouragment. And you all make me want to keep plugging along. I cracked up after reading what you said about having five pounds to lose. WHATEVER!!!! It is like my friends who say they forgot to eat???

I have never forgot to eat. I am 42 and have about 40 pounds to lose to be where I want to be. Which is way over what I was when I was younger. But I am more realistic now and just want to wear my size 12s and feel good. I started out as a 16 and now am in 14's. Sure I would love to be a 10 but it isnt going to happen

So for now I am going to weigh myself once a month at curves and no more weighing at home. I am walking quite a bit and feel better everyday. My favorite snack these days is a cut up fuji apple wtih nonfat yogurt on it with kashi go lean crunch sprinkled on the top. I eat that everday and it is my treat

Any good snack ideas out are welcomed Keep up hte good work girls and I hope we stay in touch. ps i am for sure using the crusie gym everyday so at least I wont feel so bad cause I will be eating more

You have done amazing well. To have lost that much weight and not gained it back is AWESOME You are a hero.....

What I am is damned determined never to have to buy my clothes in maternity stores again! And being single at 49YO has helped me to take especially good care of myself. My health is really important to me and its nice to still turn a head now and again, even if the head belongs to a gent that's a little bit older!

The scale is a filthy liar :)

No really, if you are exercising, the scale is a terrible way to see progress. Track your measurements, those are much better ways to judge your progress :) It's quite common for people who are doing weight training and working out alot to not lose ANYTHING on the scale and yet still get smaller in size. If you're building muscle, well, muscle weighs more than fat, and takes up less space. Muscle also burns way more calories than fat does, so you're also improving your metabolism! You're doing great, keep up the good work :)

Hi Steve and Karen,

Jjust check the scales ONCE A WEEK! I've battled a weight problem all my life (I'm now 48). I was over 100lbs over weight in high school when I decided to do something about it. I've been successful all these year but it has been hard, hard work. I watch what I eat and walk. That being said I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

Your weight can fluctuate 2, 3 or even 4 lbs every day. What you eat has alot to do with how much water you will retain. And that causes the fluctuating. Don't be alarmed by it just understand it. That's why weighing once a week is important, it gives you the real average.

Sometimes after you've been losing awhile you will plateau (stay at or about the same weight) for up to a month. That is really discouraging. The only explaination I've had about that is that the body is readjusting. During this time just keep on keeping on and one day you'll get on the scales and be surprised.

Good luck and don't give up.

For a while I was writing down how far I went on the treadmill in what amount of time. That was kind of nice to see, I should start doing that again. I had gone from 10 minutes (and probably about .25 miles) to 20 minutes and 2 miles...I felt pretty good about that. I'ts frustrating, though, you get off the exercise wagon for a few weeks then you can't do as much, then you don't want to because it's embarassing (even when I'm the only one in the room) so I wait longer, then I can do even less....you know. Vicious (sp?) cycle.

10 minutes on treadmill today ...uphill, although my husband put bricks under it so it's not QUITE as steep an incline:)

You Go Girls!

I just really wonder if the fluctuation is less when you're thinner. Maybe some smaller gals here know?

I can fluctuate 2.5 pounds in a single day - easy. One thing that will always cause a higher number is salt. It will cause you to retain water, and that shows on the scale. I do weigh every single day, I have done so for 3 years. It does not freak me out to see the fluctuations - I am used to them, and can just about predict them. But I gain weight easily, and need to monitor it closely, so for me, daily weighing is just a part of my morning routine.

Archived