LA - Map of the Stars Homes

thecruisers723

Ask yourself this. If you were a movie or TV star or celebrity would you give out your address to a guy who is going to put it on a map and sell it to complete strangers just so they can constantly drive by your home and disrupt your peace and quiet? Chances are they got the addresses off public legal documents and that they may have lived there at some time. However, you can bet your booties that every time a star moves they don't update all the maps sold.

Ask yourself this. If you were a movie or TV star or celebrity would you give out your address to a guy who is going to put it on a map and sell it to complete strangers just so they can constantly drive by your home and disrupt your peace and quiet? Chances are they got the addresses off public legal documents and that they may have lived there at some time. However, you can bet your booties that every time a star moves they don't update all the maps sold.

Sure, I'm not picturing most celebrities having an item on their moving-day checklist: "Notify the movie star map guys out on Sunset Boulevard of my new address." But the information is out there, one way or another, if you live in Los Angeles--locals just know that that's so-and-so's house.

And you know, being celebrities and living in one of the star-studded neighborhoods of Los Angeles, they have to know it comes with the territory. If they really wanted privacy and anonymity, they would live somewhere else, where there aren't people out selling those maps a few blocks down the hill. Would I like it if people were constantly driving by my house, peering in, taking pictures, etc.? Heck no--but then, I have always thought being famous sounded pretty horrible, for that very reason. These are folks who've eagerly sought it out. If the fans stop caring where they live, now, that's when they're really going to worry! My feeling is, as long as people are staying off their property, and don't go banging on the door or behaving like crazy stalkers, they're not a real problem.

I've done this a couple of times, when I lived in Los Angeles and had out-of-town guests (they gave me a good excuse! :D). It was a hoot. You're really not going to see a lot of the houses--most have high walls, thick hedges, or other barriers at the street (they also have some serious security--motion sensors, alarms, guards on call within moments if somebody trespasses). I don't assume that any of the information on the maps is 100% current and accurate, and some of the houses listed will even say they're the former home of so-and-so. But the maps do get you driving around some incredible neighborhoods, full of crazy-big, luxurious, over-the-top houses. And you do get a better look at some of the houses, which can be fun. My favorite was the home of Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, widow of Gene Roddenberry, who created Star Trek. It was in Beverly Hills, and plenty big and posh, but far less so than many of the neighbors. The wall was low enough to see the yard. And all over, on the lawn, in the planters, in the trees, she had these goofy, whimsical ornaments and decorations--wind chimes, sparkly wind-spinners, metalwork lawn ornaments. I'd always liked her as Nurse Chapel (TOS) and Lwaxana Troi (TNG), but after seeing her house, I really liked her!!

I used to see these maps at all the touristy gift shops. Try the ones around Grauman's Chinese Theatre (a.k.a. TCL Chinese Theatre) in Hollywood. And like I said, there at least used to be people out on Sunset Boulevard in Beverly Hills, holding big signs ("MOVIE STAR MAPS") and trying to wave down the passing cars. Buying from them might be a necessary part of the experience.

Edited by Casagordita

As far as I know, many of the addresses are out of date. Many of celebrities live in the hills or in the San Fernando Valley. I was reading a book about the history of the area I grew up in (I had borrowed it from the library to scan in a few photos for my daughter's senior project to show how the area became urbanized over the years) -- it talked about actors who had lived in the area. Many of these homes have been torn down.

When I was about 5 to 7, I lived near the house where Clark Gable lived his last some years. Of course, there was a gate and a lot of shrubbery so you really couldn't see anything. The place was developed into a housing development (yes, it was that large). Michael Jackson's family moved into a big house just a couple of streets away (we've moved before then but I imagine many residents knew where the house is). It was undoubtedly a zoo right after his death. But I saw him in person when he came into the store I was working in (while I was hunting for my first real job) and he seemed really nice to us. Many other celebs who lived there (Encino, which is a middle class suburb of LA) would come in to look for books. I used to live in the same condo as a soap opera star. Again, not a ritzy area.

Most likely if you see a celeb while in LA, it's random -- you're at the same restaurant or grocery store. Many lead regular lives as much as they can.

Probably the closest to a star that we live to currently is on a sit com, right around the corner from us. We know her because she was in the same kindergarten class as my daughter.

So spend the five dollars or so, but probably the houses you'll see on the map most likely used to belong to a celeb years ago. And maybe even belong to someone with the same name, who isn't in show biz.

Yup, when I lived over in the eastern part of LA County (Pasadena area) I didn't know of anyone or know anyone that knew a celebrity. Then I moved to Oregon and back to California. Now I live to the west. My current area is home to entertainment and sports people alike. Entertainment people just aren't actors. My doctors are doctors to sport teams and the Motion Picture industry. I'm just not savvy enough to know who they are LOL. I can guarantee you there are more in the west San Fernando Valley then there are in the area those maps show. One of my dear friends has been in the movie industry for over 40 years and is top in his field. Met him and his friends at a local restaurant. The really famous ones live in gated communities around here. No map can help you there.

That said, it is always fun to be a tourist and do the tourist stuff so if it makes you excited to do it, then you should do it. You can still say I saw "insert name here)'s house. Who is going to dispute it? Don't let me dampen your spirit. You are on vacation and LA is a fantasy type town. Just be realistic that they may not really live there. Even when we lived in Vancouver for 3 years I made my husband do the tourist thing so he could see what people were talking about. Look honey, there is the world's biggest ball of yarn!

Edited by notentirelynormal

Okay...First of all, I live in one of those neighborhoods where a lot of those current celebrities live...But YOU cannot get in...YOU cannot drive by or bother the celebs...Because our neighborhood has restricted access with 24 hour manned guard gates. You don't get anywhere close to those celebs' homes unless somebody lets you in. There are lots of neighborhoods like mine in SoCal...and the "stars" love them...for precisely this reason...privacy.

Now, that does not mean that ALL stars live in guard-gated communities...just a whole lot of them...Older neighborhoods are not guard-gated...For example, I know exactly where Hugh Hefner lives (the Playboy Mansion...my wife's cousin lives next door!). You can drive right by it...In fact, tour buses drive by on a regular basis. Of course, you really can't see in...From the street, there are just high walls and a secure gate. But it doesn't stop the gawking tourists from driving by on an annoyingly regular basis.

So, yes, they do sell these "Maps to Stars Homes"...There are entreprenurial types set up with signs on random street corners along Sunset Boulevard...It's not exactly that the maps are outdated...they are more historical than anything...They will direct you to the homes where stars of yesteryear ONCE lived. Want to find the home of Douglas Fairbanks? Or Jayne Mansfield? They are easy to find...and yes, they are on those maps...The homes where old time stars used to live...

Of course, nowadays, you don't even need to go there and buy one of these maps...You can get this info on the internet...Try this site:

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Live/

BTW, a lot of the info on here is VERY outdated as well...I know where a lot of the people listed here actually live...and a lot of this info is really old...

Also, note, when a star lets out his "mailing address", it is often the address of an agent or an office set up to recieve fan mail...

And, a lot of these "stars" move often...

Or just google "Maps to Stars Homes" and find other similar sites...

But, also please realize that most of these "stars" are just normal people trying to live their private lives...They have kids, families, etc. When they are at home, they are just trying to live quiet lives like everyone else...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Thank you all for the very helpful info. There's great info and advice in your responses and I really appreciate it. Not even sure that we'll be doing this. But I was looking for some more info before deciding. I did this when I was in town with my Mom for vacation as a teen and enjoyed it then. But I remember seeing homes that people "used" to live in back then as well. I remember George Burns & Gracie Allen's former home and Judy Garland's as well. But it was fun for me back then. We'll definitely be driving around in the area to see what the LA neighborhoods are like. My husband has never been there. And we're from the Midwest. So it will be very different than our neighborhoods, I'm sure. So knowing who used to live or "might" live in certain homes will make it a little more interesting. I don't plan to invade anyone's privacy. It's not my style. But I wouldn't feel bad driving by and slowing down. I make huge sacrifices to earn my salary and if one of theirs is that people drive by and slow down, it's a pretty easy sacrifice to make and they get paid enormous sums of money to be in that position. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond with the detailed and helpful info. :)

I was thinking about the time I was driving home from work in June 1994 and taking a street parallel to the freeway (I hate freeways during rush hour). There was a big crowd of people outside one house on Barrington (or Bundy, can't remember which one). Turned out that was where Nicole Simpson lived. It was a popular spot for tourists (and local residents) to check out. Sometimes we would be going to Santa Monica and would see buses turning on one particular street -- yep, checking out OJ's house (I think it's been torn down since). A few of my co-workers admitting stopping and getting out on the freeway during the white Bronco chase.

I was thinking about the time I was driving home from work in June 1994 and taking a street parallel to the freeway (I hate freeways during rush hour). There was a big crowd of people outside one house on Barrington (or Bundy' date=' can't remember which one). Turned out that was where Nicole Simpson lived. It was a popular spot for tourists (and local residents) to check out. Sometimes we would be going to Santa Monica and would see buses turning on one particular street -- yep, checking out OJ's house (I think it's been torn down since). A few of my co-workers admitting stopping and getting out on the freeway during the white Bronco chase.[/quote']

I can see how people would be curious. I think it's human nature. That was a sad situation too. I can see people wanting to pay their respects. I would feel kind of eerie to be there though because of what happened there. The site that Bruin Steve sent to me said that OJ's house was torn down in 1998.

I was thinking about the time I was driving home from work in June 1994 and taking a street parallel to the freeway (I hate freeways during rush hour). There was a big crowd of people outside one house on Barrington (or Bundy' date=' can't remember which one). Turned out that was where Nicole Simpson lived. It was a popular spot for tourists (and local residents) to check out. Sometimes we would be going to Santa Monica and would see buses turning on one particular street -- yep, checking out OJ's house (I think it's been torn down since). A few of my co-workers admitting stopping and getting out on the freeway during the white Bronco chase.[/quote']

I go back long enough in Los Angeles to remember the Saudi Sheik's house that was a scandal in the late 1970's. It was an enormous mansion, right on Sunset Boulevard, fairly sedate and traditional-looking until the Sheik and his family moved in. They painted the house avocado green, they stuck plastic flowers in the stone urns along the fence, they painted the faux-classical Greek statues around the grounds--including giving them vividly-colored pubic hair and naughty bits :eek: The decor inside was said to be even wilder. Nobody was sure whether the owners thought all this was a genuine improvement, or if it was their idea of a joke, or just an effort to mess with their neighbors--but the neighbors were indeed outraged. There were constant traffic jams on Sunset Boulevard from all the people who stopped out front to gawk and take pictures. The city authorities were beside themselves, but when you're dealing with people with that much money and that little regard for their opinions, there was only so much they could do.

For the next few years, the scandals just kept on coming. Members of the Sheik's large extended family were said to be writing bad checks all over town, throwing wild, raucous parties in the house, beating their servants, and otherwise pushing whatever limits they could find. The final blowout was a messy divorce case brought by the Sheik's wife, who cleared $81 million after all the lurid charges and counter-charges were aired. The Sheik left the country, never to return. Not long after, the house was gutted in a fire set by thieves to cover their tracks after they stole some of the valuable artworks left inside.

You probably won't see anything that outrageous these days in Beverly hills. But for anyone who hasn't grown up around the kind of opulence and excess that are commonplace there, it's quite a place to see.

Okay...First of all, I live in one of those neighborhoods where a lot of those current celebrities live...But YOU cannot get in...YOU cannot drive by or bother the celebs...Because our neighborhood has restricted access with 24 hour manned guard gates. You don't get anywhere close to those celebs' homes unless somebody lets you in. There are lots of neighborhoods like mine in SoCal...and the "stars" love them...for precisely this reason...privacy.

Okay, Steve, I know exactly where you live. Can I draw you a map LOL! Off ramp and then turn right! I still say we need to meet one of these days. Mexican restaurant, Las Virgenes, ask for Pecas. Wednesdays and Fridays baby! The first drink is on me.

Okay, Steve, I know exactly where you live. Can I draw you a map LOL! Off ramp and then turn right! I still say we need to meet one of these days. Mexican restaurant, Las Virgenes, ask for Pecas. Wednesdays and Fridays baby! The first drink is on me.

What hours are you there on Wednesday?