Any Advantage to Booking Directly Through Carnival.com or PVP?

gtalum

In searching for rates, I find several TA's willing to give me a small discount (compared to carnival.com) on the cruise I'm currently shopping for. Is there any advantage to booking directly through Carnival? I'm thinking it's best to save the money and go through a TA, but I don't want to do it wuithout knowing if I'm missing out on some big advantage of going direct. It's about $25pp cheaper through the TA's than through Carnival. If it matters, I'll be booking a BL Balcony Guarantee on Carnival Destiny.

For example: Am I more likely to get a visit from the upgrade fairy if I go directly through Carnival?

The main difference is Carnival won't talk to you if you are booked with a TA, so if you book with a TA, make sure you trust that they will be there to answer any questions you may have or handle any problems. Also find out what their cancellation policy/change policy is... many TA's charge additional to what Carnival does. If the difference was only $25, I don't think I would book with a company that I had not done business with... I'd personally go direct for that amount...

I agree, if the savings is small, book with Carnival. The first time I booked a cruise I did it thru TA. I spent so much time waiting on hold while my TA asked Carnival questions because they would not talk to me. Now I book direct with Carnival and cut out the middleman.

I'm starting to agree with your lines of reasoning. :)

On my previous cruise, I found a fabulous unbeatable deal from a TA, about $200 pp less than Carnival and over $100 pp less than any other TA. It turns out she had a group that needed to sell a few more cabins. I lucked out. That TA is not as forthcoming with this cruise, and neither are any others.

If I go directly through Carnival, do y'all think it's better to just do it through carnival.com or should I get a PVP involved?

Check first and make sure Carnival can't offer you any discounts such as over 55, military (you only have to have served 2 years and been honorably discharged) and if I'm not mistaken, I think sometimes they give discounts to certain states. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

I agree with Goin'Cruisn, I wouldn't book with a TA if I don't have reliable references or have dealt with them myself.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

On my previous cruise, I found a fabulous unbeatable deal from a TA, about $200 pp less than Carnival and over $100 pp less than any other TA. It turns out she had a group that needed to sell a few more cabins. I lucked out. That TA is not as forthcoming with this cruise, and neither are any others.

If I go directly through Carnival, do y'all think it's better to just do it through carnival.com or should I get a PVP involved?

I would call and get a PVP. If you book online, you should get a PVP. By calling, you get an idea if you like the PVP, and if you feel you can trust him/her... if you don't like their attitude, call another PVP :D

We booked our 1st cruise thru Carnival.. and have had 4 PVP's since and the last one gave us a $300pp credit for being a CDN resident.. So if we call back within the next few months and get another PVP oh well maybe we will get another discount/deal or not.. At this point since we are not regular cruisers yet.. I have no preference in the PVP we get as long as they help us out!

I have used Carnival once and had great results, will use them the next time as I am also tired of waiting for the ta to get back to me and then the savings not that much.

If you see a discounted price online you can quote the source and they will honor everything about it.

I have always used a TA for my cruises,until my recent one on Triumph. We were using points on a credit card,to get a free upgrade and had to book directly with Carnival to do this. The person I got on the line was very friendly and extremely helpful. Another thing I found out,and really liked. if I went into the Carnival.com site,it knew my name and had all my cruise info,and also told me how many days til cruise time. Kind of cool, and made you feel really welcome. :)

I have always used a TA for my cruises,until my recent one on Triumph. We were using points on a credit card,to get a free upgrade and had to book directly with Carnival to do this. The person I got on the line was very friendly and extremely helpful. Another thing I found out,and really liked. if I went into the Carnival.com site,it knew my name and had all my cruise info,and also told me how many days til cruise time. Kind of cool, and made you feel really welcome. :)

I agree that you should go through Carnival! We booked our last two cruises through Carnival, and it was great to be able to call them any time of day or night and ask questions, change dinner seating choices, etc. For our upcoming cruise we booked through a TA because Carnival was already sold out of Balcony guarantees for our sailing, and the TA still had some available. It's very frustrating for me not to be able to call Carnival directly about things. The TA is a huge online one, too, so I get a different customer service rep each time I call. Well, live and learn, I guess!

Oure experience: We booked directly thorugh Carnival and received excellent service from our PVPs. Recently, when we booked our Glory cruise for next summer, the PVP discounted our cruise almost $800 due a military discount - well, I'm sure SHE didn't personally discount the cruise - but she was able to plug in the calculations and deliver what seemed to be a pretty good rate. I'm not sure if a TA is able to offer the military discounts - others wiser than I may know.

I would never book with a TA again, we booked with a TA this time (well originally booked direct and then transfered over to TA when they offered us $100 off Carnival Military rate) well, when she called back all of a sudden it was now only $13 total off and it takes DAYS to hear back from them. Never again.

I'm Just Wondering......how Can Carnival Be Out Of Guarantee Rooms But A Travel Agent Still Have Some? I Was Also Hoping To Book Through Carnival But No Guarantee Rooms Were Available. I Did Get A Guarantee Room From An Online Ta. Hope I Find No Down Falls To This. Do You Think If I Had Called Carnival That They Would Have Honored The Price I Saw Online? It Also Came With Free Travel Insurance.

Cruising In Nov.:)

Thanks!

I think I'm going to go driect through Carnivla on this one, as savings just aren't materializing from the TA's.

how Can Carnival Be Out Of Guarantee Rooms But A Travel Agent Still Have Some?

the TA may have booked a block of BL guarantee cabin and then been unable to sell all of them yet. Thus they're unavailable for Carnival to sell, but available for the TA.

There are good and bad TA's just as there are PVP's. I happen to have a very good TA that provides good service and has always beat Carnival and by quite a bit in price in the past. I have tried it both ways and will stick with my TA. Of course I am not one of those type people that will call ten different agencies to save a few bucks either. My TA takes care of their loyal customers. You will have to find what works for you.

I have used Carnival once and had great results, will use them the next time as I am also tired of waiting for the ta to get back to me and then the savings not that much.

If you see a discounted price online you can quote the source and they will honor everything about it.

All travel agents are only allowed to advertise the same prices as the Carnival website has so you shouldn't see a lower price unless the price of the cruise goes down.

I have always used a TA for my cruises,until my recent one on Triumph. We were using points on a credit card,to get a free upgrade and had to book directly with Carnival to do this. The person I got on the line was very friendly and extremely helpful. Another thing I found out,and really liked. if I went into the Carnival.com site,it knew my name and had all my cruise info,and also told me how many days til cruise time. Kind of cool, and made you feel really welcome.

All you have to do is register on the Carnival website to see all the information you stated. I'm booked with a travel agent and my information comes up when I visit the site.:)

Bill

Get a price from both PVP, TA and anybody else you can check, see who wants you to book with them, had problem with Air with PVP so we went to the TA or book it yourself sometimes. Always check around and make sure you are getting a complete price, taxes and other add on before you book. Its fun to check around just make sure you are checking apples to apples not apples and oranges.;)

Carnival is by far the best using a PPV you have direct contact with Carnival, if you use a TA then everthing has to go through them. I am retired military and our ppv sends emails with all future availabilities.

Next time I book it will be with a PVP, In fact a specific one.

I booked directly on the Carnival website, and then found a PVP who is not getting credit for my booking but was still willing to jump through hoops to get me discounts, answer questions and arrange things.

I Have been on 10 cruises all together, 5 on Carnival. Our first was booked thru a TA and surprise - no upgrade! The next four all thru Carnival - all huge upgrades! Our next cruise - Triumph Dec 10 - thru Carnival - again a big upgrade - Greg Liaw at Carnival couldn't be any nicer or more helpful! Just my experiences. 54 days to go!

Colleen

Archived