forbidden items ????

Ziggy7

"Don't buy forbidden items, like black coral or turtle-shell items. Don't smuggle. Enough said? [And don't do "a favor" for someone who wants you to carry something into this country for you ... please! -- Ed.]"

This is a quote I read on another board, how do we know what is forbidden items in Cozumel and Grand Cayman ???

Anyone know of a link stating what all these forbidden items are ??? Thanks! :)

Conch shells ??? are they forbidden ????

It depends on where you buy Black Coral - if it is from Bernard Passman's "Black Coral And", then you are quite safe buying it. His store is recommended by the Port Lecturer. I have a few pieces of jewellery from them and they are very reputable.

I would never buy Black Coral from any other store in GC or from someone off the street, as a friend did and ended up buying a piece of junk.

Don't think Conch shells are forbidden - we have one from Florida

Guest Anorak33

It depends on which conch it is. For example if you go to this very interesting webpage:

http://www.jaxshells.org/kwest.htm

you will read that:

In the grass we found huge Pink Conchs, Strombus gigas Linnaeus,

1758 with perfect flaring lips. Oh, how I wanted one of these beauties!

The law said "no," however, so they were photographed and safely

returned to their marine grazing grounds. In Florida, the Pink Conch

is protected and may not be collected.

Fines are heavy for offenders.

Thanks Everyone,

I will be attending the shopping talks onboard.

Is there anything else that you know of that is forbidden

that I should be aware of, incase I miss hearing it at the talk ???

And run and run and run and run .... :)

At Grand Cayman you will be informed:

"Please note: Although turtle shell products are on sale at the Farm, guests must be informed that it is against U.S. Customs regulations to import these products into the USA."

Hope that helps.

Some of these things can get complicated. For instance, Cuban cigars are out, but books are OK, and apparently the only prohibition on Sierra Leone is diamonds. You cannot bring back any item manufactured out of wildlife or fish, but sometimes hunting trophys can be OK under some conditions (would this include skeets? :rolleyes: ).

But don't take my word for it. The U.S. Customs service has a lengthy explanation of what and what cannot be brought into the country as part of their "Know Before You Go" info on their website. It would both be informative and help pass the time waiting for your cruise. Check out:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/leavingarrivinginUS/vacation/know_beforeu_go.xml#15

Some of these things can get complicated. For instance, Cuban cigars are out, but books are OK, and apparently the only prohibition on Sierra Leone is diamonds. You cannot bring back any item manufactured out of wildlife or fish, but sometimes hunting trophys can be OK under some conditions (would this include skeets? :rolleyes: ).

But don't take my word for it. The U.S. Customs service has a lengthy explanation of what and what cannot be brought into the country as part of their "Know Before You Go" info on their website. It would both be informative and help pass the time waiting for your cruise. Check out:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/leavingarrivinginUS/vacation/know_beforeu_go.xml#15

Wow great site Thanks!

Thanks for all the info everyone, it has been a big help!

Archived