Free Wifi for laptops?

jdlg4silb

No, it's not free. If you use your own laptop, you will still pay the same internet fees that you'd pay to use their computers. The difference in amount you spend comes when you are able to download your email, log off to read it, compose your return email, and log back on to send it. Therefore, you will use less minutes than you would if you used their computers. On a few ships, you will be able to connect from your room, but on most of them, you have to go to a public area to get a WiFi signal on your laptop.

It depends on the ship as to where the wifi is...some have it shipwide including cabins, some it is just certain areas. There may also be a ship out there with no wifi. It is not free however and in fact it is quite expensive and slow to boot. I think the package I bought this summer on the Splendor was 250 minutes for $100. At least 1/3 of the minutes were eaten up by logging on and waiting for pages to load. I probably won't bother next time but to have the option while out of the country for 2 weeks was nice.

1/3 of the minutes were eaten up by logging on and waiting for pages to load. .

What I do is keep the Laptop plugged in and running, keep the webpages you need open at all times so that there is no time wasted going to them each time you log on, all thats needed is a refresh.

I keep the Live from the Cruise Ship thread I have going up and a web-based email account like hotmail.com up.

Turn off your Pop-up blocker so you can get the Log Off box.

Ensure you keep those websites loaded and saved as Favorites so you can go right to them when you first log on, espesically the Airport websites that you need to log on and confirm your flight and print out your boarding passes. Use the printer down in the Internet Cafe.

And lastly, write all thats needed on Wordpad, then log on and do a Copy/Paste and log off immediately.

I usually get 6 days out of the 100 minutes and thats with uploading a few pictures too.

Fred

I always use email to keep in touch with the folks at home, because it's definitely cheaper than using a phone. However, I think I will leave my laptop at home in the future, unless I know I will be able to connect from my room. It's just too much trouble to lug it around and drag it out during embarkation check in, then have to lug it around the ship, looking for a place to sit where there is a signal. I took mine with me last time, but I ended up using the ship's computers. It's very convenient to use your laptop from the privacy and comfort of your room, but not worth the trouble otherwise.....even though you do save $$ by using the laptop wisely. One other point in favor of laptops that I should mention is that by having your bookmarks on it, you don't waste those expensive minutes typing in web page addresses as you do on the ship's computers.

What I do is keep the Laptop plugged in and running, keep the webpages you need open at all times so that there is no time wasted going to them each time you log on, all thats needed is a refresh.

I keep the Live from the Cruise Ship thread I have going up and a web-based email account like hotmail.com up.

Turn off your Pop-up blocker so you can get the Log Off box.

Ensure you keep those websites loaded and saved as Favorites so you can go right to them when you first log on, espesically the Airport websites that you need to log on and confirm your flight and print out your boarding passes. Use the printer down in the Internet Cafe.

And lastly, write all thats needed on Wordpad, then log on and do a Copy/Paste and log off immediately.

I usually get 6 days out of the 100 minutes and thats with uploading a few pictures too.

Fred

Some of the issues have to do with the satellite connection. I discussed this at length with the IT Mgr. on the Splendor as I was having such a problem with it. He said everyone was having the issues and it was with the satellite connection. I did keep my pages open but reload would sometimes just never load...it was painful. At one point I went down to the internet cafe as I was trying to check in for my return flight and he said even the computers there were having the same issues so I never got to check-in for my return flight and I used an extra 18 minutes over my 250 at the per minute charge...

Maybe I would have better luck on the West Coast vs. Europe.

One of the "OLD" advantages to cruising was being out of reach. Some should try it today.

Dan

While I find it to be extremely relaxing to be away from the telephone while cruising, I still need to keep in touch with the home front by email. It's not simply a matter of wanting to "talk" to friends and family. We have caregivers for a large number of livestock, and we need to keep in touch with those people. Sometimes, there will be issues concerning their care that need to be addressed while we are away. So that's the main reason why I check email a couple of times a day while we're cruising. ;) I agree with you about the advantages of being out of reach, though! :D

Can I access the internet while on board? spacer.gif For those guests who want the option of staying connected to the rest of the world, we proudly offer access to the internet in our onboard Internet Cafés and wireless networks using the ships own satellite connection. The Internet Café is open 24-hours a day and features private terminals with the latest flat panel computer monitors. Guests will have the ability to send and receive e-mail, chat online and access the full internet. Guests can also access their own e-mail account through AOL, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Guests will have the option to create their very own temporary e-mail account with our "CruiseE-mail"™.

Wireless internet access is available across our entire fleet. Depending on the vessel, we have either limited wireless access in and around the shipboard internet café and select public areas or a complete "Bow2stern" wireless network. The complete "Bow2stern" wireless network is currently available on Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Pride, Carnival Legend, Carnival Victory, Carnival Valor, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Freedom and Carnival Splendor.

The "Bow2Stern" network allows our guests to enjoy Internet access from literally anywhere on board, including all public areas, lounges, bars and pool decks, guest suites and cabins. To take full advantage of this feature, guests should bring their personal laptops along with them, as the number of laptops available for rent onboard is limited. In addition, this network provides supports the latest Wi-Fi enabled iPhones, PalmPilots and Blackberrys.

Internet Café Price List

We have several options available to guests wishing to use the internet service. the below options are available. Please note that the internet pricing options* are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop.

• An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

• A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute ("Pay-As-You-Go") is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted Time Plans

Discounted Time Plans offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation. Please note that there is no refund for unused minutes on these Time Plans and upgrading selected pricing options is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises less than six days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)

• 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises six days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)

• 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Wireless Network Cards and Laptop Rental

Guests can rent a Wireless Network Card -- to connect their laptops to the ship's wireless signal -- at the rate or $10.00 per day. Optional insurance can also be purchased for $3.00 per day. These fees are in addition to the Internet price plans. A limited number of laptops are available for guests to rent with a Time Plan purchase for an additional $10.00 per day, with optional insurance is also available for $3.00 per day.

*All internet access charges will be billed directly to the guest's onboard "Sail & Sign" Account. In addition, when using a Café terminal, files can be downloaded as "read only" but cannot be saved, since a floppy disk cannot be inserted into the PC's. Users who bring their own laptop can read and save files without restriction.

I know you can use ship's computer and pay, but if you bring your own laptop, can you get free wifi?

I assume you would have wifi only where the computer areas are, true?

Thanks!

Not free on Carnival. I was told on my last Carnival cruise, if you sail in a suite on Princess you get free Internet in your cabin.

Just off the Imagination...

We were able to get wireless in our cabin on the Upper Deck. They did offer a discount price midway through the cruise from 4-6 p.m., but it was back to full price on the last day before docking (which was the day most people wanted to use internet to check on flights, etc.)

In my letter to Carnival, I made a suggestion that as a courtesy they could provide some free internet time when there are itinerary changes due to hurricanes. It would have been nice to reach family and friends by email since most of our ports were changed.

On Carnival's website they did mention that we went to Freeport (instead of Grand Turk), but it never got posted that we were spending two days in Nassau instead of one (Half Moon Cay had been cancelled). So unless we contacted relatives back at home, there was no way for them to know where we were at the time.

I know some of you think it's nuts that others take laptops along on vacations, but as a business owner, I appreciate having the opportunity to have internet access "just in case". Personally, having free internet on board would make me more likely to cruise multiple times in a year because I could be on vacation and get some down time, while still being "available" to put out any "fires" back at home, if needed.

Didnt read all the post so I dont know if this has been said. But on my last cruise on the conquest I was able to connect to the resorts on the mainland. Speeds were decent and only had access while docked, but i was able to keep in touch with friends while i was away. And for the people who will bash me for doing this, it was an unsecured network so anyone with wireless access could do the same. I didnt hack their network and steal access.

I had an A~W~E~S~O~M~E wifi connection on the Holiday last month in the internet cafe. It was very fast!

Also, watch your capers everyday. On our last sailing, they had a different internet special pricing 3 of the 5 days. :) Including my connection fee, I got an hour of wifi service for $20. I thought that was reasonable.

Didnt read all the post so I dont know if this has been said. But on my last cruise on the conquest I was able to connect to the resorts on the mainland. Speeds were decent and only had access while docked, but i was able to keep in touch with friends while i was away. And for the people who will bash me for doing this, it was an unsecured network so anyone with wireless access could do the same. I didnt hack their network and steal access.

Nothing wrong with that in my book.

You'll pay the going rate.....and it's slow as molasses...really not worth it.

If I need to get an email going for one reason or another, I just pay as I go. I don't send anything unless it's important.

I have used their computer to print boarding passes, however.

Unless you absolutely must have it, leave the laptop at home.

• 2 months later...
One of the "OLD" advantages to cruising was being out of reach. Some should try it today.

Dan

you're reading THIS THREAD about computers.....Hmmm makes one wonder what brought you here~!! [grins and waves away the luddite] some of us have *needs*....and being able to blog/post/wiki/journal whilst on board is FUN for us! some should not judge.... "OLD" heh heh that's too easy.....

you're reading THIS THREAD about computers.....Hmmm makes one wonder what brought you here~!! [grins and waves away the luddite] some of us have *needs*....and being able to blog/post/wiki/journal whilst on board is FUN for us! some should not judge.... "OLD" heh heh that's too easy.....

I rest my case.

Dan

Archived