GEM 6/19 Code Oscar(s)

vandals04

Within a few hrs of leaving NYC we had to turn back to have 2 passengers removed by the Coast Guard (medical emergency). Then the first day in Bermuda we had 2 code oscars within about 15 minutes. Anybody know what any of these were about?

Within a few hrs of leaving NYC we had to turn back to have 2 passengers removed by the Coast Guard (medical emergency). Then the first day in Bermuda we had 2 code oscars within about 15 minutes. Anybody know what any of these were about?

Code Alpha is the code name used on NCL for a medical emergency. Code Oscar is man overboard. Why would someone have jumped overboard when the ship was docked already in Bermuda? Weird!! :cool:

Code Alpha is the code name used on NCL for a medical emergency. Code Oscar is man overboard. Why would someone have jumped overboard when the ship was docked already in Bermuda? Weird!! :cool:

I am wondering if the Staff Captain was running a drill for the the people who man the life boats? They are always doing some kind of training or running drill when they are in port. In view of the gentleman jumping off The Spirit, it may have been the first chance thius Staff Captain had to review procedures and run a drill for his people.

I am wondering if the Staff Captain was running a drill for the the people who man the life boats? They are always doing some kind of training or running drill when they are in port. In view of the gentleman jumping off The Spirit, it may have been the first chance thius Staff Captain had to review procedures and run a drill for his people.

Exactly... a drill is what it probably was. :) Been studying too much to think straight but a boat drill is a definite possibility.

My wife and I were on the same cruise, I don't think it was a drill. How could you miss when the boat turned around? lol We did a 180 turn about 11:00pm. The captain came on the ships intercom 4X over the next two hours or so with updates. You could see the light of NYC we were that close. During the transfer of 2 people the ship was dead in the water.

We "heard"

In Kings Warf someone fell off deck 6 or 7 (leaning too far out to take a picture). Another person literally fell off the gang plank into the catch netting on the side. How you do that I have no idea. Must have been a sight to see. LOL

I'm looking at the Daily for Wednesday right now and don't see anything about a drill. We were gone from 8:30am until 7 pm. Don't know for sure because we were not there at the time

intercom in the cabins? we had the slider open to the wake-that's all i can think of! LOL hope those folks are doing ok. i took a horrible fall the last day of a cruise a few years ago. terrible feeling to suddenly realize you are just a speck in the ocean. had to work on my husband to cruise again even though i was not seriously hurt...very lucky. marble and water don't mix!

intercom in the cabins? we had the slider open to the wake-that's all i can think of! LOL hope those folks are doing ok. i took a horrible fall the last day of a cruise a few years ago. terrible feeling to suddenly realize you are just a speck in the ocean. had to work on my husband to cruise again even though i was not seriously hurt...very lucky. marble and water don't mix!

I could not believe how loud it was, the speaker was right above the bed. I really could have done with out the last announcement, we were sound asleep. lol

We were on the cruise and wide awake during the whole incident the first night when we turned back (and how could we NOT be with the updates from the captain every 20 minutes) :rolleyes: ?

That one was a medical emergency, not sure exactly what happened, but we stopped and they offloaded a passenger to a small boat.

I had heard nothing about the people jumping/falling off the ship until I went to the Captain's talk on the last sea day. Someone asked him if passengers jumped/fell off the ship, and he flatly said NO. I honestly can't remember what he said other than that, but he denied that it was anything that dramatic.

The two things I do know...someone got hurt jet skiing in Bermuda and had to have surgery there, and a girl tripped on the stairs and sprained her ankle.

I think every cruise I've been on (40+) has had some sort of medical drama, whether we had to divert or not.

Wow... sounds like your Gem cruise was eventful. The first and only time I've heard a Code Alpha paged outside of a drill was on the Norwegian EPIC this past March and it was a medical emergency in the EPIC Theater. I'm not sure what it was exactly but it involved a kid. The medical team came out by the entrance to the Manhattan Room and cut across the ship. A medical emergency at sea is bad enough but on a ship the size of the EPIC it takes that much longer for help to arrive. We didn't turn around and head back to Miami though.

Hopefully the people who were brought back are ok. :)

I can see the jet ski thing happening. My wife and I took the one hour tour late Thursday afternoon. We are 48 and 49. I've ridden jet ski's before and I'm a boater. But I have not ridden that fast in 20 years. You have to run flat out (45mph) 90% of the trip just to keep up with the kid (guide). I'm surprised more people don't get hurt

Yes, one announcement from the Captain would have been fine

From what I hear is that the 180 for the medical emergency was for a man who broke his legy. A Coast Guard ship tied up to us, the wife was lowered first onto the CG ship followed by her husband. There were 2 people who fell into the water just after we docked, one was backing up while taking pictures and fell into the water (I tell my wife to back up all the time, especially near cliffs - but she is still here) the other either did the same thing or fell when getting off the gangway. There was staff drill scheduled for 10 AM, but it was delayed a bit because of the incidents. We did hear that a person fell from the Veendam while docked in Hamilton, how true, I don't know.

I was on the Gem the week of 6/12. Ironically, we had a medical emergency as well. On Tuesday morning, the Captain made an announcement that the ship would be increasing speed so that she could meet a medical transport near Bermuda by 7:00 pm (we were scheduled to dock in Bermuda on Wednesday morning).

I never heard any details about the person taken off the ship - although I assumed it was not a life-threatening situation since the person was not air-lifted.

Archived