Royal clipper grenadines a few tips

shilu

Hi all,

Just a quick report from my Grenadines cruise on 25th Jan 2014.

What a wonderful and different cruising experience!

You do have to go with a laid back attitude, you are on holiday after all. This is not a military operation like the big cruise ships, so timings etc can change.

Embarkation- very easy as mentioned previously.

Rooms- this is a sailing vessel and rooms do vary. If you are unhappy let the hotel manager know, he can move you to a different room in the same price band if they are available. We had no issues but it was amazing to hear some of the petty complaints about rooms not being big enough!

Breakfast and Lunch is buffet so you can turn up at any time it is running and sit wherever you want.

Tea, coffee and water is freely available all day long.

Dinner is usually from 7.30 and it is better to turn up at this time as it is a little more formal with waiter/waitress service.

Excursions- we never did the RC excursions as it was easier to do a taxi tour and cheaper. Quite a few people found the tours rushed. Most of the time we were the only ship in port so you could haggle the prices down, and if you shared with another couple it was cheaper again.

Grenada- lovely island, definitely do a taxi tour but research where you would like to go.

Tobago Cays- very easy to go for a snorkel with the turtles $15 water taxis off the beach but not if the waves are choppy.

Beach bar-b-que fantastic and lookout for Iguanas, they are amazing!

St Vincent- the town feels a bit rough so do a 1-2 hour taxi tour visiting the fort and mesopotamia valley. Nearly everyone that went into town came back within 1 hour so we were glad we viewed the island.

Bequia- good for a lazy afternoon, beach or shopping or sightseeing

St Lucia-the best island for us by far.We did a taxi tour with Kimbert from phv tours and we started in Marigot Bay and met up with the ship in Souffriere, really great day, really lovely guide.

Martinique- visit the Balata gardens, they are beautiful. The ship's tour was very rushed apparently so we were glad we did this on our own. The main town was no different to home just a cosmopolitan shopping area if you like shopping but the island is beautiful.

Barbados- lovely island and lots to do depending on personal taste.

Ship's activities- snorkelling at the base of the pitons- the best- go on the 2 o'clock schedule as you are more likely to get a full hour but 40mins was plenty as you saw so much.

Watersports and diving, the waves were a bit choppy this trip so not much was offered but the snorkel gear which you kept all week was great for the beach days.

Mast climbing was offered several times in the week.

Spa-book in for the last day as prices are slashed.

Disembarkation-again very easy but we got off early before everyone started to queue for immigration!

All in all, a fantastic trip, and I would love to do costa rica or cuba with star clippers.

Shilu

I did not climb the mast but it was apparently amazing.

Just a tip, lots of people queued up for the first mast climbing session almost as if it would only be offered the once, but if you wait they do offer mast climbing a couple more times in the week anyway, hope that helps,

Shilu

• 4 months later...

muskatnuss - we did the Grenadines on the RC a couple of weeks before Shilu this year. I still have the daily programmes which indicate the following timings (assume that going ashore is at or shortly after arrival)

Saturday - Barbados All aboard 21.30 Sailaway 22.00

Sunday - Union Island / Chatham Bay Grenadines. Arrival 12.00. Last Tender (back to the ship) 16.30. Sailaway 17.00

Monday - Grenada - St. Georges Arrival 12.00 All on board 23.00. Sailaway 23.45

Tuesday - Tobago Cays - Arrival 09.30. Last Tender 16.30. Sailaway 17.00

Wednesday - St Vincent and Bequia. Arrival Kingstown, St. Vincent 08.00. Last Tender 12.00. Departure 12.30....... Admiralty Bay Bequia Arrival 14.00. Last Tender (18.00 Beach. 18.30 Port). Sailaway 19.00

Thursday - Martinique. Fort de France arrival 08.00 Last Gangway 11.30 Departure 12.00. Anse d'Arlet - Arrival 13.00 Last Tender (18.00 Beach. 18.30 Port) Sailaway 19.00.

Friday - St. Lucia. Marigot Bay Arrival 07.30 Last Tender 11.30 Departure 12.00. Soufriere Arrival 13.00 Last Tender 16.30 Sailaway 17.00

Saturday - Barbados - Arrival 07.00

Hi muskatness,

The itinerary does seem port intensive, but trust me, it was brilliant and relaxing. St Lucia was one of my favourites. It was definitely worth doing an island tour, private taxi from Marigot bay to Souffriere ( we used Kimbert from PHV tours). Try not to use ship's tours as a lot of people complained of how rushed it was and how little time they had at each stop, hope that helps,

Shilu

Hi "Shilu" & "Muskatnuss" (plus "Mrs Miggins" if you're there?)

As we're on RC in Sept, just a couple of questions about the evenings and dinner:

How casual is the dress code in the evenings for both men & women? Can men wear shorts & sandals, or is it more chinos & shoes? Do ladies wear dresses and/or casual trousers?

How much menu choice is there in the evening. I'm almost a vegetarian, and a fussy one at that! I could live on vegetables and salads. If there's not veggie main course that I fancy, would they serve me a salad or a double portion of potato and veg instead? I usually make do, and don't make a fuss, so wouldn't ask for anything that wasn't one the menu.

If there's any other hints and tips, I'd welcome them. "Jobake" has already given me some info.

Thanks.

No Shorts!!! Sandals with socks. Barefeet - no go!!! Ladies casual slacks or light Dresses. No Problem with Food. You will gain on the hips!!! Lots of veggie-stuff and salads. Take a starter for the main meal. Just say that and you'll be fine. It will take you one day to get used to all.

Love the Star Clipper Ships!!!

• 2 months later...

Yes, no Problem with the luggage. Suitcases are fine, and if they don't fit under the bed, then your Steward will take them for you and return them before you pack to go home. That happened to us 3 times. Our samsonite was a Little to fat! When are you on board in december???

Hi all,

Just a quick report from my Grenadines cruise on 25th Jan 2014.

What a wonderful and different cruising experience!

You do have to go with a laid back attitude, you are on holiday after all. This is not a military operation like the big cruise ships, so timings etc can change.

Embarkation- very easy as mentioned previously.

Rooms- this is a sailing vessel and rooms do vary. If you are unhappy let the hotel manager know, he can move you to a different room in the same price band if they are available. We had no issues but it was amazing to hear some of the petty complaints about rooms not being big enough!

Breakfast and Lunch is buffet so you can turn up at any time it is running and sit wherever you want.

Tea, coffee and water is freely available all day long.

Dinner is usually from 7.30 and it is better to turn up at this time as it is a little more formal with waiter/waitress service.

Excursions- we never did the RC excursions as it was easier to do a taxi tour and cheaper. Quite a few people found the tours rushed. Most of the time we were the only ship in port so you could haggle the prices down, and if you shared with another couple it was cheaper again.

Grenada- lovely island, definitely do a taxi tour but research where you would like to go.

Tobago Cays- very easy to go for a snorkel with the turtles $15 water taxis off the beach but not if the waves are choppy.

Beach bar-b-que fantastic and lookout for Iguanas, they are amazing!

St Vincent- the town feels a bit rough so do a 1-2 hour taxi tour visiting the fort and mesopotamia valley. Nearly everyone that went into town came back within 1 hour so we were glad we viewed the island.

Bequia- good for a lazy afternoon, beach or shopping or sightseeing

St Lucia-the best island for us by far.We did a taxi tour with Kimbert from phv tours and we started in Marigot Bay and met up with the ship in Souffriere, really great day, really lovely guide.

Martinique- visit the Balata gardens, they are beautiful. The ship's tour was very rushed apparently so we were glad we did this on our own. The main town was no different to home just a cosmopolitan shopping area if you like shopping but the island is beautiful.

Barbados- lovely island and lots to do depending on personal taste.

Ship's activities- snorkelling at the base of the pitons- the best- go on the 2 o'clock schedule as you are more likely to get a full hour but 40mins was plenty as you saw so much.

Watersports and diving, the waves were a bit choppy this trip so not much was offered but the snorkel gear which you kept all week was great for the beach days.

Mast climbing was offered several times in the week.

Spa-book in for the last day as prices are slashed.

Disembarkation-again very easy but we got off early before everyone started to queue for immigration!

All in all, a fantastic trip, and I would love to do costa rica or cuba with star clippers.

Shilu

Thank you for posting this informative summary of your cruise earlier this year - we are planning to go the same time next year (Jan. 24) and I have a few questions regarding your comments. We have been to St. Lucia before on larger cruise ships, but have not been to Soufriere. You note that snorkeling is excellent and that you also went on a taxi w/phv tours -- did you prearrange this? I definitely want to snorkel and see that port but also want to see what's in Marigot.

We were just in Grenada this past March and took an island (inland) tour which included a waterfall and Grand Etang Park so I want to snorkel there --- is there snorkeling other than the place where the concrete figurines were placed underwater?

St Vincent - I see you took an island tour -- I assume you got a taxi at the port; and Bequia -- what's to sightsee?

It appears you did not take any ship excursions, but had a great time with your taxis and local tours.

Thanks again for the info. You can email me at mimi underscore msa05 at yahoo dot com.

Hi Mimi,

In St lucia, we got Kimbert from PHV tours to meet us (prearranged), and drive us through banana plantations etc (rum tasting), to Souffriere. You can stop off to do a little 45 min trek of the pitons on a trail. We met up with the ship in Souffriere and took it's snorkelling excursion which was well organised, to the base of the Pitons.

Bequia is great for chilling and sunbathing. You can take a taxi tour to view the island, but probably not required.

I am not sure about snorkelling in Grenada but a lot of people just took water taxis or taxis to the nearest beach and snorkelled off it.

St Vincent, it was easy enough to catch a cab, but barter hard, especially if you are the only ship in dock

• 1 month later...

We did the Grenadines on the RC in January this year. The RC anchored off St. Georges and we were tendered in to the Cruise Terminal pier (thus NOT a wet landing) and went out in to St Georges through the Cruise Terminal building.

Arrival at St. Georges was scheduled for 12.00 (midday). Last tender (from town back to ship) was scheduled for 23.00 hours. Also "All on board" was scheduled for 23.00 hours, so those two times do not fit exactly - best to check carefully and, maybe, get back on board sometime before the last available time. Sailaway scheduled for 23.45.

I wonder if you have been to Grenada before?