Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Dominican Republic

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tender to Cayo Levantando question?

I heard that NCL tenders here for free or at a minimal price?? Can anyone tell me if its true? Plus, I have heard good and bad about this small island. The pictures on Youtube look gorgeous! Tell me what you think??

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA1708 View Post
I heard that NCL tenders here for free or at a minimal price?? Can anyone tell me if its true? Plus, I have heard good and bad about this small island. The pictures on Youtube look gorgeous! Tell me what you think??

I was on the NCL Gem 9 night out of NY which stopped at Samana. My fiance and I took the tender to Cayo Levantado. It cost us 14.99 per person. The tenders are operated by a local company and they go directly from the ship to the island. We didn't know what to expect when we got there, but we were pleasantly surprised. We didn't eat any meals there, so I can't speak to that. I drank Presidente beer 12 oz. and it cost $3 per drink. The beer was also ice cold. My fiance enjoyed a pina colada that was made in a hollowed out pineapple for $5. We enjoyed our time there. We didn't feel it was too crowded. There were tenders returning every hour starting at 1pm. As long as the price is still 14.99, I would recommend it.

Old January 29th, 2013, 04:27 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeriv79 View Post
I was on the NCL Gem 9 night out of NY which stopped at Samana. My fiance and I took the tender to Cayo Levantado. It cost us 14.99 per person. The tenders are operated by a local company and they go directly from the ship to the island. We didn't know what to expect when we got there, but we were pleasantly surprised. We didn't eat any meals there, so I can't speak to that. I drank Presidente beer 12 oz. and it cost $3 per drink. The beer was also ice cold. My fiance enjoyed a pina colada that was made in a hollowed out pineapple for $5. We enjoyed our time there. We didn't feel it was too crowded. There were tenders returning every hour starting at 1pm. As long as the price is still 14.99, I would recommend it.
Were there beach chairs/umbrellas for rent and if so, how much? Do you know what time the last tender goes back so you can stay until you have to get back on the ship?

Diamond Plus Member

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Was on 1/9ncl cruise. Was discounted to 14.99 on ship. First tender to island was 9 am. Tender ride 15 minutes. Tenders start back at 1, 2 and 3. White chairs free blue chairs need to pay. They don't speak English on island. Water was cold. Can't really give a review cause was sick and didn't enjoy myself

Old February 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the input, another question I am booked on the Gem for Dec 2013, I have gotten on the NCL website & looked up there shore excursions & I do not see a beach day at Cayo offered?? Do I need to call them directly or ???

Old February 20th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA1708 View Post
Thanks for the input, another question I am booked on the Gem for Dec 2013, I have gotten on the NCL website & looked up there shore excursions & I do not see a beach day at Cayo offered?? Do I need to call them directly or ???

I just looked it up and saw it listed. Check again.