Chankanaab Park

PurpleMonkey

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some honest opinions from anyone that has been to Chankanaab National Park? I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has done the Manatee encounter. We are going to be in Cozumel at the end of September and I am really struggling with deciding what to do here!!

Thanks!!!

:):):)

Chankannab is a great little park. We have been there two or three times. There are taxis waiting outside to return you from where they picked you up or else where.

The last time we went there was a sea lion show included with your ticket price. Nice beach to swim or snorkel.

Bars and restaurants also.

A Mayan village to explore.

They even have a nice website.

We are planning to return there next month on the Carnival Legend.

Hope this helps.

I love Chankanaab and the manatee swim was one of the best excursions I have ever done. We are going again in October and I plan to do it again. There are less people than the dolphin encounter and you get quite a bit of time with the manatees.

The manatee encounter was phenomenal. I was the only person, so I got to swim with them for 30 minutes, and the trainers gave me a bajillion heads of lettuce and papaya to feed the manatees. They let me wear a mask, so I could put my head underwater and watch them (though the life jacket doesn't let you get too far under).

Pictures aren't as good as with dolphins, because they aren't out of the water much, but they come out just a bit to pose with you- however most of the CD (if you get it) is going to be you and a gray blob. I still go it. I love manatees.

I still joke with my husband that the manatee tried to drown me. Their flippers are surprisingly strong, and man do they want that lettuce- so they grab your legs and pull you!

We also really enjoyed snorkeling there, but without an animal encounter, the admission is too expensive, so we won't go back.

I just tried to book online directly with the park and the web site wouldn't let me book when I selected that I was coming from a ship. Can I just take a taxi there and book the manatee encounter at the park.

We have been to Chankanaab twice and absolutely love the place. It is a beautiful place to go with tons of things to do there. The snorkeling there is also amazing.

We did the dolphin swim and they included the manatees in with it. So, not the full manatee encounter, but it was amazing.

I have 2 reviews in my signature line with tons of photos of the place.

Have a great time. :)

I just tried to book online directly with the park and the web site wouldn't let me book when I selected that I was coming from a ship. Can I just take a taxi there and book the manatee encounter at the park.

I talked to a person through their live chat on their website and then we emailed each other a couple of times. She never asked me what ship or hotel I was staying at, just what time I would be in port. I booked the specal they are running for NCL passengers.

• 1 month later...

I was able to snap a photo of the cost breakdown for Dolphin Discovery...

P1050293.JPG

Here's the breakdown in US Dollars (using 13 pesos:1 dollar)

Guests Cost

1....................$78.46

2....................$134.61

3....................$167.69

4....................$198.84

5....................$230.76

6....................$261.53

7....................$293.07

8....................$324.61

9....................$356.15

10...................$386.92

When DW & did the Dolphin swim last year, we ended up with ~50 pictures. When the family did the swim this year (5 of us), we ended up with ~170 pictures.

I did not see a reference to this this year, but last year, you could a duplicate DVD of your photos for $10. So two couples could pay $208 for two DVDs (and all the pictures on both DVDs) instead of each couple paying $134.

We were able to purchase the package before our swim and got some extra pictures (B&W) and 5 prints for free.

The manatee encounter was phenomenal. I was the only person, so I got to swim with them for 30 minutes, and the trainers gave me a bajillion heads of lettuce and papaya to feed the manatees. They let me wear a mask, so I could put my head underwater and watch them (though the life jacket doesn't let you get too far under).

Pictures aren't as good as with dolphins, because they aren't out of the water much, but they come out just a bit to pose with you- however most of the CD (if you get it) is going to be you and a gray blob. I still go it. I love manatees.

I still joke with my husband that the manatee tried to drown me. Their flippers are surprisingly strong, and man do they want that lettuce- so they grab your legs and pull you!

We also really enjoyed snorkeling there, but without an animal encounter, the admission is too expensive, so we won't go back.

Admission is $21 (US)pp. That gets you admittance to the beach/snorkling areas, the pool and swim up bar, and the sea lion show.

Probably a silly question, but if we are not doing the animal encounters can I just pay the entrance fees when I arrive. And roughly how much is a taxi round trip for two people? Trying to decide whether to book this myself or go on the ship excursion...I would prefer to do it myself, I think.

Probably a silly question, but if we are not doing the animal encounters can I just pay the entrance fees when I arrive. And roughly how much is a taxi round trip for two people? Trying to decide whether to book this myself or go on the ship excursion...I would prefer to do it myself, I think.

Yes, you can just grab a taxi (depending on your location and how many people are in your party) there for around $15-$16 for up to 4 people and then pay the entrance fee of $21 to get in. There's a $2 off coupon you can find online to save a little. :)

Definitely just pay yourself, it's cheaper.

Edited by wantocruisemore

• 5 months later...
We did this in 2010 for DD's birthday. Wonderful experience. In fact, we did all three, the Royal Swim, the separate Manatee encounter that lasted about 45 minutes and the sea lion swim. Loved them all!

Jumping into this older thread a bit late....but hoping someone sees this. I hear a lot about the dolphin encounters on the CC board, but can anyone share their sea lion experience? We love sea lions (nothing against the dolphins and manatees - we love them all :D)). Just have a particular fondness for sea lions and I'm thinking of surprising my husband.

Can't find pricing info or details on the Chankanaab site. Any comments sure would be appreciated...thanks!

My Chankanaab Park question: Does anyone know the prices for the services within the park? The official website lists the extra costs for things like SNUBA or renting snorkeling equipment, but doesn't actually list any prices.

Did some digging and think I answered a couple of our questions here - just google dolphin discovery. At least that covers swims with animals. I'd still like to hear about the actual experience from someone who did the sea lion swim though.

Edited by Flafun888

P.S. I wonder if they will run the buy one get one free special again. I want to book for 4/27 now but I'm afraid the better special will come (right now it is 25% off).

Would you happen to know the last time that they ran it? And did it include manatees or sea lions?