Royal Caribbean -New Alcoholic Beverage Packages

Elizanessie

RCCL announcement today.

As an enhancement to Royal Caribbean International’s beverage program, we are excited to announce the launch of three Beverage Package options, giving our guests a no-hassle way to enjoy an all-inclusive beverage experience during their cruise holiday

Beverage packages are only available to book onboard on the following ships:

Independence of the Seas – available from 14th March 2011

Grandeur of the Seas - available from 13th March 2011

Legend of the Seas – available from 14th March 2011

Our customers will be able to enjoyable paying one set price for a wide variety of beverage choices

Beer Package: In this package customers can enjoy all beer brands onboard, by draft, can or bottle and house wines by the glass. Price: $29.00 per guest, per day

Classic Package: In the package customers can enjoy all of the benefits of the beer package as well as a list of spirits; brand names include Smirnoff, Beefeater and Johnny Walker and cocktails using the selected spirits available. Price $39.00 per guest, per day.

Premium Package: In the package customers can enjoy all of the benefits of the classic package as well as a list of premium spirits; brand names include Absolute, Bombay Sapphire and Johnny Walker Black and cocktails using the selected spirits available. Price $49.00 per guest, per day.

All above prices include gratuities and are based on per guest per day basis.

This sounds like a great idea! Even though I'm not a big drinker, I'd probably buy one of these packages just so I don't have to sign those flippin drink slips ALL the time;):)

This may be a factor for me in deciding to book IOS for 2012:D

RCCL announcement today.

As an enhancement to Royal Caribbean International’s beverage program, we are excited to announce the launch of three Beverage Package options, giving our guests a no-hassle way to enjoy an all-inclusive beverage experience during their cruise holiday

Our customers will be able to enjoyable paying one set price for a wide variety of beverage choices

Beer Package: In this package customers can enjoy all beer brands onboard, by draft, can or bottle and house wines by the glass. Price: $29.00 per guest, per day

Classic Package: In the package customers can enjoy all of the benefits of the beer package as well as a list of spirits; brand names include Smirnoff, Beefeater and Johnny Walker and cocktails using the selected spirits available. Price $39.00 per guest, per day.

Premium Package: In the package customers can enjoy all of the benefits of the classic package as well as a list of premium spirits; brand names include Absolute, Bombay Sapphire and Johnny Walker Black and cocktails using the selected spirits available. Price $49.00 per guest, per day.

I can't believe it. So all our moaning about the price of drinks may have paid of. R.C.I. have at last realised that the majority of cruisers from the U.K. perhaps would not return to their ships year in year out with such heavy drinks prices. Our golden Wedding Celebration with all the family in July will after all not have to be a dry celebration. Looking forward to how these new packages break down when buying rounds of drinks. Any ideas?/

Looking forward to how these new packages break down when buying rounds of drinks. Any ideas?/

I would guess that in order for a free drink to be "purchased" the cruiser's card would need to be swiped...and then swiped again and charged for those in the round who haven't bought the Package.:confused:

Hopefully more details will become available very soon.:D

I,m only guessing but on thomsons ships if you want the all inclusive package everyone in your booking party has to have it because of obvious reasons , so I suspect RCI will do the same otherwise it would be wide open to abuse.

Not checked the full details of this yet.

For comparison you can look at Celebrity version.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/packages/summary.do?categoryId=18&pagename=beverage_packages&cS=SIDENAV

RCCL have been running this on Celebrity for some time now it seemed to work well on our last trip for those that took it.

On celebrity you can book the package part way through so if you have a port intensive at the start you can save a few days worth.

Azamara has a reduced price versions which was introduced recently(they include soft drinks coffees/teas, wine with meals and tips in cruise price)

One advantage over the UK ships like Thomson AI is it is avaialble on an individual basis not cabin.

Sharing allthough easy to do is not a feature of these packages.

My two penneth on this is $30 a day on Beer, I think our last trip on the Indy a Bottle of Beer cost $6.00 so that would equate to 5 Bottles a Night. £20 for 5 Bottles, in our Local Supermarket I can buy the same Bottle for £1.50 or when on offer £1.00. I do not think I will be taking up the Package offer. I can have a Drink but no need to have a bath. You guessed I'm not a Big Drinker.

A much better idea would be to have a system similar to the OBC system, you buy a package at amount X and regardless of how many people are in your round the cost is deducted from the total amount.

So if there was only 2 of you and you had paid say $150 for 7 nights the figure reduces for every drink you buy and is charged to your seapass card ... so 2 drinks at say $7 each reduces your balance accordingly and does not matter if you buy for 6 people on one night ..... :)

This would be a far better idea and cannot be abused because when you have spent your $150 you would either have to pay more in at customer services or have no more drinks.

A much better idea would be to have a system similar to the OBC system, you buy a package at amount X and regardless of how many people are in your round the cost is deducted from the total amount.

So if there was only 2 of you and you had paid say $150 for 7 nights the figure reduces for every drink you buy and is charged to your seapass card ... so 2 drinks at say $7 each reduces your balance accordingly and does not matter if you buy for 6 people on one night ..... :)

This would be a far better idea and cannot be abused because when you have spent your $150 you would either have to pay more in at customer services or have no more drinks.

DUH : THats how it works now on all ships

My two penneth on this is $30 a day on Beer, I think our last trip on the Indy a Bottle of Beer cost $6.00 so that would equate to 5 Bottles a Night. £20 for 5 Bottles, in our Local Supermarket I can buy the same Bottle for £1.50 or when on offer £1.00. I do not think I will be taking up the Package offer. I can have a Drink but no need to have a bath. You guessed I'm not a Big Drinker.

I myself and DH and DD are very very light drinkers due to health problems and G/ Daughter 19 doesn't touch the stuff .But Son and Son-inlaw like a beer or 3. When I booked this cruise for our Golden Wedding I didn't know about the drinks prices and was somewhat taken aback. We have cruised on P.O. and the drinks prices were very fair. I guess I just want everything to go well for us ..as we won't ever be able to treat our family to a cruise ever again. Unless we live to be 109 and start saving now Ha Ha

S.H.R.

I myself and DH and DD are very very light drinkers due to health problems and G/ Daughter 19 doesn't touch the stuff .But Son and Son-inlaw like a beer or 3. When I booked this cruise for our Golden Wedding I didn't know about the drinks prices and was somewhat taken aback. We have cruised on P.O. and the drinks prices were very fair. I guess I just want everything to go well for us ..as we won't ever be able to treat our family to a cruise ever again. Unless we live to be 109 and start saving now Ha Ha

S.H.R.

They should be treating you.

Should be handy if the higher consumers can make use of the package

We have never had a problem taking a few drinks with us for cabin consumption.

From my experience of Mariner of the Seas last October, I'd definately buy the $29 beer package if I was on the above mentioned ships. At about $6 for a beer it doesn't take long to have 6 in a day and you've already made a saving. A couple around the pool, take one back to your room while you get ready, one with your dinner, then another 3 or 4 easily in a bar /show afterwards. That's seven or eight there no problem.

Dave ... So what you are saying is its great for Heavy Drinkers then ... :) but a waste of time for those who do not drink very much!

Insidecabin ... I know how it works on cruise ships, i was giving an alternative for people who drink less but may want to use their OBC for tours and buying other things DUH.

Dave ... So what you are saying is its great for Heavy Drinkers then ... :) but a waste of time for those who do not drink very much!

Insidecabin ... I know how it works on cruise ships, i was giving an alternative for people who drink less but may want to use their OBC for tours and buying other things DUH.

I wouldnt say what Dave mentioned would be classed as a heavy drinker!! I dont drink like that every day, but could quite easily do it on holiday cos thats what they are for...

So I think we will probably by the drinks package, then I wont be worried about the cost of a few beers. If the option is there, I would probably buy it every other day, or on days we are not in port

Jane:D

I agree with Sadari I might buy a package if it was for the Cabin, as not a Big Drinker D/H is a Diabetic why would I buy a package when I would be out of pocket, I will stick to how I purchase drinks.

Just a point on the Drinks packages! if you buy one do you have to pay for everyday of the cruise ? or as suggested by jadzhea pay for days you want them ? $29 a day would be good if it was for 2 people... Also can only 1 person from a couple purchase a package or do both have to buy one each ?

The package on Celebrity is on a PP not per cabin/booking basis so I suspect RCI will be the same.

Just to remind people that the level of drinking required to make this worth while is considered as "binge" in the uk allthough some would consider this "light weght"

pays your money takes your choice

What would happen if you bought a package, but was not a big drinker, would they refuse to serve you if you showed signs of being drunk. If they did would that make the contract null and void.

My wife and I will be on the IOTS tomorrow where this deal will apparently be available. We don't really drink beer but we do like a couple of cocktails whilst on holiday. However, if we both sign up to the middle package (where some cocktails are available) for the duration it would equate to $858!! $858 just for drinks on an 11 night cruise seems like a hell of a lot when you consider the price of teh whole cruise. Add to that the ongoing problems IOTS currently has with Norovirus (or, perhaps food poisoning - symptoms are similar) and if you are unlucky enough to be struck down, you won't want to drink anyway.

Just my tuppence worth

This is fantastic news -- just got off Eclipse and did order the premium package and will be writing a blog on the experience this week. One weird thing though and Liz, you address it here: I had trouble buying drinks for other people (my husband did not get the package and we had to present our cards individually every time).

So basically, any drink I buy is included in the package but you can only buy one at a time.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I would guess that in order for a free drink to be "purchased" the cruiser's card would need to be swiped...and then swiped again and charged for those in the round who haven't bought the Package.:confused:

Hopefully more details will become available very soon.:D

RCCL announcement today.

OK...maybe I am missing something here...but these packages seem incredibly expensive.

Costa have packages..the attached pdf is for the German market but is likely to go worldwide (however we do have the X1 & J2 packages already available)...

http://www.costa-allinclusive.de/

Loosely translated...

The first one is called "All Inclusive a la Costa" (replaces current X1 package), costs €13.00 for adults and €8.00 for kids. Drinks covered as the present X1 - beer, white and red wine, soft drinks and mineral water durng lunch and dinner in the buffet and main restaurant.

The second is "Ultra All Inclusive" (replaces J2 package), costs €20.00 per adult and €9.00 for kids. Drinks covered - drinks are available 24 hours a day (so long as the bar is open), in the MDR, buffets, Club, Samsara and wellness restaurants, all bars including coffee and choclate bars. Included are freshly pressed orange juice at breakfast, wine, beer, soft drinks etc. Not included are drinks over €7.50. champagne, drinks from the minibar.

For conversion purposes, the first package is $18 per adult, per day (kids its $11 per person, per day). The second is $27 per adult, per day (kids its $12 per day).

Bearing in mind that only a handful of drinks go over the €7.50 limit, the value of the package is really pretty good...its not for specific types of drink, its anything in the bar from orange juice to a full blown cocktail or beer.

For instance, my trip next year is 37 days...€740/$1030 for the all inclusive....set that against the same length of cruise with the RCI Premium package....€1305/$1814.

RCI is way more expensive...can't see why that would be since both lines offer similar labels/types of drink.

The Costa packages include the 15% service charge, the same as the RCI packages.

Very strange how much difference there is tween the two lines :eek:

Like I said though, maybe I am missing something :o

Very strange how much difference there is tween the two lines :eek:

Like I said though, maybe I am missing something :o

Ally you honestly cannot compare Costa to Royal Caribbean...its like apples to oranges in my opinion.

Thank you for the Costa prices but no matter that Costa drinks appear cheaper...I will stick with Royal Caribbean for my cruises & drinks :D

Maybe you are missing something by not trying Royal Caribbean :D

It is nice though that not everyone cruises with the same cruiseline...it helps give cruisers different opinions/options.

Archived