4 days in Amsterdam..public transportation

ladysail2

Hi..I'm spending 4 days in Amsterdam and will using the public transportation system...buses, trams and metro....can I buy an all-inclusive 'pass' that will be good on these forms of transportation? Could I buy that pass at the airport?

I am then going to spend 2 days in Rotterdam....could I buy a similar pass? Could I buy it at the train station?

Thanks for any guidance

Joyce :D

Have a look at this system that you can use for trains, buses etc. It sounds a bit complicated, but since you can use it in both cities and beyond it propably is the best for you. In your case you need each an anonymuscard, which can be bought at trainstations etc. More info also on that website.

The main point is you have to check IN and OUT each time you enter/leave train or buses. https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/?taal=en-

In case you want to travel by train (Amsterdam to Rotterdam?) be aware that NS want you to have at least E. 20,- on the card.

Also realise that dutch cities are more compact then in the USA or Canada. Many people simply walk around.

Edited by Ine

I have recently taken a short break in Amsterdam. There a number of different cards available. I bought a basic GVB 72 hour travel card for 16.50 euros, I think a 96 hour one would have been 23.50 euros. It covered me for all journeys on the metro, trams and blue & white buses (there is more than one bus company). I didn't actually use the buses because I was staying near a tram stop and the tram services are so good. I did use the metro once, which was also very easy.

I bought the card from the metro station ticket office at Amsterdam Centraal station. The time starts from when you commence your first journey, not when you buy the card. As Ine says, it is important to remember to touch in and out when getting on and off trams or buses and at metro stations. It's easier to remember than I thought it would be, because everyone is doing it. I thought the card was very good value. You'll love Amsterdam.

A big Thank You to everyone for all your replies. I really appreciate your efforts.

I'll be landing at the airport in Amsterdam and will be taking the 197 bus to my hotel. I'll be looking for something to get me on the bus.

I will visit all the websites given and decide what's best for my trip.

In London, I believe one has to tap in and out on the Metro, so I'm used to doing that!!

Again, thanks very much!! :D

We just returned from our cruise and stayed in Amsterdam three days pre cruise. Other than taking the train from the airport to central station, we walked everywhere. As Ine said earlier, if you are a walker Amsterdam is pretty compact. If your hotel is in the central area that would be my preferred method of getting around!

We just returned from our cruise and stayed in Amsterdam three days pre cruise. Other than taking the train from the airport to central station, we walked everywhere. As Ine said earlier, if you are a walker Amsterdam is pretty compact. If your hotel is in the central area that would be my preferred method of getting around!

I agree. We did use the metro a few times but I would review your itinerary before buying a pass. I think we used the metro 3 times in three days and one of those was to get to the ship.

I'll be looking for something to get me on the bus.

You can buy an "OV Chipkaart" (the fare card with the chip to tap in and out) at the railway ticket vending machines on the exit level of Schiphol Plaza, same level as where the bus platforms are.

An uncharged card is € 7,50 and can be charged at the same vending machines, usable for all methods of public transport with all companies to pay as you go (tap in, tap out, as long as you have at least € 4 on the card versus the train which requires € 20 as Ine said).

The 197 line is being operated by Connexxion. And the GVB operates most of the city with their white and blue buses, trams and metro.

A single way with the 197 to i.e. Leidseplein would be € 2,91 so count on a slightly higher cash fare at the driver.

Depending on your planned frequency of using the GVB buses you should decide whether a to buy later GVB card and cash for the 197 will do or buying an OV Chipkaart at Schiphol for all transport which you top up.

Connexxion also serves a staffed desk tucked away in a corner of Arrivals hall 4 at Schiphol airport, again on the same Plaza level (gotta love Schiphol :D) which sells the OV Chipkaart and some other products as their dedicated Connexxion Hotel Shuttle (higher priced and you seem to be familiar with public transport so the 197 is the better choice). http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/service

edit; found also this, has a pic of the vending machines, the 197 bus etc; http://www.neways4us.com/cruise4every1/holland/amsterdam.html

Edited by FreestyleNovice

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the information. Is there a name for the central Amsterdam neighborhood or is it just Amsterdam? Did you see any areas outside the city?

Oh phooey, I see from reading this that there are no more strippenkaarten! A good thing, I know, but I remember those tickets fondly!

It seems that the "anonymous" chipkaarts wouldn't be a good value for a tourist only there for a few days, not with a startup cost of €7.50. I suspect the disposable variety is the thing to do for a tourist, whether one hour or daily.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Oh phooey, I see from reading this that there are no more strippenkaarten! A good thing, I know, but I remember those tickets fondly!

It seems that the "anonymous" chipkaarts wouldn't be a good value for a tourist only there for a few days, not with a startup cost of €7.50. I suspect the disposable variety is the thing to do for a tourist, whether one hour or daily.

We found the passes a good deal

http://en.gvb.nl/service_en_verkoop/reisproducten/Pages/Dagkaarten.aspx

did not have to worry about getting lost just get on another tram swipe the card

Yup, no more strippenkaarten hehe! I loved the foldable 45 strippen one. ;) And true about the €7,50 chipkaart!

• 5 weeks later...
I agree. We did use the metro a few times but I would review your itinerary before buying a pass. I think we used the metro 3 times in three days and one of those was to get to the ship.

Where did you stay, I have a concern of how to get to the ship from my hotel. I read that the ship terminal is pretty far out.

Where did you stay, I have a concern of how to get to the ship from my hotel. I read that the ship terminal is pretty far out.

Which terminal ?

If it is PTA ( the main port of Amsterdam) it is a 10-15 walk from the Central Station area

Lots of hotels in the area

Movenpick is next to the port terminal

As mentioned the cruise terminal in Amsterdam is closeby city center. However some ships sail from IJmuiden. Although often mentioned as port for Amsterdam it is about 15 miles west of Amsterdam and not easy to get to by public transport. Cabs will be expensive too.

It seems that the "anonymous" chipkaarts wouldn't be a good value for a tourist only there for a few days, not with a startup cost of €7.50.

Another problem is how to get back the € 7,50, together with any money left on the card. You have to have a dutch address and bank account to get the money back. Even for dutch residents, this is a hassle.

• 3 weeks later...
Wayfarers,

The central area is sometimes called the Canal Ring

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it also called the City Centre? If not, please explain the difference. I'm beginning research to a Norwegian cruise, departing from Amsterdam but will be spending a few days in Amsterdam prior to the cruise.

I'm also either looking for a nice B&B or a reasonable hotel that serves a nice breakfast.