Just Got Back From Navigator This A.m. !!!

Casachic

Just walked in my door from a week in the W. Caribbean on Navigator. I did not really post before I left but I read the boards a lot and your advice was great.

My husband and I are in our mid 30's and were looking for a relaxing week without our two small children. It was our anniversary so we really just wanted to hang out with each other. This trip was just what the doctor ordered. It was fun and relaxing. Lots of naps, lots of lazy fun. With that in mind, here is my mini review....

Embarkation: The worst part of the whole week. We got to the pier at 12:00 and had to wait outside in the heat for 1 hour before we got into the building. Once inside the building, we had to wait a short time before getting on.

Cabin: We had a room on the 6th floor with balcony midship. It was absolutely the perfect location. I would recommend this floor midship we were close to both elevators, the promenade, etc. It was wonderful. The baclony was the best. Definitely worth the extra money. We hung out in the room way more due to it. Nice to drink our bottle of champagne (easily snuck it on) during sail away. The shower did have doors (not curtains). There was plenty of closet space and drawers for the two overpackers that we are.

Food: Great. We were on the 4th floor dining room and got a table for 2 (it was our anniversary). The 4th floor was so pretty. The food was very good.

Ports of call:

Labadee: We waited until about 11 to get on a tender. There was no wait and we went to the island to hang out and have lunch. The island was lovely

Jamaica: We hooked up with a private tour with Peat Taylor. HE is the best. It was only $30 a person for a huge new bus and only 6 people. He showed us around the island and then dropped us off at the falls. We climbed the falls. It was excellent. Island Village shopping center (right next to the pier) was very nice. We really did not experience any of the high pressure sales that we had heard about.

Grand Cayman: There were 5 or 6 mega ships there (I thought that they were only allowing 2 a day) . They are back in business. Shops were open. Beaches and diving was open. Everything was fine near the port. I would not venture off on your own there though. The island was really destroyed by the hurricane. They were very happy to see people there spending money.

Cozumel: Gorgeous. We just got off and shopped for silver and mexican "junk". It was nice. The ship's shopping guide said to go into town for the best deals but the deals on the pier were just as good.

The Ship itself: This was our first voyager class trip. The ship was absolutely more amazing that I expected. Wonderful, clean, interesting areas, great art. The promenade was awesome.

The crew of the ship were warm and friendly.

The ice show was great.

If you are booked to go anytime soon, you are in for a fabulous week.

If you have any questions, please post them.

Thanks for the comments. I will be boarding two weeks from today going to the eastern Caribbean. In the last few weeks the reports about embarkation have not been good. I know that the recent immigration changes have made things difficult but I have not read any comments about long lines on the Princess or Carnival boards. Hope RCI gets this straightened out soon.

We when finally got to the boarding desk, the clerk said the they had some issues clearing the ship and that is why there was such a big hold up for us to get on. Today, we were through customs and outside by 8:30 and we were the third color called so it may be an isolated issue.

We when finally got to the boarding desk, the clerk said the they had some issues clearing the ship and that is why there was such a big hold up for us to get on. Today, we were through customs and outside by 8:30 and we were the third color called so it may be an isolated issue.

I guess it will vary week by week depending on how many NON U.S citizens are onboard that have to be processed with the new changes of fingerprinting and photographing.

As I say, we were quite lazy this trip. We just walked around and shopped (a lot). People said that stringray city and the diving was still great.

The shopping was excellent yet quite crowded with all of those mega ships in port at once.

Casachic,

Thank you for the update. The wife and I will be doing W. Caribbean on Navigator next week. We will be also celebrating or anniverary- our 33rd.

Question on the embarkation.

With the new immigration rules in place, how will we be processed? She is Canadian and I am American. Will we be in separate lines (for the photo/fingerprints you referenced) or can we go through together?

I am glad to hear of your great cruise. This will be our first with RCCL and our first time in the Caribbean.

Again, thanks. Ron

Thanks for your review. We leave one week from today going on the same itinerary. I was wondering if we would make it to Grand Cayman.....looks like we will. Then the day after week get off the Navigator we are getting on Radiance to head to the Eastern Caribbean. I can't wait!

Shawn

Shawn...you are in for a treat. I though that the grand princess was fabulous but this ship was even better. The public rooms are each decorated uniquely, the promenade was fantastic, the windjammer is much improved over the Majesty and the nordic empress..etc etc. It could have just gone out to sea for a week and we would not have cared. Have fun

We were on the ship last week also. Ate at Portofinos we thought it was well worth it. We celebrated our Anniversary also 23rd. It was a special treat fantastic but the food in the dining room was wonderful also.

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY. I WANT TO GO BACK.

PAT

My hubby, 4 month old son and I will be doing the NOS on 12/11 also. Your one of the first people i've seen post that will be on that sailing. I thought we were gonna have the whole ship to ourselves for a while there...lol :D . This is my 2nd RCI sailing...did the Monarch back in the late '90's, and i'm really looking forward to seeing this ship. I've heard the Voyager class ships are awesome! I'm sure a good time will be had by all.And btw...Happy Anniversary (if I don't see you on board...lol;)) Have fun!!!

Barb

The ship was awesome. We had great weather. We were on the Promenade

7th Floor. $5.00 cab ride in Cozumel to Paradise Beach where we had lawn chairs for the entire day and paid $5.00 to use the beach mats, kayaks, and

the kids could climb on an inflated glacier in the water. Great day for $10.00

Don't miss Stingray City. Book with Sotos Tours on their web page.

$24.50 for two snorkelling tours and Stingray City. This was the highlight of

my trip.:) :o :)

Thanks for the comments. I will be boarding two weeks from today going to the eastern Caribbean. In the last few weeks the reports about embarkation have not been good. I know that the recent immigration changes have made things difficult but I have not read any comments about long lines on the Princess or Carnival boards. Hope RCI gets this straightened out soon.

cruisinggator,

It isn't the ship it is homeland security that holds the process up.

Tj

cruisinggator,

It isn't the ship it is homeland security that holds the process up.

Tj

Well so far I have been reading all of the other boards and no one is complaining about the long embarkation procedures. So either no other cruise lines have to deal with this or it is working much better.

This is a very stressful way to get on the ship without waiting. Our plane was delayed for five hours and we waited a hour for our luggage in Miami. We were very late and literally ran onto the ship. They were already doing the life boat drill. I would not advise you to do this but there were no lines.

I would have been happy to arrive in Miami at 11:45 am as scheduled and had to wait in line I would have been much more relaxed.

Just remember you are on vacation and try to destress.

Have great cruises.

Pat

Archived