Revamped Carnival Sunshine facing problems in maiden voyage

doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary for a ship coming out of drydock with a major refurb.

Bill

I was thinking the same thing. This is an issue that happens all the time on all cruise lines.

Sounds like the media is looking for anything to keep bringing Carnival back into the limelight... Notice how they had to add on that the Sunshine is a sister ship to the Triumph!

You, know lots of things happen when something is new. Remember that amusement park with all the dinosaurs that ate all those people when it first opened up? That was much worse than Waterworks not being opened yet. :D

Not planning on using waterworks.The June 7 Itinerary doesn't leave much time for ship activities.Very port intensive.As long as we have food and hopefully a comfortable bed to sleep in I will be a happy camper.

Well, I fly to Barcelona in a week for the May 17th cruise. I do expect minor bugs with the situation, but I also expect things like Waterworks to be functional. I am a pretty laid back guy and am certainly not looking for anything to moan about. I just want a smooth cruise. We shall see how this goes....

which is why we never book the first cruise after dry dock on any ship...

Keep in mind the current CARNIVAL SUNSHINE cruisers didn't expect to be the first cruise after a dry-dock. Carnival canceled the April 12 and April 26 sailings, and the poor folks on the May 3 sailing ended up being the guinea pigs with no choice in the matter.

I'm a little surprised the ship is not fully completed, especially the Water Works. According to Carnival, the dry-dock was extended to install new redundant safety measures (generator & electrical switchboard) and not because more time was needed for things like the Water Works and cabins. They had an extra three weeks to complete everything so what happened? I can only imagine what a disaster the first cruise would have been if they stuck with the original dry-dock schedule of an April 12 debut.

It is serious if you are on the cruise and affected by these problems and if you wanted to use the much publicised enhancements, such as the waterworks and the sports deck, then they should be ready.

Whilst it is the first cruise after a dry dock strictly speaking it is the third cruise as Carnival realised that it wasn't going to be completed on time and canceled the first two cruises.

The ship should be ready for the fare paying passengers to enjoy the full range of facilities.

I have to admit, I tend to let alot of stuff that people bitch about in here slide.

But if the Lido pool was shut down for the entire cruise, or the waterslides, I would not begrudge people for wanting a refund.

It is one thing if they have some minor areas boarded up for final finishing touches or if there are easily fixed electrical glitches in the cabins, etc...(toilet doesn't function for most of cruise, again a reasonable refund request)

But when major draws, for most peoples cruiseship experience are not available, then people do deserve some reasonable refund, due to Carnival not being able to finish their work in the timetable CARNIVAL unrealistically set.

Bill

I would also expect the "major" items - like Waterworks and cabins - would have been finished by the first sailing. However, I would also expect a few hitches - cosmetic finishes not quite done, minor electrical or plumbing problems in isolated cases- to be present. Those I could overlook. Heck - I have had minor electrical/plumbing problems on a few ships - brand new or old - I have cruised on. However, depending on how long a pool or new waterworks area was closed, I would definitely feel a bit "ripped off." I don't care how port intensive an itinerary is. If I wanted to take a dip or go down a slide, I would expect it would be finished and open. Just sayin'....

I would also expect the "major" items - like Waterworks and cabins - would have been finished by the first sailing. However, I would also expect a few hitches - cosmetic finishes not quite done, minor electrical or plumbing problems in isolated cases- to be present. Those I could overlook. Heck - I have had minor electrical/plumbing problems on a few ships - brand new or old - I have cruised on. However, depending on how long a pool or new waterworks area was closed, I would definitely feel a bit "ripped off." I don't care how port intensive an itinerary is. If I wanted to take a dip or go down a slide, I would expect it would be finished and open. Just sayin'....

I agree. Hopefully Carnival will get things fixed soon and maybe even give some OBC.

Keep in mind the current CARNIVAL SUNSHINE cruisers didn't expect to be the first cruise after a dry-dock. Carnival canceled the April 12 and April 26 sailings, and the poor folks on the May 3 sailing ended up being the guinea pigs with no choice in the matter.

I'm a little surprised the ship is not fully completed, especially the Water Works. According to Carnival, the dry-dock was extended to install new redundant safety measures (generator & electrical switchboard) and not because more time was needed for things like the Water Works and cabins. They had an extra three weeks to complete everything so what happened? I can only imagine what a disaster the first cruise would have been if they stuck with the original dry-dock schedule of an April 12 debut.

Thats a good point! By default of the cancelled sailings, they became the first cruise out of DD.

Here we go again. The ship was almost completely gutted and put back together again. These things will happen.

Once again, the media at its best....trying to sell airtime and print.

I loved the connection to the Triumph and the Sunshine's issue were nothing like the Triumph.....just sayin'.

I agree...it should have been complete....if I paid for it I want it

Of course others will say that it is ok...as long as they get Pizza

Am I the only one that was expecting some glitches and incomplete work?? Not because its Carnival, but because it was a major dry dock. These issues are not uncommon for new ships or for ships just out of dry dock, regardless of the cruise line.

Personally, I would've been surprised if there had NOT been glitches. Nothing to report here, really.

And I'll take a European cruise without Waterworks than NO cruise at all, like all the people that got cancelled.

Last time I sailed on the Imagination, the Waterworks was closed due to repairs during the WHOLE cruise. I didn't see anybody rushing to get a refund because of it.

There is bound to be issues after a dry-dock, but for the only pool (for families) and the entire water park to be closed is more than a dry-dock "hiccup". It wouldn't ruin my entire cruise, but it would be a noticeable issue.

But when major draws, for most peoples cruiseship experience are not available, then people do deserve some reasonable refund....

Bill

So here it comes. I didn't get what I expected, so refund !!!!!

I really wonder if some people on CC have experienced life. Just in my immediate family: a severely multi-handicapped child, advanced stage pancreatic cancer with a couple of months remaining to live --- and I consider myself and my family very fortunate.

Archived