tipping

Hi, going on a Caribbean cruise in dec and was wondering

what currency I could use for tipping.

Thanks

Hi - and welcome to the forum. :)

Tipping is totally at your discretion as tips are included in the cost of your cruise but we, like many others find the crew fantastic and we feel deserving of some personal recognition. We always tip in the predominant currency of the area in which we are cruising so for the Caribbean would always go for US$ working on the principle that they will need it for any off board spending. I guess if they are banking their tips any currency would do.

Hi, going on a Caribbean cruise in dec and was wondering

what currency I could use for tipping.

Thanks

Hi - and welcome to the forum. :)

Tipping is totally at your discretion as tips are included in the cost of your cruise but we, like many others find the crew fantastic and we feel deserving of some personal recognition. We always tip in the predominant currency of the area in which we are cruising so for the Caribbean would always go for US$ working on the principle that they will need it for any off board spending. I guess if they are banking their tips any currency would do.

The ships also have a pretty good system in place for exchange for staff.

I wonder what people do on a world cruise. It would be pretty hard to tip in the local currency.

Hi thanks I always tip the cabin cleaner and a couple of waiters but wasn't sure if they would they prefer sterling or dollars, have you been to the Caribbean at that time of year would like to know what the average temp are.

Thanks

Hi thanks I always tip the cabin cleaner and a couple of waiters but wasn't sure if they would they prefer sterling or dollars, have you been to the Caribbean at that time of year would like to know what the average temp are.

Thanks

Have been in the Caribbean in Nov, Dec, Jan , Feb and March (on different cruises I hasten to add - would be lovely to be there all winter! :D ) and have always found the weather great - warm - never any need for anything other than t's and shorts.

The weather has been a bit more variable over recent years from what I read and from talking to locals. In Grenada for example a taxi driver told us during a short but heavy spell of rain that they never used to have rain from Nov - April but the last couple of years they have had rain almost every day! Having said that in the isalnds generally speaking they are sharp but very short lived and you very soon dry out again. Our friends were in the Caribbean in Jan this year and found it very windy in some ports and not as warm and balmy at nights out on deck which is something we'd told them to expect having never experienced it to be anything but fab and warm late at night on deck.

I've just pulled up St Lucia from this site - you can check out other places but as you will see temps really good and what's more we find it comfortable - not hot and humid as is sometimes the case when temps are in the high 20's or over 30 degrees. We were sometimes more uncomfortable here this last summer than with similar temps in the Caribbean!

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/city.php3?c=LC&name=Saint-Lucia

One tip though - warm as it is in the Caribbean the aircon on board is often a bit chilly so I find I sometimes need a wrap in the main dining room or theatre at night.

The ships also have a pretty good system in place for exchange for staff.

I wonder what people do on a world cruise. It would be pretty hard to tip in the local currency.

Not exactly a problem on Thomson cruises :D :D But I take your point. Perhaps the obvious answer would then be - 'ship's currency' whatever that may be - or anything at all since as you point out they can get it changed. Possibly some people just empty their pockets of a mix of anything they've got left :rolleyes:!!!