Seeing the French side

DevonianCruiser

I've been to St Martin 4 or 5 times and I've for some reason I've never been across to the French side, which is strange as on most islands I tend to explore.

What's the best way to get there off the cruise ship? We would like to wander around the capital, but is there anything else worth exploring? Not looking for a beach as we'll have loads of beach time.

It might be a little slower then a cab, but it's much cheaper and it's also nice to ride with locals and see how they travel around. I did the same in Antigua.

It's from downtown Philipsburg at "Backstreet"; there is not really a busstopp but you just go to this street and wait till a bus (which are mini vans) shows up and then you wave. I got mine within a minute. The Vans have licence plate with "bus" on it and a cartboard sign with "Marigot". The ride costs 2 Dollars each way per person and they tell you when your there, as Marigot is their terminal stopp. In Marigot it's way easier to get back as at their mainstreet they have a proper Busstop, where about every 10 minutes a van shows up!

I was just once in St.Maarten and the only three places I''ve been to so far was Marigot, Maho-Beach and Philippsburg, so I cannot tell you if there is more to see and do.

Edited by onyx007

It might be a little slower then a cab, but it's much cheaper and it's also nice to ride with locals and see how they travel around. I did the same in Antigua.

It's from downtown Philipsburg at "Backstreet"; there is not really a busstopp but you just go to this street and wait till a bus (which are mini vans) shows up and then you wave. I got mine within a minute. The Vans have licence plate with "bus" on it and a cartboard sign with "Marigot". The ride costs 2 Dollars each way per person and they tell you when your there, as Marigot is their terminal stopp. In Marigot it's way easier to get back as at their mainstreet they have a proper Busstop, where about every 10 minutes a van shows up!

I was just once in St.Maarten and the only three places I''ve been to so far was Marigot, Maho-Beach and Philippsburg, so I cannot tell you if there is more to see and do.

Thanks. How far away is it/how long does it take to get there?

Thanks. How far away is it/how long does it take to get there?

I think it at least 10 km. About 30 minutes each way; but you might count another 30 minutes especially on your way back for traffic jams, just to be on the save side.

I've been to St Martin 4 or 5 times and I've for some reason I've never been across to the French side, which is strange as on most islands I tend to explore.

What's the best way to get there off the cruise ship? We would like to wander around the capital, but is there anything else worth exploring? Not looking for a beach as we'll have loads of beach time.

For me, the absolute BEST thing in Marigot is the view from Fort Louis.

th_DSCN4262.jpg

(click)

If you take a bus, it will be quite a climb up there, but if you're in a taxi, just have them drop you up the hill at the bottom of the final steps.

th_DSCN4256.jpg

It should be an easy walk back down into the heart of Marigot to enjoy the rest of whatever you're looking for.

gary

th_DSCN4262.jpg

(click)

If you take a bus, it will be quite a climb up there, but if you're in a taxi, just have them drop you up the hill at the bottom of the final steps.

th_DSCN4256.jpg

It should be an easy walk back down into the heart of Marigot to enjoy the rest of whatever you're looking for.

gary

Thanks Gary, that's a great picture :cool:

The island is very easy to drive around, so we always rent a car once we get off the ship (I think we rent through Coastal). This way you can explore the island at your own leisure. There are some great places to see that the buses cannot get you to. Stop in Gran Case for fresh seafood (a number of little mom and pop places along the waterfront). When returning the car, do not drive through downtown Philipsburg, otherwise you may get stuck in a traffic jam.

Last time we were in St. Maarten we had planned to see Marigot and Maho. I had priced separate standard taxis to/from Philipsburg/Marigot/Maho/Philipsburg wanting to spend as much or as little time at each. The price pp for 3 taxi rides was $27. When we went to the taxi stand at the pier, the first driver told us that she would take us to these same stops, stay with us throughout the day and for the same price. We thought $28 pp was great and we knew that whenever we were done in Marigot or at Mago she would be waiting to move on to the next stop with us.

QUOTE=gtaylor;44781779]For me, the absolute BEST thing in Marigot is the view from Fort Louis.

th_DSCN4262.jpg

(click)

th_DSCN4256.jpg

gary

Has anyone tried to get a driver for 4 hours ? I was wondering what they would charge.

Edited by ONCRUISEMODE

Has anyone tried to get a driver for 4 hours ? I was wondering what they would charge.

I am curious about this too. We plan to spend the morning in Marigot and then watch the planes land at Maho in the afternoon. A driver would be convenient but we are not opposed to taking the bus. We like local travel.

gary

Great idea! We are taking a cab over and this will be a lovely added treat. Thanks for the pictures and the post.

Last time I was there, four cruise ships were in port. We rented a cab to go over to the French side where we had lunch. The trip back was a horrible traffic jam from end to end. The better part of two hours to get to the ship. Allow lots of time to get back if there are several ships in port.

Last time I was there, four cruise ships were in port. We rented a cab to go over to the French side where we had lunch. The trip back was a horrible traffic jam from end to end. The better part of two hours to get to the ship. Allow lots of time to get back if there are several ships in port.

Thank you for that info. We have a huge port load the day we are there and have been talking about how to manage our time since we are the last ship to dock.

The Causeway brige opened about a year ago and has help alleviate some of the traffic congestion on the island.

The Causeway brige opened about a year ago and has help alleviate some of the traffic congestion on the island.

That's good to know. It's been nearly 3 years since we were there and last time we did the whole Sailboat race experience. So we wanted to do see the French side of the island this time.

Thank you for that info. We have a huge port load the day we are there and have been talking about how to manage our time since we are the last ship to dock.

How do you find info on which ships or how many will be in port on any given day?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

If you like to save money, public bus are easy and a very nice way to explore Marigot and Maho-Beach in one day.

We went by foot to Downtown Philipsburg and on Back Street the first bus pulled up and asked us where we wanted to go (the bus was marked Mullet), we were three people and told him Marigot and as he was empty he changed the card board and of we went.

The same thing happend in Marigot, but there was another couple so we were 5. Normally there is no bus direct from Marigot to Maho, but at the bus stop there were two buses filling up, both marked for Philipsburg. In the second there were only one couple (tourists as well) and as the driver saw that we five wanted to go to Maho, he told the other couple to change to the other bus and took us 5 to Mahobeach.

So the total-transportation-cost for us three for this day was 18 US !

Philipsburg- Marigot-Maho-Beach-Philipsburg !!!

There is a 4.5 hour tour (Viator) which will leave from the port at 10:00 am and go to the French side, two beaches, Marigot, Grand Case and Maho for $43.99 the day we are in port. They guarantee return to ship on time to sail.

If we would not be sailing that day I would be up to the taking of the regular buses but would be worried about the traffic and would not enjoy the day. Thinking seriously of this tour instead. Anyone ever take it?