Recommendations for Mayan Ruins and other excursions for different age groups

bell2

Hi, we are on a Princess Western Caribbean trip in January to Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel, and have multiple age groups in our family and trying to figure out which trips best for each--they don't all have to be on the same trip.

1) My Dad, a retired anthropologist 90 y/o with a cane. Which is the most interesting ruin that he could manage? Want to avoid steps or too much walking. Tulum on Cozumel, or Alta Hun on Belize, or do you recommend others?

2) 2 college students. Best ruins for them to see? Other trips you rec? We were thinking cave tubing on Belize.

3) 90 y/o mother uses walker. Any excursions she could manage? She'd like to do something more than just watch a cooking/folkloric show. Likes animals, sightseeing. Can she manage the tender on Belize or just stay on ship? In Cozumel there is an El Cedral, cruise and museum ship tour rated "easy" but under it's specifics says not recommended for those with walking difficulties and lists 30 steps!

In Costa Maya there is a Mayan cultural experience one that I wonder if she could manage--has anyone done that?

Thanks very much if any of you can answer any/all of these.

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

My vote for which ruins to see are actually in Costa Maya. Our family of 5 did a tour with Native Choice which included a very small group tour (i.e. 2 families) of the ruins so we were able to hear everything and ask a lot of questions (the cruise tours seem to put about 30-40 people into each "group"). I recall that the walking wasn't too strenuous and there wasn't much we were able to climb. The ruins were interesting as was the narration of the Mayan culture. Our teens all found it interesting. After the ruins, we were then taken to Bacalar Lagoon for a few hours. We swam and went kayaking in the most breathtaking lagoon (they call it the lagoon of 7 blues). There was a resort in that area as well but I don't recall what amenities were provided. I would suggest contacting Native Choice as I believe they'd be able to accommodate everyone in your group in terms of interest and physical limitations.

I haven't been on the tours to see the ruins in either Tulum or Belize because the transportation to/from is VERY lengthy. I'd rather minimize the transportation and spend more time "doing".

Belize is a great spot for snorkeling but not sure what else I'd recommend. The tender process is long (maybe 30 mins)? Belize is a beautiful country, but Belize City really is a pit so I can't recommend anything local that may work for your parents. The Belize Zoo is definitely interesting, but I remember there being a good deal of walking (can't remember if it's accessible).

In Cozumel, we usually do some combination of an ATV or Dune Buggy tour in the morning, followed by an afternoon at one of the beach clubs. My 78 year old mother was with us on one of our trips and didn't join us for the Dune Buggy portion, but was able to easily get a taxi and meet us at the Beach Club (Paradise Beach).

I will tell you that the walk down the Cozumel pier and through the shops is absolutely lengthy. You may want to consider arranging a wheelchair for your dad just to the end of the pier. We made this arrangement for my mom ahead of time and they were able to bring her right up to the taxi area. I'd say it's about a 10 min walk at a moderate pace.

Enjoy your multi-generational trip! The excursions can present some challenges, but there's a lot of good advice on these boards so hopefully you'll find something that works for all!

If the two college students want to see ruins, Tulum is very good but for the others I'd say "no way". As mentioned the travel is LONG with many parts ... ferry and bus ... with plenty of walking .... and all in all a LONG day. But very good site once you get there

tulum2.jpg

tulum4.jpg

some Tulum excursions include time to walk down to the beach ... Tulum is on the water's edge

tulum9beach.jpg

The Mayan ruins are fantastic but not for everyone. We have been to a few of them (see my links below) and they all involve a long, tiring day. With travel time to and from the sites, lots of walking over different types of terrain, often hot, humid conditions, I would not recommend them for the elderly members of your party.

If you have time, take a look at the slide shows my wife made for her website with pictures she has taken on our cruises over the years. The links below are labeled. It might help you decide which one to see.

So far we have seen Tulum, Chitchen Itza, Uxmal, Kohunlich, and Lamanai.

Happy cruising!

The Mayan ruins are fantastic but not for everyone. We have been to a few of them (see my links below) and they all involve a long, tiring day. With travel time to and from the sites, lots of walking over different types of terrain, often hot, humid conditions, I would not recommend them for the elderly members of your party.

If you have time, take a look at the slide shows my wife made for her website with pictures she has taken on our cruises over the years. The links below are labeled. It might help you decide which one to see.

So far we have seen Tulum, Chitchen Itza, Uxmal, Kohunlich, and Lamanai.

Happy cruising!

Thank you for the wonderful slide presentation. Definitely worth seeing.