Stop in Colon on partial transit

Koshlong

We're doing a partial transit on Zuiderdam and will be staying on the ship for the return trip from Gatun Lake. I have a two part question....

Will we have time to get off in Colon.when we're picking up returning passengers?

And, if so

Does anyone know if there are stands where I can buy molas? I got some a few years ago in the San Blas Islands and foolishly gave most of them away.

Normally there is time to leave the ship and go to the mall next to the pier for some quick shopping. While I can't point you towards any shop that may sell molas, I would be very surprised if you couldn't find someone selling them.

Thanks! I bought the first ones right on the island and had hundreds to choose from. Actually, I think the ship brought some of the vendors aboard? At least I know that I'll have places to look.

Thanks! I bought the first ones right on the island and had hundreds to choose from. Actually, I think the ship brought some of the vendors aboard? At least I know that I'll have places to look.

I never heard of 'molas' until I read this thread. I looked it up on google but I'm still not sure about it. They look pretty but I'm wondering what they are used for.

Please explain.

We will be there in a few days.

Thanks

Hi, Jim!

Molas are traditionally used as ornamentation on a woman's blouse. They make up the front and back, while the yoke and sleeves are made of another fabric"....surprisingly, often a floral polyester.

It's a kind of reverse appliqué where a number of different solid colours are stacked together. Sections are cut out to show the colour below and the edges are turned under and sewn. It looks like a tremendous amount of work for a price (a few years ago) of $10 to $20.

I actually want to use them to make cushion covers.

Hope you have a great time!

Hi, Jim!

Molas are traditionally used as ornamentation on a woman's blouse. They make up the front and back, while the yoke and sleeves are made of another fabric"....surprisingly, often a floral polyester.

It's a kind of reverse appliqué where a number of different solid colours are stacked together. Sections are cut out to show the colour below and the edges are turned under and sewn. It looks like a tremendous amount of work for a price (a few years ago) of $10 to $20.

I actually want to use them to make cushion covers.

Hope you have a great time!

Thanks for explaining. I think my wife would like this type of souvenir. Happy cruising!