New to Seabourn and semi-new to cruising

OctoberKat

Barring yearly voyages (1950-1969) on the now defunct Panama Line out of NYC and later out of New Orleans to Cristobal, Panama, I am a new cruiser with but a single Regent Caribbean cruise (January) in my tally, plus a week-long barge cruise in the Loire Valley last summer which I think ought to count.

I've just booked two Seabourn cruises: Odyssey LA-Panama Canal-FLL March 2016, and Quest Copenhagen-Norway-Copenhagen June 2016. Can't wait for the 2016 New Year to come around.

Icing on the cake, I was born in Panama City and raised in Balboa, then Canal Zone, my home town.

So, I'm very chuffed and welcome any tips. We're in 801 on the Panama Canal cruise and in 700 on the Norwegian Fjords voyage. Any tips, suggestions, comments welcome.

1. As you will be in potentially rougher waters on your upcoming cruises than you were on your last cruises, plan ahead with your doctor to make sure you have brought along suitable seasickness meds, in case you need them and the ship's medical station is either inconvenient, overloaded,expensive, closed, or out of what you need.

2. Based on another "laundry" thread, unless you are o.k. with the reasonable $50 per stuffed laundry bag option, given that it is difficult to access the limited launderettes, you may wish to bring along lots of Travelwash or similar concentrated sink self-wash solutions

3. Based on the other "smoking" thread, which discusses SB's more liberal smoking policy compared withother cruise lines, if you have a balcony suite, ask yourself if you would be o.k. if your neighbor smokes on his balcony and you get some whiffs, or in the Observation Lounge after 8. Would that ruin your cruise, say if you have asthma or bad smoke allergies, or would you consider it a minor unaesthetic inconvenience, or not care at all ( or perhaps even like it!)?

We are booked on the Quest late July 2016-August Copenhagen-Dover, which will cover the Norwegian fjiords in detail. Last time I was at the fjiords long ago it was early June, cloudy, cold, and hailing. For one week I did not see anything resembling a scenic site. Had to buy a thick sweater to wear under my coat. Then, the last day, it cleared and was amazing. So bring layers!

Thank you, Catlover. Jim has had excellent results with the patch and I am a good sailor.mif I get into difficulties, I, too, will patch it up.

I did take into account the smoking issue; we're in a forward owner's suite aboard Odyssey for Panama Canal, and in a forward signature suite for Norwegian fjords. And, yikes, I hope we have good weather.

Anyone tried the non dominant ear plug trick mentioned in another thread?

To save you searching :-

I used to suffer with motion sickness but John Fonseca, one of the Antarctic Expedition Team on Quests first cruise last December gave me a great tip, you block the NON dominant hand ear ( ie right handed, left ear) so simple, and it works (all to do with balance).

We had up to Force 10 going across the Drake Passage and past Cape Horn and I actually enjoyed it.

Worth a try, beats medications !

Thank you, SKP946. Block as with an earplug to dampen noise?

Correct, I was telling other pax about this, quite a number were walking around with a brightly colored airline earplug sticking out of ONE ear.

I wish that I had known about this years ago, as I had suffered with motion sickness for as far back as I can remember (not as in vomiting, but giddiness and loss of balance sometimes for days after.)

Correct, I was telling other pax about this, quite a number were walking around with a brightly colored airline earplug sticking out of ONE ear.

I wish that I had known about this years ago, as I had suffered with motion sickness for as far back as I can remember (not as in vomiting, but giddiness and loss of balance sometimes for days after.)

Thank you for this very valuable tip!

Hello OctoberKat, I followed your posts on the Regent board both pre- and post-cruise on the Navigator. They were very interesting for me as I haven't yet tried Regent, so thank you for posting.

I've just read one of your posts on the smoking thread where you mentioned the Seabourn marina. Rather than take the smoking thread off-topic I thought I'd just mention here that Seabourn only uses the marina in certain itineraries. You may already know this, but when I was new to Seabourn my first cruise was Caribbean and I just assumed the marina would be used during that 18 day cruise. It wasn't, and had never been planned on that itinerary. Several SB cruises later and I still haven't seen the marina.

Just a heads up to check if your itinerary has a marina day. I can say with absolute certainty (wait for someone to correct me!) that it won't be used on the Fjords cruise. I'm not sure about the Panama transit.

Although there are Marina days planned for some cruises you must be aware that weather always permits the use of the Marina and there is always the possibility that it will be cancelled due to the sea being slightly rough.

I have done the Marina on both sizes of Seabourn ship and the smaller ships were better as there were less guests queueing to get on the rides.

We didn't have a marina day when we did the Panama cruise in reverse, Fort Lauderdale to LA.

Henry :)

Hi Henry,off topic,have you seen the April 18th Sojourn Athens to Monaco wine and food cruise.

It is now so cheap that it might be cheaper to take the cruise than stay at home.

I can get it for £1533

Thank you Able and Luxury, good to learn of Marina day uncertainties, I'll keep that in mind. And, yes,Nigella, I, too, doubt the Norwegian fjords voyage will feature one such! Cheers.

Edited by OctoberKat

How does one know the planned marina days when selecting itineraries? Is it noted on the itineraries?

Michael

Yes, but subject to weather (we have had 2 Marina Days in 150 days cruising with Seabourn !)

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up to check if your itinerary has a marina day. I can say with absolute certainty (wait for someone to correct me!) that it won't be used on the Fjords cruise. I'm not sure about the Panama transit.

Quoting myself to post a link. Never say never!

If this is successful this Fjord season, perhaps the marina will be used on your cruise next year :

http://www.seabourn.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=Ventures&WT.ac=pnav_Ventures

• 2 weeks later...
What do you mean by 'sticky at the top' to get a $400. Credit?

Ann

At the top where the threads start you will see "Sticky" the second one listed is where you can post a request for someone to sponsor you if you are a first time Seabourn cruiser. This is usually best done at the time of final payment. The previous Seabourn cruiser can then fill out a coupon they have with your cruise details.......or some will send it to you to send. This referral coupon is submitted to Seabourn and you both will receive US$400 on board credit.

I think the cut off for referral is usually 10 days prior to sailing but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.:)

Julie