Fjords & North Cape Feedback

BristolGolfer

We are looking at a 14 Day Fjords & North Cape cruise at the end of June & early July from & to Copenhagen.

Any feedback to the approximate temperatures & likely weather conditions appreciated from any who have actually been there.

Also as we are "sun lounger types" who enjoy the pool deck life do you think we'll be a bit bored?

Regards

BristolGolfer - UK

Past performance is no guarantee for future results..., but we had rather atrocious weather, low hanging clouds, rain and cold days in July 2008 on a similar SS cruise. Obviously the weather will be colder the further north you get, but blankets around the pool did come handy on some of the sunny days. Do bring MITTENS (some stupid folks like us who thought it is summer had to use socks to cover the hands...:eek:) and warm hats.

BUT, the scenery is gorgeous, the days are hardly ending and the sun can shine!

... Oops. .... Jackets etc and whilst there were some cool days the weather was great, with no rain, mostly clear skies and very comfortable shoes for excursions etc. we didn't go right to the Arctic Circle where it will be cooler, but up as far as Alasund we enjoyed great weather.

The weather, as others posted, is quite erratic. We were on a July cruise and I was in the jacuzzi and the pool even when we crossed the Arctic Circle. At the North Cape it got cold, grey and windy but that was beautiful in is on rite. Bring layers and be prepared for anything.

The scenery is so beautiful I felt guilty reading a book and not constantly gazing at it.

I did a land tour combined with a local mini-cruise from Oslo to Bergen to various fjiords a long time ago in early June and the weather was very cold, cloudy, could not see much except on the last day. Had to buy extra clothing at the tourist stores to get warm. However, you are going two weeks later, plus you may get lucky on weather. Come prepared for chill.

That tour was immediately followed by a scenic flight to the North Cape and Arctic Circle to see the midnight sun, and the weather was clear but the landscape once there was desolate. There were a bunch of reindeer, yes, but there was not much vegetation, and at least the inland scenery was unexciting.

So, as I did not find North Cape interesting enough to want to go back to, but still want to see scenic fjiords with good weather, and with Mr. Catlover, next year 2016 we have signed up for SB Copenhagen-Dover for 12 days late July that will focus on just the southern and mid fjiords in detail, and skip the North Cape ( and hope weather is cooperative!). Will still bring down coat, gloves.

almost any weather change when you go.But DO GO, absolutely breathtaking scenery.You hate to go to sleep and miss any of it,but its stays light till late.

We never used pool since generally cool,but if that s what you want,,this is NOT the cruise for you.NOT that type of cruise,sorry.

Well I have just booked this cruise for 2016 so fingers crossed for great weather! From all that I have read, it sounds like the scenery will be spectacular so if the weather can co-operate, it should be a fabulous experience. I also love to laze by the pool but recognize on this trip I will probably be lazing on my balcony (perhaps with a rug on my lap!).

We did this cruise last July and enjoyed almost perfect weather every day with clear blue skies, calm seas and magnificent scenary. It was definitely sun lounger/pool deck weather! Even the North Cape was sunny and warm although it did get a bit foggy for a couple of hours during the evening. We were very lucky but I know others who've had atrocious weather. All you can do is prepare for the worst (layers are your friend) and hope for the best (take your swimsuits!).

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking at a 14 Day Fjords & North Cape cruise at the end of June & early July from & to Copenhagen.

Any feedback to the approximate temperatures & likely weather conditions appreciated from any who have actually been there.

Also as we are "sun lounger types" who enjoy the pool deck life do you think we'll be a bit bored?

Regards

BristolGolfer - UK

In short, Yes!

It's a lovely trip but not generally a sun lounger voyage unless you have a blanket. You will have warm'ish days, cold days and rainy days but not many pool days unless you think 13c is hot.

About the warmest we got was basking on the balcony at midnight on June 23rd. We were actually wearing sunglasses!