African Safaries

ckl001

I am hoping someone can help with some african safaries. I really really hope to see the big 5. I love Lions!:D

I am travelling next year April/May and disembarking in Cape Town on May 5th and will be staying in Cape Town for a few days after. I will be in:

Durban May 2nd 07:00 to 17:00

East London May 3rd 12:00 to 19:00

Cape Town May 5 08:00 and leaving Capetown May 8

Any suggestions on safaries for these locations that fit in the times would be very helpful.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with suggestions.

thanks

Chez

Are you thinking of a daytime visit on one day, or do you really mean a safari?

If it's the former, you're probably best going to a zoo that has the animals.

If you want to go on safari to try to see the animals in their natural habitat, you really need to stay overnight on two or three nights to improve your chances. That would mean devoting all or most of your post-cruise time to this, and to fly from Cape Town to a good safari area. But the feasibility of doing this depends on your flight schedules and other priorities.

There are of course some alternatives close to Cape Town, but frankly they might be a bit of a disappointment if you really have your heart set on doing a safari.

Are you thinking of a daytime visit on one day, or do you really mean a safari?

If it's the former, you're probably best going to a zoo that has the animals.

If you want to go on safari to try to see the animals in their natural habitat, you really need to stay overnight on two or three nights to improve your chances. That would mean devoting all or most of your post-cruise time to this, and to fly from Cape Town to a good safari area. But the feasibility of doing this depends on your flight schedules and other priorities.

There are of course some alternatives close to Cape Town, but frankly they might be a bit of a disappointment if you really have your heart set on doing a safari.

thanks for the information. I did not have any idea, but was orginally looking at a day trip. I will have to rethink and maybe look at something else. I did think that even a day trip was called a safari.

I do not want to go to a zoo as I could do that at home!

Chez

Chez,

We will be on the Ocean Princess with you. We also took a similar cruise two years ago on the same ship. On that one, which went the other way, we had a group get off in Durban for an independent safari. They planned to rejoin us about 6 days later in the Seychelles. Unfortunately, due to the danger of a pirate attack, we skipped this port and they did not reboard until we reached Muscat, Oman - five days later than they had planned.

Hi Chez

We were in your part of the world last September - had a great time! My daughter especially loved the Cleland Wildlife Park.

Hope you have a great time in South Africa. Globaliser is right - you need to spend a few days on a safari to really get a better chance of seeing as many animals as possible.

I think some cruiselines do offer day safari trips (as a shore excursion option) but you may be very limited in what you can see. The north eastern area of South Africa (ie Kruger National Park/Sabie) is prime viewing for most animals and certainly lions, but you won't have the time to go there.

Cape Town is a wonderful city in its own right but you won't be able to do a safari there. So you would either need to extend your holiday or decide to spend the 3 days you have on safari at a place fairly close to Cape Town like Shamwari (abut a 6 hour drive away from Cape Town or 1 hour flight). (See www.shamwari.com)

If you do extend your holiday, you could do 3 days in Cape Town and then 3 days on safari - probably the best combination!

Hope this helps :)

I did think that even a day trip was called a safari.
I think some cruiselines do offer day safari trips (as a shore excursion option) but you may be very limited in what you can see.
I'm sure that for marketing purposes, they may be called safaris.

But one problem is that the best time for trying to view the animals is typically at dusk and early in the night, and at first light and the early part of the morning. The animals tend to sleep (invisibly) during the day. So if you stay at a game lodge, you're likely to be taken on game drives in the very early morning, and again in the very late afternoon.

The north eastern area of South Africa (ie Kruger National Park/Sabie) is prime viewing for most animals and certainly lions, but you won't have the time to go there.
It might be possible with some preparation and planning, if it can be made to fit the OP's schedule: it looks like there's a daily non-stop flight between Cape Town and Nelspruit/Mpumalanga.

I'm sure that for marketing purposes, they may be called safaris.

But one problem is that the best time for trying to view the animals is typically at dusk and early in the night, and at first light and the early part of the morning. The animals tend to sleep (invisibly) during the day. So if you stay at a game lodge, you're likely to be taken on game drives in the very early morning, and again in the very late afternoon.It might be possible with some preparation and planning, if it can be made to fit the OP's schedule: it looks like there's a daily non-stop flight between Cape Town and Nelspruit/Mpumalanga.

A safari can mean different things to different people. We have met many people on safaris who have come for the day (as you stated you can fly in to Nelspruit and if you are willing to pay, there are some game lodges where you can even land on their private airstrips). However, although they believe they are on "safari" we prefer to stay for at least 3 nights to get the benefit of the early morning (6am) game drive and the late aftenoon/early evening drive.

So I do agree that in my case (and yours) a safari would need to be longer than a day but for others they believe that seeing animals in the wild qualifies for their trip to be termed a safari.

OP, I would still recommend 3 nights in CT and 3 nights on safari to get the best of both worlds!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a 2 week Kenyan safari, so I'm a little biased here :-)

A quick look through ask.com using "day safari Cape Town" yielded a couple of private reserves 2-4 hour outside of Cape Town. You can look yourself and see if any of these would satisfy you.

BUT, you really won't get a safari experience that you wouldn't get if you booked the Deluxe Caravan Safari at the San Diego Safari Park. You might actually get a better experience at San Diego. The private reserves are really just like the Park - they "import" the animals and have them in "natural settings". I did the San Diego safari in the spring to check out my photography skills before setting off for my Kenyan safari. So, I know of where I speak :-)

I'd see if you can extend a few more days before you leave Cape Town and take 3 days in a real Park. Too bad the ship doesn't stop in Mombassa - you could visit a Kenyan Park :-)

• 1 month later...
I am hoping someone can help with some african safaries. I really really hope to see the big 5. I love Lions!:D

I am travelling next year April/May and disembarking in Cape Town on May 5th and will be staying in Cape Town for a few days after. I will be in:

Any suggestions on safaries for these locations that fit in the times would be very helpful.

thanks

Chez

P&O Arcadia is in Capetown for two days next April. We are doing the little day safari from there. Around £150 pp. Not cheap, but what is cheap on a ship?

• 2 weeks later...

Chez and Paul, DH and I will be on the Ocean Princess with you too. We're also looking for a safari.

Of course Princess doesn't have their excursions for our cruise online yet, but I'd like to know what I want by the time they're bookable. I checked their "shore excursions" section and found two overnight safaris under Durban: Phinda Private Game Rreserve (36 hours) and Kruger National Park (76 hours). Under New London, I found the Phinda safari again, but not Kruger. It wasn't clear where the excursions would rejoin the ship or which ports would be missed by taking the overland route. It also wasn't clear which direction the writer assumed that the cruise was heading.

Does anyone know?

I didn't find any under Cape Town. Too bad because the ship is there for 3 days. Maybe we could find a private trip.

Chez and Paul, DH and I will be on the Ocean Princess with you too. We're also looking for a safari.

Of course Princess doesn't have their excursions for our cruise online yet, but I'd like to know what I want by the time they're bookable. I checked their "shore excursions" section and found two overnight safaris under Durban: Phinda Private Game Rreserve (36 hours) and Kruger National Park (76 hours). Under New London, I found the Phinda safari again, but not Kruger. It wasn't clear where the excursions would rejoin the ship or which ports would be missed by taking the overland route. It also wasn't clear which direction the writer assumed that the cruise was heading.

Does anyone know?

I didn't find any under Cape Town. Too bad because the ship is there for 3 days. Maybe we could find a private trip.

Hi Islandwoman, if you post your cruise itinerary I can try to help!

Hi Islandwoman, if you post your cruise itinerary I can try to help!

Asia and the Middle East ports

Port Louis, Mauritius

Pointe des Galets, Reunion Island

3 days at sea

Durban, South Africa

East London, South Africa

one day at sea

Cape Town, South Africa 3 days

1 day at sea

Luderitz, Nambia

Walvis Bay, Nambia

4 days at sea

Cononou, Benin

Lome, Togo

Accra, Ghana

3 days at sea

Dakar, Senegal

1 day at sea

Mindelo, Cape Verde

2 days at sea

Teneriffe, Canary Islands

Casablanca

European ports

Hi islandwoman

I'm not sure how the cruiseline would transfer you from the port of Durban to Phinda. It's either about 3 hours by road or they may charter a flight. I'm not sure what time of year your cruise is - Phinda is a wonderful game reserve but gets very hot and humid in summer (Dec - Mar). I would think that after spending the one night at Phinda, you would fly to East London to rejoin the cruise.

If you did the 76 hour Kruger Park option, I would think you would rejoin the ship in Cape Town. If you are keen on doing a safari, I would rather recommend this. You get more time to see more animals rather than the Phinda option which sounds a bit rushed to me.

As far as missing East London - this is a small town with not a huge amount to see so I don't think that's a problem.

There is so much to see and do in Cape Town that I think 3 days would not even be enough - I am going there in a week's time and spending 6 days there and still won't get to see everything I want to.

So, if it was me, I would do the Kruger option!

Hope this helps!

Does anyone know?

I will also be on the ship with Islandwoman, - looking for a safari as well. Please post on board any viable safaris - Sheila

• 2 weeks later...
Hi islandwoman

I'm not sure how the cruiseline would transfer you from the port of Durban to Phinda. It's either about 3 hours by road or they may charter a flight. I'm not sure what time of year your cruise is - Phinda is a wonderful game reserve but gets very hot and humid in summer (Dec - Mar). I would think that after spending the one night at Phinda, you would fly to East London to rejoin the cruise.

If you did the 76 hour Kruger Park option, I would think you would rejoin the ship in Cape Town. If you are keen on doing a safari, I would rather recommend this. You get more time to see more animals rather than the Phinda option which sounds a bit rushed to me.

As far as missing East London - this is a small town with not a huge amount to see so I don't think that's a problem.

There is so much to see and do in Cape Town that I think 3 days would not even be enough - I am going there in a week's time and spending 6 days there and still won't get to see everything I want to.

So, if it was me, I would do the Kruger option!

Hope this helps!

It does! Thank you.

I will also be on the ship with Islandwoman, - looking for a safari as well. Please post on board any viable safaris - Sheila

Hi Sheila

Are you looking at extending your stay in South Africa after the cruise?

What date is your cruise?

• 2 months later...

We'll be on a cruise in 2013 and would love to do an overnight safari. This is the itinerary:

Tues, Apr. 2 Maputo, Mozambique

Wed. Apr. 3 Richards Bay, So. Africa

Thurs. Apr. 4 Durban, So. Africa

Fri. Apr. 5 Sea Day

Sat. Apr. 6 Sea Day

Sun. Apr.7 Cape Town

Mon. Apr. 8 Cape Town

Tues. Apr. 9 Cape Town

Wed. Apr. 10 Sea Day

Thurs. Apr. 11 Walvis Bay, Namibia

Fri. Apr. 12 Walvis Bay

We'd really like to be able to see Cape Town and do the Safari from another city. If necessary we could leave the ship in one port and catch it in the next port.

Mercury, what do you think? Anyone else have other names for tour companies? There will probably be other couples that would like to join us. What is a good size for a tour like this?

Thanks!

Susan & Ray

smara6344 at aol dot com if you want to email me. Just put Safari in memo line so it won't go to spam. :)

We'll be on a cruise in 2013 and would love to do an overnight safari. This is the itinerary:

Tues, Apr. 2 Maputo, Mozambique

Wed. Apr. 3 Richards Bay, So. Africa

Thurs. Apr. 4 Durban, So. Africa

Fri. Apr. 5 Sea Day

Sat. Apr. 6 Sea Day

Sun. Apr.7 Cape Town

Mon. Apr. 8 Cape Town

Tues. Apr. 9 Cape Town

Wed. Apr. 10 Sea Day

Thurs. Apr. 11 Walvis Bay, Namibia

Fri. Apr. 12 Walvis Bay

We'd really like to be able to see Cape Town and do the Safari from another city. If necessary we could leave the ship in one port and catch it in the next port.

Mercury, what do you think? Anyone else have other names for tour companies? There will probably be other couples that would like to join us. What is a good size for a tour like this?

Thanks!

Susan & Ray

smara6344 at aol dot com if you want to email me. Just put Safari in memo line so it won't go to spam. :)

Hi Susan and Ray,

If you want to arrange your own trip, then the easiest option would be to spend the extra days at Phinda and then fly from Durban to Cape Town and rejoin the ship there. That would be the easier option. If you wanted to go to Kruger Park/Sabi Sands it would probably be best to see what the cruise line offers first as there are alot of flights involved. It could be done if you really want to make it work.

Sorry this is such a short answer, need to get my dinner cooked! If you need more help, let me know :)

I looked at the site for Phinda and it is quite interesting. Is there a reason you chose that one? There are about 20 from the cruise that also want to do a safari. I want to plan one for senior citizens in late 60's early 70's that wouldn't be able to do a lot of hiking but want to see the big 5. Thanks for the info.

I looked at the site for Phinda and it is quite interesting. Is there a reason you chose that one?

I'm not sure whether your question is directed to me, but I'll answer it anyway. We chose Phinda only because Princess is offering it as a shore excursion. We would have preferred Kruger National Park if it had been offered. We don't feel comfortable with a private overnight shore excursion because of the logistics problems of trying to meet the ship in another port in a part of the world where we have never been before.

I looked at the site for Phinda and it is quite interesting. Is there a reason you chose that one? There are about 20 from the cruise that also want to do a safari. I want to plan one for senior citizens in late 60's early 70's that wouldn't be able to do a lot of hiking but want to see the big 5. Thanks for the info.

Phinda is probably the best choice for visitors to the province of Kwa Zulu Natal (Richard's Bay and Durban are both in Kwa Zulu Natal). Try contacting Phinda and see what they can arrange for you.

You will be transported around in 4x4 safari vehicles so no need to hike. I'm sure they would offer hiking if anyone wanted it.

You won't have a problem reconnecting to the ship form Durban Intnl Airport to Cape Town as there are many flights on a daily basis by at least 5 different airlines.

Try:

www.flysaa.com

www.kulula.com

www.ba.com (British Airways)

The flight schedules for 2012 won't be out yet, but you'll get a good idea.

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure whether your question is directed to me, but I'll answer it anyway. We chose Phinda only because Princess is offering it as a shore excursion. We would have preferred Kruger National Park if it had been offered. We don't feel comfortable with a private overnight shore excursion because of the logistics problems of trying to meet the ship in another port in a part of the world where we have never been before.

Yes, I think a private overnight stay may be cutting it a bit fine. If you could stay for longer, it would however be an option to look at a private safari as in the case of "Put me on a Boat".

I also agree that Kruger/Sabi is a better option but that would involve too many connecting flights.

• 1 year later...

Hi Chez,

I have just seen your log from your cruise to Africa.

I wondered how you went, we are on the Ocean princess next March, Sydney to Cape Town, and we want to do a Safari after we arrive in Africa.

There seems to be a 3 day tour with Princess from Durban to Phinda reserve, it is $2000 !! But no info other than that is on line.

What did you do in the end, and did you enjoy your cruise and Safari?

Hope to hear from you

B&B

OTE=ckl001;29636343]I am hoping someone can help with some african safaries. I really really hope to see the big 5. I love Lions!:D

thanks

Chez

Archived