Oct 1 Fascination cancel or not?

cruisekitty22

Anyone else thinking of cancelling their cruise for Oct 1 on the Fascination? We have insurance but don't think it will pay for all our expenses and we went through a TA too. Do you think ANY of the ports will be open on this itinerary? San Juan to St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia,St. Kitts St Maarten back to San Juan.

Will San Juan even be open? We are stressed to the max worrying about our cruise! We don't know if we should just cancel it an try to recoup some money on the trip and airfare and excursions we already bought.

Well, I doubt San Juan will be open for you to sail from her. I would wait to see what they do/offer. Since she also picks up passengers in Barbados, she could do all her cruises from there, substituting ports that are out of service. EM

San Juan sounds like it may be down for quite a while. Carnival will probably operate Fascination out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale until San Juan is back up. Carnival will not just let Fascination sit in limbo until San Juan gets back up and going again. Fascination will probably sail on different itinerary ports also until those ports are ready for cruise ships again. St. Thomas and St. Maarten are definitely out for a while. Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Kitts were not hit too hard and i'm sure just clean up some downed tree branches and they will still be ready for cruise ship passengers.

I'm on the same sailing. I dont have insurance so I have no option but to wait. Fingers crossed that things get up and running smoothly. I'd love to visit these islands and spend some money. I can't even imagine what they are going thru right now.

Keep what you have let Carnival tell you what is happening, I am sure nobody is getting in and out of San Juan for a very long time...just wait till you hear from Carnival they may offer incentives and you can choose another ship or they will make plans to send that ship somewhere else (I believe the ship is far away from San Juan at this time, they generally take the ships all away from hurricanes to save them) and perhaps you get refund, another itinerary out of another port or be able to go on another ship. I would not do a thing oh no I have a tornado warning right now@!!

While not in the same boat as you, I am supposed to leave out of Charelston on the 30th. I will wait and see what the storms will do and then wait on Carnival if I need to. So I would advise wait and see. With things as bad as they are in SJ not sure how flights will get in and Carnival will have to make a decision at that time.

Does anyone know how airlines work? If the port is closed and Carnival closes the ports and goes from another port how do we deal with our airfare? That short of notice airfare to somewhere else is going to cost a pretty penny.

While I can't say for certain but I believe the Airline would credit back your payment and you would have to find transportation to the new port.

I'm on the same sailing. I dont have insurance so I have no option but to wait. Fingers crossed that things get up and running smoothly. I'd love to visit these islands and spend some money. I can't even imagine what they are going thru right now.

I was on this itinerary a few weeks ago. We were in St Maarten on Saturday visiting friends and sipping cocktails at their bar on the beach and 4 days later Irma devastated the island and that bar is now gone. I used to live there and still have many friends who live there. I have received almost daily updates and pictures from them. All of them have lost their homes, belongings and/or businesses. Still without power, water, etc. There is no way to visit that island unless it is for official business. Our land vacation there in Dec/Jan has already been cancelled. I know you would like to visit and spend money there to help but right now, a donation would be a way to help if you want to spend money. As the people of St Maarten and several other islands are trying to get their lives in order and deal with that and it will be a very long time until they are able to deal with tourists again. It is really heartbreaking.

Our Fascination cruise is scheduled for the next week, October 8.

If it is canceled by Carnival, will they refund ALL of the cruise expenses, including cruise charges, taxes/fees, prepaid gratuities, insurance, excursions? (I know they won't refund our airfare which we booked independently.)

This is definitely a first for us after many cruises. :o

San Juan sounds like it may be down for quite a while. Carnival will probably operate Fascination out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale until San Juan is back up. Carnival will not just let Fascination sit in limbo until San Juan gets back up and going again. Fascination will probably sail on different itinerary ports also until those ports are ready for cruise ships again. St. Thomas and St. Maarten are definitely out for a while. Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Kitts were not hit too hard and i'm sure just clean up some downed tree branches and they will still be ready for cruise ship passengers.

Fearless prediction; FEMA charters fascination for first responders/contractors/clean up crews in San Juan. Minimum 90 days.

We are on the Same Ship, Same Dates. See you there????? lol

If it is canceled by Carnival, will they refund ALL of the cruise expenses, including cruise charges, taxes/fees, prepaid gratuities, insurance, excursions? (I know they won't refund our airfare which we booked independently.)

Anyone else thinking of cancelling their cruise for Oct 1 on the Fascination? We have insurance but don't think it will pay for all our expenses and we went through a TA too. Do you think ANY of the ports will be open on this itinerary? San Juan to St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia,St. Kitts St Maarten back to San Juan.

Will San Juan even be open? We are stressed to the max worrying about our cruise! We don't know if we should just cancel it an try to recoup some money on the trip and airfare and excursions we already bought.

From the Carnival website:

HURRICANE MARIA

ITINERARY UPDATES 9/23/2017 – 11:30:00 AM (EDT)

Carnival Fascination – San Juan

The Port of San Juan is open and Carnival Fascination is expected to dock at 12:00 PM today. Guests will be given the opportunity to debark today or continue with us as the ship repositions to Miami, where it will arrive on Monday evening at 7:00 PM. All guests are invited to stay on board until Wednesday afternoon as they wait for their flights. Our airline partners are committed to working with our guests to waive any change fees associated with rescheduling flights.

Port officials have informed us that our terminal in San Juan has sustained extensive damage as a result of Hurricane Maria. The assessment is still in progress but it now appears that it will take several weeks to make the necessary repairs. Unfortunately, this means the following San Juan and Barbados sailings will have to be cancelled:

San Juan departures

September 24

October 1

October 8

Barbados departures

September 27

October 4

October 11

For all canceled cruises, a full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment.

Given the circumstances, we are working with our airline partners to assist those guests with independent air travel regarding the waiver of change fees.