Traveling with a Birth Certificate

The Real Double D

Curious question. My passport recently expired. We're looking to cruise next year and I was told all I need is my birth certificate and a photo ID. Is that true? And if so, does any one else travel with a birth certificate rather than a passport? Just trying to figure out if I should spend the extra money to get my passport renewed. Will only be traveling to the Bahamas.

Curious question. My passport recently expired. We're looking to cruise next year and I was told all I need is my birth certificate and a photo ID. Is that true? And if so, does any one else travel with a birth certificate rather than a passport? Just trying to figure out if I should spend the extra money to get my passport renewed. Will only be traveling to the Bahamas.

US citizens on a closed loop cruise may use a government issued birth certificate with a government issued photo ID. If they are born abroad they may use their Consular Report of Birth Abroad or their Naturalization certificate as appropriate. Most people who only travel on closed loop cruises who obtain passports for that type of travel do so in the event something happens that makes them return home before the ship does, which is not something that you can easily do with a BC (it adds another layer of hassle into the process but you would still get home). It all depends on your risk factors and your comfort with those risks.

Carnival Cruise Lines allows you to travel with them using a birth certificate and government issued photo ID that are WHTI compliant. This is only good for marine crossings in Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean islands participating in the initiative. The Bahamas are part of WHTI, so YES you can travel there with ID and BC.

The birth certificate must be issued by the Department of Health or Vital Statistics for the State, County, or town you were born in. If born as a US citizen overseas a Consulate Report of Birth may also be used. The BC must be whole, clearly legible, and have it security features evident. The government issued photo ID must be valid for the duration of the cruise and the name, excluding middle names, must match the name on the birth certificate. If the name on the birth certificate and ID do not match bridge documents showing why the name change occurred must be shown, for example marriage certificate or adoption papers. The booking name must match the name on the photo ID.

Another option is to get a passport card. I'm not sure if this applies as your passport is expired, but for people that have a valid passport book the card is only $30. otherwise with the application fee it is $55 for the card. A passport card is good only for land and sea entry. It cannot be used for international air travel, but it is something that is lot easier to carry than all the other documents for a cruise. In an emergency it is helpful to have if the US Consulate needs to issue an expedited passport book as it shows all forms of ID for a regular PP book were already presented to the State Department.

Lastly you may want to consider the Real ID Act, google it. As early as January 22nd 2018 if your state is not ID compliant at the federal level you will need a federal ID to be able to fly domestically, the passport card supports this.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Edited by maryred
Lost a sentence

Yes you can, however you will need a bridging document (like a marriage cert) if your Birth Certificate name does not match your Drivers License. It MAY or MAY NOT be asked for, but its still a requirement to have a bridging document.

Can't be much of a requirement if it isn't asked for, don't you think. Ever heard of anyone denied boarding because they didn't have the marriage certificate proving name change? Not me.

A reason that you would be denied boarding is

a new bride booked her honeymoon cruise in her new name. Her license has her old name on it, same as her birth certificate. So nothing matches the cruise document name.

Can't be much of a requirement if it isn't asked for, don't you think. Ever heard of anyone denied boarding because they didn't have the marriage certificate proving name change? Not me.

a new bride booked her honeymoon cruise in her new name. Her license has her old name on it, same as her birth certificate. So nothing matches the cruise document name.

Carrying one extra piece of paper that is in one's possession anyway falls into the category of "better to be safe than sorry" which is why we always brought ours when we traveled without passports. (I believe the verbiage on the website is more directed toward the air travel portion of the trip but it can be read as applying to the cruise portion as well, plus CBP does have the authority to ask to see additional documentation even if it isn't required by the regulations.)

It is not a requirement for boarding, since CBP does not screen your documents on boarding. The requirement for a bridging document is from CBP, and it is up to the discretion of the CBP officer as to whether or not he/she wants to see it at disembarkation. Failure to have necessary bridging documents can lead to a lengthier CBP interview, and subsequent missed travel arrangements, while the CBP searches databases to prove you are you.

However it IS a requirement as stated in the the travel documents needed :

(The government issued photo ID must be valid for the duration of the cruise and the name, excluding middle names, must match the name on the birth certificate. If the name on the birth certificate and ID do not match bridge documents showing why the name change occurred must be shown, for example marriage certificate or adoption papers. The booking name must match the name on the photo ID)

The OP asked a question and answers have been provided. Just because you have never experienced it, doesn't mean its not valid.

I for one, have been asked for a bridging document during the embarkation process. My birth certificate didnt match my DL, so I was asked to show a marriage certificate. Thankfully I was prepared from the advice of the ever so helpful members on this board and doing my due diligence on researching the required travel documents.

Always someone that says it will never happen because they are the experts, and never heard it happening, but yet it happens every day.

When you book travel, it needs to be in your legal name, and you must prove who you are. A passport is the preferred item, but a DL and BC will work if it is in your name. Since a person changes their name, it is not in the same name, so a legal "bridging" document is needed to show the name change. It's not that hard. When you book your cruise, check your passport, or documents, and make sure you have everything. If you don't, than fix it before the cruise.

What about the western carribbean ports? Can we get on and off the ship in these ports without a passport?

If you are a US citizen on a closed loop cruise then yes as outlined above. If you didn't have the required documentation for the port you wouldn't be allowed to board, they don't let you board even if you promise to stay onboard during the stop.