Our enjoyable day walking around Key West

Trish Traveler

We recently visited Key West on the Carnival Conquest. We headed out shortly after 8am for a full day of exploring Key West on foot. We had been to Key West once before and did the trolley, so we were familiar enough to have a plan for exploring today. I like to enjoy some themed reading prior to vacations, so I had read the book “Key West History of an Island of Dreams” by Maureen Ogle which was fascinating – I highly recommend it if you enjoy history. The weather was great and it was nice and empty in the port area (docked near the Westin) to get some pictures, and over at the red bricked Customs House where the lifelike statues are located. We headed down Whitehead past Hemingway House (we toured this previously), the Lighthouse and on to the end of Highway 1, before continuing to the Southernmost Point for a picture. We also walked over to tiny South Beach, past the Southernmost House and back up to the Butterfly House (helpful hint: the gift shop here has a public bathroom in addition to some beautiful butterfly gift items) We also did a bit of geocaching in Key West; which is a treasure hunt using a GPS device and is found worldwide. It is a great activity and you can learn more about it at geocachingdotcom.

We then felt ourselves drawn to Kermit’s for a frozen chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick. Delicious and decadent! Next stop was the interesting Key West Cemetery, which has some really unusual and old headstones, including one that says “I told you I was sick”! We continued on using the historic walking tour map to see some of the highlights listed including the free tour of the Oldest House and gardens. Really enjoyed all the beautiful homes, architectural styles, tropical gardens and pastel colors. Back on Duval, we toured some of the numerous bars enjoying the live music, and stopped for a beer at Sloppy Joe’s where I had been enjoying their web cam leading up to the cruise. Refreshed we were ready to continue on to the beautiful historic marina area called The Bight. It is a boardwalk along the harbor where all the yachts are moored, past many lovely shops and restaurants. This is a really beautiful area if Duval Street gets a little too hectic for you. There is also another Kermit’s near here with the “baker” who will pose for pictures. Time to head back to Mallory Square for some shopping before boarding the ship.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day even if our feet were less enthusiastic! It was a pleasant weather day in the 70's, which helped a lot. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes for any walking tour. The cemetery and historic tour maps can be found online for advance planning.

We recently visited Key West on the Carnival Conquest. We headed out shortly after 8am for a full day of exploring Key West on foot. We had been to Key West once before and did the trolley, so we were familiar enough to have a plan for exploring today. I like to enjoy some themed reading prior to vacations, so I had read the book “Key West History of an Island of Dreams” by Maureen Ogle which was fascinating – I highly recommend it if you enjoy history. The weather was great and it was nice and empty in the port area (docked near the Westin) to get some pictures, and over at the red bricked Customs House where the lifelike statues are located. We headed down Whitehead past Hemingway House (we toured this previously), the Lighthouse and on to the end of Highway 1, before continuing to the Southernmost Point for a picture. We also walked over to tiny South Beach, past the Southernmost House and back up to the Butterfly House (helpful hint: the gift shop here has a public bathroom in addition to some beautiful butterfly gift items) We also did a bit of geocaching in Key West; which is a treasure hunt using a GPS device and is found worldwide. It is a great activity and you can learn more about it at geocachingdotcom.

We then felt ourselves drawn to Kermit’s for a frozen chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick. Delicious and decadent! Next stop was the interesting Key West Cemetery, which has some really unusual and old headstones, including one that says “I told you I was sick”! We continued on using the historic walking tour map to see some of the highlights listed including the free tour of the Oldest House and gardens. Really enjoyed all the beautiful homes, architectural styles, tropical gardens and pastel colors. Back on Duval, we toured some of the numerous bars enjoying the live music, and stopped for a beer at Sloppy Joe’s where I had been enjoying their web cam leading up to the cruise. Refreshed we were ready to continue on to the beautiful historic marina area called The Bight. It is a boardwalk along the harbor where all the yachts are moored, past many lovely shops and restaurants. This is a really beautiful area if Duval Street gets a little too hectic for you. There is also another Kermit’s near here with the “baker” who will pose for pictures. Time to head back to Mallory Square for some shopping before boarding the ship.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day even if our feet were less enthusiastic! It was a pleasant weather day in the 70's, which helped a lot. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes for any walking tour. The cemetery and historic tour maps can be found online for advance planning.

Terrific review of a day in Key West - -thank you for sharing.

We have walked most the area but somehow I missed the Cemetery although I have seen it from the trolley tour. We enjoy going to the Schooner Bar for it's location near the water and Michael McLeod's music.

Thank you for sharing - we plan on doing the same when we are there in April. We have been to KW only one time a few years ago and we did the bar hop through the ship, that did not give us much shopping or sightseeing time. This time we plan to see more and drink less (maybe)..

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your review. I am looking forward to visiting the cemetery here. I try to make one cemetery stop every place we visit. I just find them so fascinating.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you so much, this I exactly what we were looking for advicewise, we have never been to KW and chose this cruise with that in mind. I knew I wanted to tour the Hemmingway house, see the cats, and have pie :) Oh and a photo at the pier post. This advice organizes the time and more to see. :)

Edited by Minn.cruisers

Will definitely be taking tips from this. Was not sure if we were going to do the trolley or walk but some great ideas here. Want to spend money on food and drinks the whole day, nothing else.

Edited by kdawg954

• 3 weeks later...