Have a Fight On My Hands

Hei1980

DH has fought me when he needed a cane, then another fight concerning a walker; now it is the scooter. What to do? It turned out I was right about the cane and about the walker. Know his life would be easier with the scooter. It takes all of his strength to walk a short distance. I am not strong enough to push him in a wheelchair for any amount of time.

Sorry, guys, but men are very vain and I think he feels to have a scooter small enough to be of service on a cruise ship he would look foolish being 225 lbs and 6 ft tall. Too big for something that small. He also worries about going to the dining room, what to do with the scooter and how does he get to the table without his walker? My answer is this; I am 5’2” tall and he could use me and a cane.

Now, do I just go ahead and order the scooter?

DH has fought me when he needed a cane, then another fight concerning a walker; now it is the scooter. What to do? It turned out I was right about the cane and about the walker. Know his life would be easier with the scooter. It takes all of his strength to walk a short distance. I am not strong enough to push him in a wheelchair for any amount of time.

Sorry, guys, but men are very vain and I think he feels to have a scooter small enough to be of service on a cruise ship he would look foolish being 225 lbs and 6 ft tall. Too big for something that small. He also worries about going to the dining room, what to do with the scooter and how does he get to the table without his walker? My answer is this; I am 5’2” tall and he could use me and a cane.

Here are thoughts on a couple of issues:

If your husband is going to use a scooter, you need a handicap-accessible cabin. Most scooters will not fit through the door of a regular cabin (regardless of what the cruise line or scooter manufacturers might tell you!), and even if you did somehow manage to get the scooter through the door, then you and your husband would be tripping over it or having to climb over it whenever it was in the cabin.

All regular-sized scooters and power wheelchairs can work quite well on a cruise ship. I rent a power wheelchair when I cruise, and did not have a problem getting anywhere on the ship.

As for the dining thing -- you arrange to have a table near the door, or where there's a direct path from the door to the table. You "drive" up to the table, transfer into a dining chair, and one of the staff will take your scooter and "park" it out of the way. Then when you're ready to leave, you ask them to get it for you. This is not a big deal; they do it for anyone who requests it, and seem to enjoy "playing" with the scooter as they move it to the side, somewhere.

If you're in a power chair, you simple move up to the table, and they'll remove one of the regular chairs. This is also not a big deal.

I'm a large person too -- the power chair worked very well for me on my last cruise.

Try looking for a Scootie, (and look around, not just one place, their are about four or five different sites that sell the same thing, even E-Bay) it's a bit smaller than your average size scooter, the four wheel types and they break apart in three pieces for easy handling. They're light weight as well total about 120/125 lbs, apart the heaviest piece is 75 lbs The cost is pretty reasonable as well, they make them with three or four wheels, the front wheels (with the four wheel model is a bit more stable).

As for the vain thing, it comes with stubborness.

Doesn't make a difference if male or female when it comes to Pride. it's hard to accept that one might need to use mobility equipment at all and than have to progress to a scooter. It's hard to accept that but we all get over it when we realize it changes are life for the better.

You might try this approach. Would suggest stressing to DH that it's not about whether or not he needs a scooter for long term use. Instead it's all about energy managment, expanding ones independance and both of you enjoying the vacation. It also needs to be stressed to DH that he places you at great risk when he expects you to support him while he uses only a cane. What happens if you were to fall and hurt yourself in the process ? You'd be of no use to him. The scooter will help him to realize that independence is greater that trying to save pride.

I suggested this approach to a friend of mine and than she just rented the scooter. It's has changed her husband's whole thinking about a scooter. In fact since he now will use a scooter when traveling, they take more cruises. She comes back having felt as though she had a vacation with her husband rather than feeling like an overworked/underappreciated caregiver.

To answer your other questions

No he will will not look foolish using a scooter. There will be many others on the ship. The rental company will take height /weight into consideration so he gets the appropriate scooter. Also ask the to properly adjust the seat height before delivering it to the cabin. There will be many others on the ship.

For dining : he'll drive the scooter right up to the dining table. Transfer into a chair and the waiter will store with scooter and return it after dinner.

For years, I had no idea DH was using me as his cane; he was great at hiding his problem. I was exhausted most of the time, then he began to fall taking me with him. Not a pretty sight, two old people on the floor. Finally, I got wise and DH got a cane. To this day I walk at least five feet ahead of him, having 225 lbs take you out is not fun. Now, we tell everyone that I walk in front of him because he fears land mines. LOL

On our last cruise I won enough money to buy a scooter; it will be my gift to him. “One cannot look a gift horse in the mouth.” Thank you for your help in this very important matter to us. BTW, we have Cat 11 for the next three cruises planned. That should help parking a scooter in the cabin, not good but not bad?

I've used both a scooter (full size) and a power wheelchair

on many cruises. It certainly was a better choice

than when I used crutches and thus was limited in time I could

be out and about as well as distance I could walk.

And with the crutches I was often worried about falling.

I suggest you rent a scooter for your next cruise. It will

be delivered to your cabin for your use on the ship and

at ports. Then you leave it in your cabin when you depart.

The rental company will determine the size needed. Check

with your cruise line - some require rentals for specific companies.

You will need a handicap accessible cabin to accommodate

the scooter.

As stated above - it is very easy to use the scooter in the dining

room.

You might want to have your husband try out scooters at a medical

supply store. They can also assess the type and size he needs.

Or you could try one in places like grocery stores or some stores.

However, they are large, bulky pieces of equipment. But it will give

him a little practice on how they operate before cruising.

Also, the cruise line personnel will assist you at embarkation and push

him in a wheelchair to your cabin.

Try looking for a Scootie, (and look around, not just one place, their are about four or five different sites that sell the same thing, even E-Bay) it's a bit smaller than your average size scooter, the four wheel types and they break apart in three pieces for easy handling. They're light weight as well total about 120/125 lbs, apart the heaviest piece is 75 lbs The cost is pretty reasonable as well, they make them with three or four wheels, the front wheels (with the four wheel model is a bit more stable).

As for the vain thing, it comes with stubborness.

That sized scooter will not work for a 6 foot tall/225 pound man.

I am female but 6 feet 2 inches tall and unfortunately outweigh your husband (but only barely). I have a standard scooter that I use around my neighborhood. I purchased a travelscoot expressly for travel. I am amazed how well it works for me. Although it is small it has power and only weighs 35 pounds TOTAL. It collapses into a duffel bag which my DH can handle easily although we have also purchased a hard sided golf bag carrier which it fits in and that has wheels so he says that is even easier. My only caveats about the scooter are that there is no reverse (if I need to reverse I push with my feet) and you must use the brakes to slow or stop the scooter. My big scooter stops automatically when I release the drive, but I have to remember to use the brakes on the travelscoot.

I agree with uppity. The compact scooters do have weight limits. Many, like the scootie have a 250 pound weight limit, but I have to say that they really do better with lighter people. They tend to really bog down when they carry someone 225 or so. Best bet is to invest in a full-size scooter, which will have more pep an be able to accommodate your husband. As for getting to the dining room table (or elsewhere), why not just carry a folding cane in the basket? It also comes in handy for opening doors. My advice is to shop around and test drive a lot of scooters, so your husband finds something that is comfortable for him, and has the pep he needs.

Candy

You sound exactly like me a few years back. First he didn't want the cane -- I went ahead and bought it and he agreed that it was very helpful. Next we went on a land vacation and we had real difficulty with the walking and the heat (he has MS), but he didn't need anything more than the cane :rolleyes: The next land vacation we went on was for our 25th wedding anniversary and we renewed our vows on the beach. My gift for him was a scooter. Well, there was no looking back for him. The scooter gave him such independence and he can now go where he wants, when he wants -- he loves it.

I would suggest that you rent one for your cruise. Once he tries it and sees how awesome it is, I'm sure you will have no trouble talking him into buying one when you get home. I would change the booking to a HC cabin so you can get the scooter in the room and so you have the extra space for it.

Good luck, let us know how you make out

Mrs. Wheelie

Doesn't make a difference if male or female when it comes to Pride. it's hard to accept that one might need to use mobility equipment at all and than have to progress to a scooter. It's hard to accept that but we all get over it when we realize it changes are life for the better.

You might try this approach. Would suggest stressing to DH that it's not about whether or not he needs a scooter for long term use. Instead it's all about energy managment, expanding ones independance and both of you enjoying the vacation. It also needs to be stressed to DH that he places you at great risk when he expects you to support him while he uses only a cane. What happens if you were to fall and hurt yourself in the process ? You'd be of no use to him. The scooter will help him to realize that independence is greater that trying to save pride.

I suggested this approach to a friend of mine and than she just rented the scooter. It's has changed her husband's whole thinking about a scooter. In fact since he now will use a scooter when traveling, they take more cruises. She comes back having felt as though she had a vacation with her husband rather than feeling like an overworked/underappreciated caregiver.

To answer your other questions

No he will will not look foolish using a scooter. There will be many others on the ship. The rental company will take height /weight into consideration so he gets the appropriate scooter. Also ask the to properly adjust the seat height before delivering it to the cabin. There will be many others on the ship.

For dining : he'll drive the scooter right up to the dining table. Transfer into a chair and the waiter will store with scooter and return it after dinner.

You got that right, we had the hardest time getting mom to use any assisted walking devices. I finally had to put my foot down when she was staying with me after surgery. I said she had to use the walker or go somewhere that had professional staff to take care of her. I'm just not physically capable of assisting someone everywhere since I'm disabled.

My sister usually takes her shopping and found it was getting harder and harder to get things done because, at 87, she's just not as mobile as she used to be. My sister suggested getting a WC just to keep in the car for shopping. My mother was horrified at the suggestion and called me crying. Several months later mom decided it was a good idea.

I've used both a scooter (full size) and a power wheelchair

on many cruises. It certainly was a better choice

than when I used crutches and thus was limited in time I could

be out and about as well as distance I could walk.

And with the crutches I was often worried about falling.

I suggest you rent a scooter for your next cruise. It will

be delivered to your cabin for your use on the ship and

at ports. Then you leave it in your cabin when you depart.

The rental company will determine the size needed. Check

with your cruise line - some require rentals for specific companies.

Concerning the renting of the scooter; in December we will be on two 8 day cruises, BTB. The cost of the rental would be more than the $800.00 scooter. Will try to find somewhere for DH to give it a test run, size-wise. We were at Sam's Club and he used an electric cart; ah freedom, he looked 10 years younger and wore a wonderful smile on his face the whole time!

I am female but 6 feet 2 inches tall and unfortunately outweigh your husband (but only barely). I have a standard scooter that I use around my neighborhood. I purchased a travelscoot expressly for travel. I am amazed how well it works for me. Although it is small it has power and only weighs 35 pounds TOTAL. It collapses into a duffel bag which my DH can handle easily although we have also purchased a hard sided golf bag carrier which it fits in and that has wheels so he says that is even easier. My only caveats about the scooter are that there is no reverse (if I need to reverse I push with my feet) and you must use the brakes to slow or stop the scooter. My big scooter stops automatically when I release the drive, but I have to remember to use the brakes on the travelscoot.

I am considering the travelscoot based on your testimony and what I have read on their site. Is there any more you can tell me regarding accelerating and any other feelings? We are avid cruisers but now I am experiencing foot and endurance problems.

Georgia

The fact you have a Cat 11 cabin does not mean that a scooter will fit through the door.

when you have a scooter you need an HC cabin. the smaller travel models will not work for someone that is large. If you get one he will then be SURE he does not want a scooter period and won't get a regular one when he needs one.

buy a regular one and change to an HC cabin if you can still get one.

As to the dining room it is no problem you ride the scooter as close as it can get to the table then the staff will ride it back to a parking area and return it when you want to leave.

Georgia, I have a TraveScoot too, and have been using it for months with very good results. I'm 5'6" tall and over 400 lbs and amazingly, the TravelScoot works wonderfully for me. I'm keeping a blog about it, at http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com, if you'd like to read more.

With a 180-lb person the TravelScoot will go a maximum of 6 mph. At my weight it flies fast enough that I feel the breeze in my hair. I can't imagine wanting it to go any faster than it does. I have the lithium ion battery, and it's tested to go for 8 miles. There's more interesting battery information on the TravelScoot website, at http://www.TravelScoot.com/batteries.htm.

I haven't taken mine on a cruise yet, but I'll be doing that next March. My scooter weighs 35 lbs., with the battery, and I can break it down and put it in the trunk of my Camry in about a minute. It folds up like an umbrella.

My problem is endurance and my knees. I can walk short distances just fine, and have good balance. I really just need help with distances. My TravelScoot helps me be independent. I don't need it at work, but with it I'm able to shop and do other things by myself. I especially like it that I can lift it in and out of my car with no assistance.

Elizabeth

Hei,

I read a book titled "When Walking Fails," by By Lisa I. Iezzoni. She's a doctor who has MS and uses a scooter to get around. I highly recommend the book, and I believe there are many points made in it that will help you convince your husband to use mobility aids if he needs them.

It sounds like your husband is probably also doing something she calls "furniture surfing" where you move around your home by going from one piece of furniture to another. I didn't realize I was doing that until I read this book. Or since he holds onto you, maybe we should call it PEOPLE surfing!

I believe this book is now out of print, but many copies are available on eBay for $1.95 each with reasonable shipping.

Being able to move freely without pain or fear of injury is nothing short of liberating. I hope this is one fight you both win.

Elizabeth

The fact you have a Cat 11 cabin does not mean that a scooter will fit through the door.

when you have a scooter you need an HC cabin. the smaller travel models will not work for someone that is large. If you get one he will then be SURE he does not want a scooter period and won't get a regular one when he needs one.

buy a regular one and change to an HC cabin if you can still get one.

As to the dining room it is no problem you ride the scooter as close as it can get to the table then the staff will ride it back to a parking area and return it when you want to leave.

Here is the rub: we have booked a cat 11 aft wrap. DH would rather travel in this cabin than with me. He loves it! Not to say he does not love me, ok; it’s a toss up. I think? I believe the scooter being 19” wide would fit in this cabin. (?) The cabin has a long hallway and should not be a problem. I hope?

GeorgiaC, I was surprised how easily the travelscoot handled upgrades. At first I was afraid that if I didn't have enough speed built up before I tried the grade that I would not make it. This was not the case. It handles upgrades very well. The handbrakes also do well on down grades but I haven't tried a really steep one. Since I am so tall I was very pleased that the seat has inserts that can be used to raise it which is much better for me as I have trouble standing. It does fold up amazingly quickly. We bought two of the lithium batteries so if needed I could trade one out and keep on going if we were on a long excursion. This has not been necessary yet.

Hei1980

Depending on your situation - please remember that

Medicare covers the cost of a scooter and/or wheelchair

(believe it is 80%). If you have secondary coverage,

that will cover the remainder of the cost.

Hei1980

Medicare (CMS) has very strict requirements that must be met in order to qualify for reimbursment . Medicare does not reimburse for a Travel scooters . The scooter has to be for the primary use within your residence and you must not be able to operate a manual wheelchair. Also Medicare will only cover once in a 5 year period if needed for your primary use with you residence. The following coverage criteria must all be met in order for Medicare to approve a mobility scooter. The rules change so you need to check with Medicare .

• The patient is unable to operate a manual wheelchair within his or her residence and would otherwise be confined to bed.
  • The patient is capable of safely operating the controls for the scooter.
  • The patient can transfer safely in and out of the scooter, and have adequate trunk stability for safety.
  • The patient's condition must be such that a POV is required for the patient to get around WITHIN his or her residence. A POV that is beneficial primarily in allowing the patient to perform leisure or recreational activities will be denied as a non medically necessity.

Hei1980

Medicare will not pay for a travel scooter, I have looked into it. They will only pay for a power chair for you to get around in your home if you can't walk.

There's also a modification Hardy Huber (the TravelScoot inventor) will make for taller people if it's needed. He can modify where the footrests are mounted. There's a picture of it on my blog:

http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2009/03/footrest-modification.html

I have one lithium ion battery and haven't had a need for a second one yet, but would like to get one eventually, just in case.

The only time I've needed to use the brakes has been on down grades, and then they come in really handy. Normally I just let off the throttle and my TravelScoot stops. Putting my feet down helps stop it quicker too.

Elizabeth

GeorgiaC, I was surprised how easily the travelscoot handled upgrades. At first I was afraid that if I didn't have enough speed built up before I tried the grade that I would not make it. This was not the case. It handles upgrades very well. The handbrakes also do well on down grades but I haven't tried a really steep one. Since I am so tall I was very pleased that the seat has inserts that can be used to raise it which is much better for me as I have trouble standing. It does fold up amazingly quickly. We bought two of the lithium batteries so if needed I could trade one out and keep on going if we were on a long excursion. This has not been necessary yet.

I just checked out the travelscoot site. It says quite clearly that a purchase of this is not covered by Medicare. It also doesn't look all that stable for anyone who might have balance problems, but might well serve for folks who can't walk long distances but otherwise are mobile.

Medicare will not pay for a travel scooter, I have looked into it. They will only pay for a power chair for you to get around in your home if you can't walk.

They paid for a Pride GoGo Elite for me!!!!!! It's small enough to travel with, it's been on 3 cruises now! Nancie

Archived