Dubrovnik, Croatia Will They Accept Euros?

We were in Dubrovnik earlier this month. We had a few Kuna, but we used our credit card for bigger purchases. One place they definitely will not take Euros is to pay for walking the wall. We were in one restaurant that said they would accept Euros but the change would be in Kuna.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

In Split I needed to go to the toilet and the toilet lady flatly refused to let me in as I had no currency. I offered her 5 euro note, yes I was desperate!!!!

ended up going to a cafe and buying a drink to enable me to use the ladies room.

Whatever anyone tells you, on this forum or anywhere else, it is absolutely forbidden by law for any business to accept EUROS in Cash - only Credit Cards. Period!!!!

You will need Kuna even for an ice cream!!!!

That 's simply not the case.

In many places prices are quoted in euros as well as kuna, and not just in Dubrovnik but all the way up the Dalmatian coast.

And when offered a credit card many establishments will ask whether you want to be charged in kuna or in euros (always stick to kuna)

Yes, there are some places even in tourist areas that won't accept Euros.

That includes "walking the walls" in Dubrovnik, but you can pay with credit cards. Current price is 150 kuna pp.

JB :)

All credit card transactions will be billed in Croatian Kuna, it is the legal currency of the country. Euros are quoted due to the fact it makes it easier for the majority of European guests to understand. If you pay with Euros, any change will be returned in Kuna. Keep in mind that many guests only visit a few shops and yes some will accept Euros, others will not. They will ALL accept Croatian Kuna.

All credit card transactions will be billed in Croatian Kuna, it is the legal currency of the country. Euros are quoted due to the fact it makes it easier for the majority of European guests to understand. If you pay with Euros, any change will be returned in Kuna.

Hi Dubrovnik lady,

I appreciate that you're the local, but on some things it's the visitor who knows because they see things from the visitor's perspective and are treated like visitors.

On several occasions we were asked if we want our card to be charged in euros.

Which was pretty stupid because the currency of our card is GBP :rolleyes:. LBut of course they wouldn't ask if they weren't able to do it.

JB :)

Those who are asking you are not aware of how a credit card is charged. During high season we have a very large group of workers here from other countries. Many of these countries use the Euro, but I guarantee any charge charged in Croatia, the bill will be in Croatian Kuna.

Do keep in mind that I have been a visitor to Croatia since 1971, only became a resident 9 years ago. Although I have lived here for so many years, the locals still consider me the American visitor. It does not matter how long I live here, I will always be the American visitor. Yes I do see the coin from both sides.

Last week we stopped in Zadar, Dubrovnik and Split on our cruise. For shopping and dining we used credit cards. For everything else we went to an ATM and got Kuna. Our local tour guide would only take cash (Kuna). For local street vendors, gelato stands, etc we had to use Kuna. Euro's were not generally accepted by the locals.

• 1 year later...
Last week we stopped in Zadar, Dubrovnik and Split on our cruise. For shopping and dining we used credit cards. For everything else we went to an ATM and got Kuna. Our local tour guide would only take cash (Kuna). For local street vendors, gelato stands, etc we had to use Kuna. Euro's were not generally accepted by the locals.

Hello there,

Are ATM's fairly easy to find in Split? Or do you think it is wise to try and exchange dollars for Kunas here in the States before we leave? If you wouldn't mind speculating, how many Kuna would be advisable to have for a day in Split? I have already booked a tour and paid online for that, but would like to tip and also get to a beach and maybe buy lunch and drinks, etc; Thanks for sharing your experience on this thread!

We will be in Dubrovnik in May. Will the local merchants accept Euros? Yes, I understand that if you want to "Walk the Wall" you will need Kuna. Yes, we will use our credit cards for large purchases. This is the only port that the local currency is in question. Euros for all others. Appreciate Folks experience in Dubrovnik. Thanks:)

Just came back from a trip last week. NO EUROS but easy to use ATM's