Plitvice Lakes Croatia

Hi, I am going on an Adriatic Cruise in a few weeks time and it is stopping at Split and Dubrovnick but I was saddened when I search not to see any of their tours going to Plitvice Lakes, which from the pictures I have seen looks one of the most beautiful natural things I have seen.

I read online that you can get there from Zagreb that has a regular bus that takes 2 hours to get there. Then I looked on google maps and to me it seems just as close to Split as Zagreb. Is there a reason the cruise companies don't organise day tours there or is it just too far??

We have been to both Split and Dubrovnik a number of times over the years (on more than one cruiseline) and never seen it offered as a shorex from either port.

We could have done it as a shorex from Zadar when we docked there and I think it was around 7 or 8 hours total, but that is much further north from Split so my guess is that it is too far. Dubrovnik is even further.

You could try looking online to see if any day excursions are offered by operators in or around Split, because if so, they will give approx durations.

thanks guys that confirms it to me that it is too far for a cruise day exscursion. There is a day tour to Krka national park from Split but to me it looks like you spend the entire day at the falls just to swim and I think that would be a bit boring for a whole day so I am doing a day tour so I booked a day tour to Omis and Cetina River which sounds beautiful as well.

There is a day tour to Krka national park from Split but to me it looks like you spend the entire day at the falls just to swim .

Yes, you're right.

A pleasant but short little boat ride to the falls, but with due respect the falls are far from spectacular.

Krka is a good place for locals to take the family and a picnic, swim in the lake, mebbe take a hike.

But it's not a worthwhile tourist spot, especially with an hour-long bus ride e/w.

JB :)