Cabins in Spirit?

Hi, I took the advice and am now about to book for Aegean Gems for 15/4/15.

I am just wondering if anyone has any comments about decks and cabins? We usually have an outside cabin. I seem to remember reading that there is some vibration noise at the front of the ship. As deck 3 seems to have its cabins mostly at the front we have considered going for deck 4 and choosing a cabin.

Has anyone done this before? Is it worth choosing a cabin? It also looks as if there are only portholes. Is this true?...not that it makes any difference...I just have a bit of a thing about seeing a smidge of daylight! Have usually booked with TA but it cheaper on line. TA has matched it before(more or less). Has anyone experience of online booking?

Sorry lots of questions but you have all been so helpful before.

Many thanks :)

Hi maisie may,

the cabins on Spirit are generally very nice and spacious; quite a few have been reviewed in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803243

if you click on the link in the first post you can see the database- just select Spirit as the ship.

We have booked online with Thomsons several times, not had any problems as long as you know exactly what you want before you book. If you've got questions, maybe a travel agent would suit you better.

It's up to you whether to choose a specific cabin- we think it's worth it but I'm sure others would disagree!

It's a lovely ship- my favourite of all the ones I've been on. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

kate

We had 668 on deck two - a good size and very quiet. I would recommend booking a cabin as the ones at the back are VERY noisy. You can book on line, but you will have to phone up to book the cabin! Yes they are mostly portholes.

This is a direct link to the cabin reviews

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Au6zqUvj8cFCdHBHUm1kU2VneUFBeFVWOUZCMU5KZ0E&type=view&gid=0&f=true&colid0=2&filterstr0=Thomson%20Spirit&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

The vibration on Spirit is towards the back, so that's the area to avoid... especially towards the back of decks 1, 2 & 3.

If you're looking for a Deck 3/4 outside grade of cabin, they are indeed mostly portholes, but some of the cabins on deck 4 (near reception) had a slightly larger 'picture window' as they call it.

Also - there are actually a handful of cabins up on Decks 7 & 8 which are charged at the 'Deck 3/4 outside' price - these have the picture windows too... you can spot them on the deck plan in a different colour. Cabins 064 & 067 on deck 8 are good and have a good view, though they have L shaped bed configuration and are right next to the lifts.

So yes I'd suggest it's good to book a specific cabin to ensure you don't get allocated one at the back.... also Spirit has a mix of L shaped beds, or side by side (plus a few doubles)... so again another reason to book a particular cabin if you want a particular kind of bed.

The vibration on Spirit is towards the back, so that's the area to avoid... especially towards the back of decks 1, 2 & 3.

The noisy areas are towards the back, especially towards the back of decks 1, 2 & 3. The vibration can occur anywhere.

We particularly noticed it in Horizons (Deck 9 forward), Broadway Mezzanine (Deck 6 midships) and MDR (Deck 4 midships). You get used to it though.

The noisy areas are towards the back, especially towards the back of decks 1, 2 & 3. The vibration can occur anywhere.

We particularly noticed it in Horizons (Deck 9 forward), Broadway Mezzanine (Deck 6 midships) and MDR (Deck 4 midships). You get used to it though.

The famous 'vibration' on spirit and Celebration is not like a vibration at all, more like a complex oscillation or 'wobble'. Like being gently shaken but not in a regular way.

It is caused by the electrical generator in the engine room, apparently a large, slow revving engine which is there because, after fitting twin engines and screws to what what originally a single screw container ship hull, there was little room left.

It could be fixed but would cost more than the value of the ship.

I did not find it a problem at all, after a day or so you don't notice it.

Urban legend. On a red sea cruise we had engine failure, the wobble stopped, everyone noticed, except the resident drunk (not me) who could not understand why his whisky glass was wobbling ;)

ps - avoid cabins at the rear of the ship, especially the single cabin ghetto.

Edited by davecttr

a good guide is (decks 1,2,3,4) any cabin forward of the back lifts but not too far in front of the front lift, behind the back lifts the main engine room extends up to deck 4 so the cabins there surround it,some cabins too far forward of the front lift can be effected by bow thruster noise and deck machinery noise when docking or leaving port