How Will You Find a Deal in 2010, the Year of the Non-Deal?

Dan Askin

Let's face it: cruise fares are on the rise. With the economy showing signs of buoyancy -- and lines publicly announcing price hikes -- it seems as if the incredible deals of 2009 are behind us. But, while the days of $25-per-night cruises may be gone for now, savvy cruise shoppers can still find bargain fares … if they're persistent and willing to try a blend of unorthodox and pragmatic methods.

Check out our tips to help you become a cruise deal tiger waiting in the weeds ... and let us know your best techniques for getting a deal this year.

2010 year of non-deals in cruising?

Come September, I am sailing on the Celebrity Solstice in a Aqua Class stateroom with double size balcony for less money than ANY balcony I have ever had. The deals are out there!!!

Air fares to cruise ports are still low too, if you look around.

How to find the best rates:

Find a TA that has group space. There are some that have balcony space when the cruise line shows sold out, others are as much as $300 a person LESS than the cruise line for the exact same space.

Sail the Solstice this summer. It is THE best kept secret in the Caribbean and this FIVE STAR cruise is pricing LESS than Carnival Dream on same sailing dates.

The reporter

DCL has 10 and 11 day Med cruises for $999 pp. I was able to combine it with kids sail free and so paid $999 for two people. Total cruise fare was $1998 for FOUR people. That's the best deal I've ever had. Other people who booked a month before me got the same price, PLUS onboard credit of $100 pp. My cost is about $45 pp per day. The deals are out there, they're just not as across the board as last year.

With all respect, if they sell cruises for $25 per night, what can they provide? Is that a cruise we're going to enjoy? If we are willing to pay so little isn't it so little that we will experience?

Just thinking........

I honestly believe that some of the best deals for 2010 were to be had last year. Not to say that 2010 does not have some favorable pricing, but the deals of yesterday are certainly gone. This is one time (well 3x since we have 3 cruises booked this year) that we are very glad that we booked early, while the prices were dirt cheap in some cases. With that said, the possibility still exists to find a great last minute bargain.

We have 2 cruises booked for this year and 1 for next year and don't find the prices any higher than our cruises for the past five years. We always book early- a year before. When you consider the cost of hotel rooms these days- a cruise is still a good bargain.:)

I think there are still good deals out there. They just are not advertising them as much and you have to look harder. Off season is still off season and if you can be flexable with your dates you can still make out.

Where do you "look" when you look harder for the deals? :)

Our target price for a balcony has always been under $100 per person per day. The lowest we have ever gotten was $44.40. We book as far in advance as possible and constantly monitor for price reductions. If we get within 90 days of sailing (or whenever final deposit is required) if the price is still too high we cancel the trip.

Used to be the best prices came at the last minute but in the past year the best strategy for us has been to book far in advance.

Enjoy the Maasdam, Davidson Duo - it is a lovely ship - the HAL upgrade fairy visited us as well, we booked an HH guarantee and ended up with a C cabin, mid-ship, on the promenade deck! VERY nice.

Does your name refer to Harley Davidson? If so we have a Dyna Glide HD as well. :)

We ended up with a great deal - 5 of us, balcony and oceanview cabins on the Crown Princess for around $77/person per night - with the cabin credit in the mix, the nightly rate ends up at $68 - spring break cruise, booked 4 weeks in advance.

This cruise is $800 cheaper than we paid for 7 nights on the Carnival Liberty at the same time last year, which was $1k cheaper than the 7 night Ruby Princess we had originally booked.

I am confused and hope someone can help me out. I just read the article on 11Tips for Finding a Cruise and then the follow up article Past Passenger Programs. Since I previously traveled on Carnival and now am scheduled for a cruise on Princess, I decided to check with my TA to see if the discount the World's Leading Cruise Lines (including Carnival and Princess) provide to past passengers would be available to me (the Vacation Interchange Program).

My agent just responded and indicated that there used to be such a program but it has been canceled. Is this correct (I am also going to send an email to Princess to get a response from them).

Please let me know if you are aware whether the program is still in place or not.

A little OT but you hear the economy is getting better but read in the papers how cities are closing schools ,cancelling sports and music programs,and firing teachers.Does that sound like the economy is getting better?Not to me.

Laura

I am confused and hope someone can help me out. I just read the article on 11Tips for Finding a Cruise and then the follow up article Past Passenger Programs. Since I previously traveled on Carnival and now am scheduled for a cruise on Princess, I decided to check with my TA to see if the discount the World's Leading Cruise Lines (including Carnival and Princess) provide to past passengers would be available to me (the Vacation Interchange Program).

My agent just responded and indicated that there used to be such a program but it has been canceled. Is this correct (I am also going to send an email to Princess to get a response from them).

Please let me know if you are aware whether the program is still in place or not.

Although Princess and Carnival are both owned by Carnival Corporation, they both operate independently. As a result, you would only be considered a past pax on Princess if you previously sailed Princess. Having sailed Carnival already, you would be eligible for past pax benefits or discounts only on Carnival. However, if you are a stockholder, you are eligible to receive OBC on ANY of the Carnival Corporation lines (including HAL, Princess, Costa, etc.) when owning a minimum of 100 shares of CCL stock. This OBC can be as much as $250 based on the number of days for each voyage .

I am not familiar with the Vacation Interchange Program.

Does your name refer to Harley Davidson? If so we have a Dyna Glide HD as well. :)

LOL!:D No, it is our last name. But our oldest son has a Harley (much to his wife's chagrin!) as does my husband's youngest brother. They felt if they had the last name, they might as well have the bike to go with it! :)

No deals??? I'm not so sure...I am booked with RCL in October and the balcony room on our cruise was 449/pp...no too bad. If you're willing to travel during an 'off' time of year you should be able to find something...

Let's face it: cruise fares are on the rise. With the economy showing signs of buoyancy -- and lines publicly announcing price hikes -- it seems as if the incredible deals of 2009 are behind us. But, while the days of $25-per-night cruises may be gone for now, savvy cruise shoppers can still find bargain fares … if they're persistent and willing to try a blend of unorthodox and pragmatic methods.

Check out our tips to help you become a cruise deal tiger waiting in the weeds ... and let us know your best techniques for getting a deal this year.

Hi Dan,

I believe I got a great deal on the Carnival Splendor going to Mexico in late August (about $534 per person including taxes in an inside room) - thought that was pretty good at about $76 per day! As all have mentioned, the deals are still out there - just gotta find out where which I did! LOL

Archived