Taking "Snacks" off ship

RMLLEL

Sometimes we don't have time for breakfast if we have an early excursion. It is my understanding that in New Zealand you can't take any food off the ship if it isn't wrapped. Is it the same in Australia? On a Med. Cruise, we took cookies off to munch on in the morning. Is it possible to do this in Australia? I know I won't starve...just wondering.

Thanks.

When we sailed around Australia last September, they were very strict prohibiting carrying off food. In many ports, there were people inspecting everyones bag. If they found prohibited items, the person was fined.

Sometimes we don't have time for breakfast if we have an early excursion. It is my understanding that in New Zealand you can't take any food off the ship if it isn't wrapped. Is it the same in Australia? On a Med. Cruise, we took cookies off to munch on in the morning. Is it possible to do this in Australia? I know I won't starve...just wondering.

Thanks.

No, don't do it. Australia and NZ are both very strict about foodstuffs.

It doesn't matter if it is wrapped or not - you can't take food off the ship.

During our cruise around New Zealand, an announcement was made each morning before anyone left the ship, that food products are banned from being taken ashore.

But some people ignored the message and had food and fruit items removed by the officials searching their bags.

In Auckland a dog was on duty checking all bags that people were taking ashore.

So, please do not bring any food off the ship ashore.

Thanks.

Both countries are very (and I mean very) strict about this.

In many of the ports dogs were either brought onto the ship to sniff passengers as they were getting off the ship or were at the security area on the pier.

If you wish to take something off we were told you needed to ask permission.

I just wouldn't do it and I would just buy something in port if you need a snack.

Of course you are permitted to bring water off the ship.

Keith

Aussie and NZ quarantine laws are very strict (and I for one am glad they are). Friends last year had the dog sit down in front of them, much to their embarrassment....turned out they had eaten an orange onboard the flight just beforehand...our dogs have a very keen sense of smell. As said, the penalties are stiff.....if you cross 'no' to food on the card, and you have food, then you will get this fine, no questions asked.

The dog sat beside me one day in Christchurch Airport, when we returned from a trip to Melbourne.

I'd had a banana in my bag two days earlier, the dog picked up the scent.

These dogs are very clever.

The dog sat beside me one day in Christchurch Airport, when we returned from a trip to Melbourne.

I'd had a banana in my bag two days earlier, the dog picked up the scent.

These dogs are very clever.

Yes, those dogs are good. Coming in to NZ by air, I had a packet of tea bags in my carry-on bag. It was an unopened packet, sealed in cellophane, and inside a very thick bag. The dog sniffed and detected it straight away. Fortunately, I had declared it, and had already told the dog handler that I had the tea. Since the packet was unopened and was of a generic type that is allowed, I was permitted to keep it. If I had not declared the tea, I would have been fined.

That's the main thing really, declare whatever you're bringing in. If you're trying to bring in a bunch of bananas, declare them. They'll get confiscated of course...but since you declared them, there'll be no fine. But if you try to bring some sealed chips in and DON'T declare...you'll probably be allowed to bring them in, but may get a big fine for not declaring.

And anything that is edible is food. So that sucker/lolly you left in your bag/purse for your kids...that's food, declare it.

If I wanted to take a snack into port, I might try bringing some unopened boxes of cereal they have at the buffet. I'd be sure to declare it though, and if for some reason it wasn't allowed to be brought in...then they'd confiscate it and send me on my way.

That's the main thing really, declare whatever you're bringing in. If you're trying to bring in a bunch of bananas, declare them. They'll get confiscated of course...but since you declared them, there'll be no fine. But if you try to bring some sealed chips in and DON'T declare...you'll probably be allowed to bring them in, but may get a big fine for not declaring.

And anything that is edible is food. So that sucker/lolly you left in your bag/purse for your kids...that's food, declare it.

If I wanted to take a snack into port, I might try bringing some unopened boxes of cereal they have at the buffet. I'd be sure to declare it though, and if for some reason it wasn't allowed to be brought in...then they'd confiscate it and send me on my way.

Good thought, as long as you declare the cereal. But, make sure it doesn't have dried fruit or nuts in it - they probably won't be allowed.

The basic rule is - Declare everything that is going to go into your mouth. Don't bother trying to bring in fruit, even if you do declare it - fresh fruit will never be allowed.

We also had a dog identify our bag in Perth airport. It had had a banana in it a couple of days earlier.

But if you are flying into Australia, you need not discard sealed packets of food; just show them.

We had Italian relatives coming over and they thought it would be good to bring bulbs, for the garden, of all things. We had given them clear instructions not to even consider it. When they emerged at Sydney airport in the company of a custom's officer, my brother-in-law was highly relieved that they had merely lost all their luggage somewhere! (the cousins were not so thrilled!)

As diabetics, we always carry food (sealed, pre-packaged granola type bars) when we go on excursions. We normally buy these at the embarkation port...

In a few months we will be heading to AU for a land tour than cruise. Will these be a problem with customs (we will declare them, of course)?

We plan on bringing our own box of tea and instant coffee from home (thanks for the heads up on declaring it when we arrive!). We always do this whereever we travel...

As diabetics, we always carry food (sealed, pre-packaged granola type bars) when we go on excursions. We normally buy these at the embarkation port...

In a few months we will be heading to AU for a land tour than cruise. Will these be a problem with customs (we will declare them, of course)?

Should not be a problem provided they are in original packaging and declared.

We plan on bringing our own box of tea and instant coffee from home (thanks for the heads up on declaring it when we arrive!). We always do this whereever we travel...

The tea and coffee must also be in its original sealed packaging - not loose and fully declared.

they will still be sealed from the store....

I always forget to declare the alcohol I am bring back as a plant product...customs catches me everytime (never a fine..just a red circle :) )...except for the last time when I finally did remember!

There is a vast range of snacks (including foreign brands) available in shops and supermarkets. Yes, we have them too! I've never understood why visitors feel the need to bring in any food or drink at all.

There is a vast range of snacks (including foreign brands) available in shops and supermarkets. Yes, we have them too! I've never understood why visitors feel the need to bring in any food or drink at all.

Yes I know you have food :rolleyes: but on a long tour with few chances to 'shop', we prefer to carry a couple of granola bars...have to take those with us...

Yes I know you have food :rolleyes: but on a long tour with few chances to 'shop', we prefer to carry a couple of granola bars...have to take those with us...

I understand your dilema - if you need a specific product as you do when on an excursion you cannot count on finding it when along the way. Be sure to declare that you have them on your incoming custome form AND carry them in your hand baggage for ease of inspection by the quarrantine officials. If by some mischance they are confiscated it will be without penalty since you did declare them. There will be the exra delay of going through the "something to declare" line. You may find a suitable substitute (if you need it) in larger supermarkets. Without knowing where you are flying in, it is hard to advise on the closest likely source in an emergency. Cheers Colleen

One of the assumptions I made, and it may be incorrect, is that you're not allowed to bring food in ANY port. So what if you do stock up in Sydney at one of the many great supermarkets, and want to take that food with you into Cairns (yes, Cairns has Woolworths and Coles, but I don't think they're right on the pier where you'd catch the GBR excursion and be on a catamaran for 1.5-2 hours)?

Would customs be at every port, and if so would they be a bit more lenient with food that you're trying to bring into Australia that was purchased in Australia (i.e. maybe food with nuts is a no-no, but a SEALED bag of nuts purchased at Coles would be a-ok)?

One of the assumptions I made, and it may be incorrect, is that you're not allowed to bring food in ANY port. So what if you do stock up in Sydney at one of the many great supermarkets, and want to take that food with you into Cairns (yes, Cairns has Woolworths and Coles, but I don't think they're right on the pier where you'd catch the GBR excursion and be on a catamaran for 1.5-2 hours)?

Would customs be at every port, and if so would they be a bit more lenient with food that you're trying to bring into Australia that was purchased in Australia (i.e. maybe food with nuts is a no-no, but a SEALED bag of nuts purchased at Coles would be a-ok)?

Yes, they'll check at every port and the basic rule is that you are not allowed to bring any foodstuff off the ship.

The important thing is to "tell and show" - make sure that the food is still in its original, unopened, packaging, tell the officials that you have the food, show a receipt for where you bought it, if possible. While you may be allowed to carry off food for medical purposes (emergency supply for a diabetic for example - although nuts would not be a first choice here), but I doubt that you would be allowed to bring off something "just because." That decision would be made by the officials on a case-by-case basis, on the day.

Archived