Positives anyone?

Just booked a week on the Thomson Majesty in February. Looking forward to it but have read some recent grim reviews of the ship! :confused: can anyone offer anything to counter these and make us feel slightly more confident in our upcoming cruise?? :)

Just booked a week on the Thomson Majesty in February. Looking forward to it but have read some recent grim reviews of the ship! :confused: can anyone offer anything to counter these and make us feel slightly more confident in our upcoming cruise?? :)

We have been on the Majesty twice and booked again for June. We really like the ship. Make sure you book a plus cabin as the standard ones are very small, with only one wardrobe :eek:

I think there was blip over Christmas, with new staff coming on the ship, but reviews of people coming back since have been much better.

Everyone likes different ships, but go with an open mind and I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we do.

We sailed on the ship just before Christmas and had a great cruise. Entertainment was fantastic, we found the food fine, had the nicest cabin stewards we've ever had on a Thomson cruise (done 16 now) and really wouldn't hesitate to return. I realise judging by reports that some people had problems over the festive season, but think it was just a blip and we didn't really have any problems, other than finding the aircon was too cold in the cabin

We have been on Majesty twice and agree with everything said above. We had no problems on her at all. The new buffet restaurant is a great improvement/addition. The entertainment was also very good when we were on in the summer.

Edited by Sheila49

Thanks folks! Just what we needed to hear. We had been on a Thomson ship before, the Spirit on a wonderful fjord cruise but just wondered if the Majesty was the slightly dated and tired black sheep of the Thomson family! Glad to hear otherwise.

I think it has all been said. Majesty is actually younger, bigger and more "open" than Spirit. The staff on both were very helpful and friendly. I think Majesty had the edge on MDR food but of course this is subjective and can also change from one season to another. I preferred Spirit's buffet restaurant but there is a new one on Majesty now. However, I cannot comment as I have not been on since it was established. Just go and enjoy it. :)

Edited by Jakanne1

Thanks folks! Just what we needed to hear. We had been on a Thomson ship before, the Spirit on a wonderful fjord cruise but just wondered if the Majesty was the slightly dated and tired black sheep of the Thomson family! Glad to hear otherwise.
No that's the Dream :D, lol. Sorry Dream fans :o

We went on Spirit and Majesty last year and loved them both :)

Hi all, we have booked to go on Thomson dream and really wishing I had read the reviews first!! This will be our first cruise and hoping it's not as bad as the reviews make out.

Hi welcome to the forum. :) Look forward to your cruise - it's your first and I feel sure you will be blown away by the experience and excitement. You will have a comfortable cabin, excellent entertainment, good company, friendly crew and visit some great places. It's like a floating hotel with somewhere new to explore each day. What's not to enjoy?

Dream had some poor reviews following the Transatlantic just before Christmas when Thomson were carrying out some work on board which caused noise disturbance and issues with water supply. This really wasn't on as it did spoil some passengers' holiday. However, that work has now been completed so shouldn't be a problem for you.

Dream is actually our favourite Thomson ship; we prefer the design - the theatre and pool deck are far superior to all the others imo (although we have a soft spot for Celebration and Spirit too) and the dining room is more spacious although I don't know what the impact will be on space in the main dining room after creating another speciality restaurant area there.

Remember much of our discussions on here centre on personal opinions/experiences when comparing the different ships. And different things appeal to different people - that doesn't mean that the one each of us likes least is necessarily bad - it's just that we like some things about one ship more than another. Given a good deal and great itinerary I guess most of us would travel on any of the ships!

Look forward to your cruise, research your destinations to make best use of your time, ask for info and advice on here if you want it (lots of helpful folks on here) and above all enjoy the anticipation of your cruise and have a great time! :)

We have done the Dream and Majesty with Thomson and the only way I can decide between them is by the itinerary. We love them both although I too prefer the layout of the Dream. I'm sure you will enjoy the Dream, mammasam, none of us would ever go on a cruise if we paid too much attention to reviews!:)

Hi welcome to the forum. :) Look forward to your cruise - it's your first and I feel sure you will be blown away by the experience and excitement. You will have a comfortable cabin, excellent entertainment, good company, friendly crew and visit some great places. It's like a floating hotel with somewhere new to explore each day. What's not to enjoy?

Dream had some poor reviews following the Transatlantic just before Christmas when Thomson were carrying out some work on board which caused noise disturbance and issues with water supply. This really wasn't on as it did spoil some passengers' holiday. However, that work has now been completed so shouldn't be a problem for you.

Dream is actually our favourite Thomson ship; we prefer the design - the theatre and pool deck are far superior to all the others imo (although we have a soft spot for Celebration and Spirit too) and the dining room is more spacious although I don't know what the impact will be on space in the main dining room after creating another speciality restaurant area there.

Remember much of our discussions on here centre on personal opinions/experiences when comparing the different ships. And different things appeal to different people - that doesn't mean that the one each of us likes least is necessarily bad - it's just that we like some things about one ship more than another. Given a good deal and great itinerary I guess most of us would travel on any of the ships!

Look forward to your cruise, research your destinations to make best use of your time, ask for info and advice on here if you want it (lots of helpful folks on here) and above all enjoy the anticipation of your cruise and have a great time! :)

Great post, Kruzseeka :)

yes great post kruz...i'm with you on dream.... i would class it as the white sheep :confused:;) ...of the thoms family :)

imo, thoms are trying their best with dream, they have virtually rebuilt it over the years from the lemon that it was when they took it on from costa... over time it has had several refubs/dry docks and a recent mini refurb, yes the works overan (v inconvenient for those on board, but, it does look like thoms have made some attempt at recompense for those that were affected) i do think dream is looking good as a result ...thoms are listening to what their passengers want and trying to achieve some of those things

I also think/hope that the new hotel agency will herald further improvements in the food/service? and to my eye over christmas it has, imo service & food have improved from last year ...time will tell on what others think?

most of dreams poor reviews so far this winter, have stemmed from missed ports and poor weather (not their fault) and the maintenance problems? yes they have had to do work while people are on board and yes they cut off the water and a/c for a few hours every 2 weeks (for maintenance) that shows (to me anyway) that they are putting the smooth running/operation of the ship at a very high priority imo that is not necessarily a bad thing? with thoms we can be assured that our safety is paramount (even at the expense of passenger comfort for a few hours) I can and do, trust thoms to look after me (and my family) and to not take even the slightest risk with our safety

you only have to look at some of the reviews for some of the other lines bigger/newer ships last year? ... breakdowns, ships having to be towed, ships with no hot water/hot food/toilets, this happens on ships, at least thoms do appear to be ensuring that their ships can sail reliably and safely and that passengers will be as comfortable as possible...... in order to do that their ships (older ships) will require regular ongoing maintenance works

i am always surprised by some of the reviews on the entertainment? celebration often gets rave reviews on entertainment but the dreams entertainment offering often gets a poor review? how can that be? the bands/showteam/cd/captains etc regularly switch from celebration to dream ...its the same entertainment format? likewise for hotel staff/bar service/prices/food service/cabin service... its all the same? whether you are on dream or celebration (and broadly on maj or spirit too) and yet celebration scores consistently higher in the reviews and dream lower?

imo? the only real differences between the ships (platinum or otherwise?) is the layout of bars/restaurants and cabin size, each cruise is different? each itinerary is different, each passenger demographic is different on every cruise and people reviews will reflect that?

the reviews (good or bad) are always helpful, people take time to post their own experiences (and long may that continue) look for the strengths, be forewarned of the pitfalls and resolve to make your holiday what you would like it to be ....stay positive:cool:

(sorry for long post):o

Thanks geo :) ............... and for your excellent post too. Very thoughtful and insightful as ever.

Yes you are right about the entertainment - it's the same Company training the performers, producing the shows and determining the shows in any given season. The variables between ships are the personnel within the showteam - and I'm sure Peel are aiming for the same high and consistent standard from season to season, ship to ship. But of course there are changes and sometimes one team will work particularly well - then I suppose you are slightly disappointed next time if the next team don't seem quite so hot! But we should not forget though that even the poorest team we've ever seen on Thomson are streets ahead of any we've seen on other cruise lines imo!!!! It's all relative.

We should read and take particular note of recent reviews though as things do change. Apart from entertainment, someone's opinion on the food/service etc on any ship 2 years ago, a year ago, even three months ago doesn't mean it's the same standard currently. That's why I'm heartened to read that you judge there has been an improvement in the mdr food on Dream of late. That's what I need to hear! You knew what it was like before, experienced the deterioration last year and now report better choice and quality. That's really helpful because you are making comparisons over time based on the same expectations. I haven't commented on food quality recently on any ship as I haven't up to date information. But I keep reading others' views as it's important to me!!!

But the main features of the 'Thomson product' should be broadly consistent across the fleet - and as you point out hopefully Thomson are listening and addressing some changes which have not gone down too well in recent times. These are positive signs! ;)

Some aspects of a ship don't change though - the layout, theatre, pool deck, cabin size, and the design of the ships etc (taking into account any refurbs/developments etc) so I think comments of that nature hold good across the years.

But every cruise will be different as you say; itinerary/length/school holidays/age demographic - all I can say is that we've never had one we haven't enjoyed - on any ship! We have been lucky not to suffer any major mishaps though - I can understand those who have will have a different opinion!

Anyway as you say..........keep the reviews rolling in. We may not agree, have to read between the lines from time to time, allow for the variations which are bound to occur from season to season, accept that different people will like different ships and take from it what we can to help our decision making. I'd like to add my thanks to those who take the time to post reviews too - it's extremely helpful and informative. :)

We were on Majesty for New Year and while it wasn't perfect it was Ok.

The ship in general is kept clean, food was mainly OK, the worse thing was the service in the Restaurant and if that is the worst then it's not a disaster.

I would go back tomorrow for the right Itinerary at the right price.

As I have said elsewhere the one thing that did concern us was security, not scanned once on returning to the ship and could have carried anything onboard. Does no-one else find that odd?

We were on Majesty for New Year and while it wasn't perfect it was Ok.

The ship in general is kept clean, food was mainly OK, the worse thing was the service in the Restaurant and if that is the worst then it's not a disaster.

I would go back tomorrow for the right Itinerary at the right price.

As I have said elsewhere the one thing that did concern us was security, not scanned once on returning to the ship and could have carried anything onboard. Does no-one else find that odd?

I agree Somerset Cruiser - that is a security concern. I feel sure that we have had our hand luggage screened sometimes on Thomson when we return to the ship. The only thing I can think of is if you have already had to go through a security scan in the port (for example I know you always have to at Piraeus) they may not do it again as you board. But it would be better I think to play on the side of being extra cautious and do it again!

you are not scanned when entering most resorts/hotels in europe (in fact anyone can walk in off the street)

there is always security at every port only crew, port staff, some licenced taxi drivers & passengers can get in

sometimes it is not even possible to get near another ship without the right ship card (we were turned back in Istanbul when we walked up the dock towards the celebrity ship parked in front off us)

not at all but at certain 'identified' ports they will also scan bags at the gangway

returning passengers bags are scanned in the terminal in montego bay and in cuba (in fact in cuba your bags were scanned on leaving the ship too and you are subject to a compulsory ebola check)

returning passengers bags were scanned on the gangway every time in mexico/honduras etc

I agree Somerset Cruiser - that is a security concern. I feel sure that we have had our hand luggage screened sometimes on Thomson when we return to the ship. The only thing I can think of is if you have already had to go through a security scan in the port (for example I know you always have to at Piraeus) they may not do it again as you board. But it would be better I think to play on the side of being extra cautious and do it again!

Not scanned in the Ports either.

Such lovely comments have been posted.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how you get on.

Cruising is a lovely vacation, and you will want to get back for more

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is having a tipple at lunchtime. Some wont agree, but its nice to enjoy a few glasses with a ham sandwich. Isnt it ?

Oh sorry if I have ruffled any feathers :o:o

I agree that you should not take notice of old reviews, so I will shut up about the Dream :D if others will do the same about their least favourite ships :rolleyes:

Not me then, Linda. I don't comment any more about the Maj for that reason......oops, is that a comment? ;) :D

Oh sorry if I have ruffled any Feathers :o:o

I agree that you should not take notice of old reviews, so I will shut up about the Dream :D if others will do the same about their least favourite ships :rolleyes:

Feathers? Ruffled? Definitely not me - more likely to have a smile. ;):)

No, to the contrary, I think everyone should express their opinions freely - I have my preferences as does everyone else and that's not a problem to me at all and in fact I think we need to hear the good and the bad otherwise what's the point of reviews.

But I was just concerned that a first time cruiser and new poster seemed worried about recent reviews relating to an issue which is already resolved eg the refurbishment work recently on Dream. That was a passing issue (not minimising it's impact on passengers though) and it's not a problem now so it would be a shame if she was unnecessarily concerned and it spoilt her anticipation of her first ever cruise.

We regulars are all well versed in the Thomson product and the forum and from experience know what's an issue for us personally, what might be an on-going problem and what could just as easily be better or worse three months down the line. But that might not be so obvious to new cruisers. I was simply trying to put her mind at rest by pointing out the differences.