Red Hook BnB - which airport is best?

Canuckjammer

I've booked a BnB in Red Hook for 4 nights before cruise and trying to decipher between which airport to fly into from Vancouver. Choice is daytime direct flight to EWR arrive 1700 or overnight via Toronto arriving LGA 1030. Which will have easier & cheaper transportation options to Red Hook?

Easy travel to Red Hook from both airports. LGA is probably cheaper. No toll roads or bridges with tolls. Arriving at 1700 will put you in rush hour traffic, 10:30 is off peak. Check the port section for some tips on car service, taxis and Uber. Happy Sails.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is public transit an option? Can you manage your luggage? It would cost you $11.25 for the accessible trip from EWR by train and PATH to the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan. Options from there would be cab or Uber to Red Hook or NYC subway. By the time you get to Manhattan, rush hour would be subsiding.

Where exactly in Red Hook is your B&B? What subway station is it close to? Why are you staying 4 days in Red Hook?

Red Hook is near the Brooklyn cruise terminal and an improving area. The flight to LGA seems best. Since you have four days pre-cruise it is important that the B&B be near a subway to allow you to do the tourist things during your stay.

Red Hook is near the Brooklyn cruise terminal and an improving area. The flight to LGA seems best. Since you have four days pre-cruise it is important that the B&B be near a subway to allow you to do the tourist things during your stay.

I agree that the OP needs to be near a subway. Normally I would recommend LGA plus a car service, but the OP is a solo traveler and might be on a tighter budget.

The Newark flight is direct during the day. The LGA flight is a red eye through Toronto. Having just flown Boston to Toronto to Vancouver in May (12+ hours), I would seriously consider doing the direct flight if public transit is an option.

There is no subway in Red Hook, bus and Ferry service only. The closest subway stop would be Smith and 9th Streets on the F and G lines and the G does not go into Manhattan (Brooklyn/Queens Crosstown service).

You could take a city bus B61 to the above subway or stay on another stop to the 4th Ave R which will go up Broadway in Manhattan. Same bus the other way terminates in downtown Brooklyn for more subway transfer options.

General thoughts: OP's either flight would clear US immigration/custom before departure - advantage for LGA if s/he is traveling light & can manage luggage (25" rollerboard are fine on the E or F, R, #7 and similar subway lines that connect from Q70-SBS bus service at the terminal for $2.75 one-way with free transfer (plus $1 for the MetroCard) ... assumed that it's walking distance from nearest subway stop in Red Hook area ... which is most likely a local stop on the "F" line. It's possible that the BnB is closer to the "R" line - sometimes, the advertised location can be "stretched" by the host.

BnB traveler doing solo - likely frugal so I'm guessing already did some homework before booking the place of stay. EWR's public transit routing can be a bit overwhelming ... might as well, IMHO, take the Airporter bus into Manhattan first ($16 one-way ?) and then do the subway (will need to buy a Metro Card for 4 ways of sightseeing regardless)

Uber or Lyft share-a-ride would be a lower cost option, if available ... sometimes saving as much as 50%, as long as congestion pricing doesn't kick in, etc. (P.S. did a quick lookup, some of the BnB listing suggesting it's close to the Fairway Supermarket near the waterfront and one being near the Smith-9th Street subway line ... it could be an easy & quick walk or a long one ... call or use a local car service, especially if arriving in the evening - please check with the BnB host)

Edited by mking8288

Do you have exact address of the property? This can help figure out your transportation needs. Also we can confirm that this is a good location meaning safe and convenient for a solo traveler. NYC is tricky as far as neighborhoods. You can have a gem of a neighborhood literally a block away from a place where you'd be stabbed just because you're there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:)Wow, Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll do the connecting overnight flight to LGA. That also gets me to NY in time to make use of arrival day as well. Then I'll do the direct flight home from EWR after cruise. I'll book the Princess tour of NY with drop off at EWR. That also makes good use of last day in NY. Even taking earlier connecting flights home doesn't get me back to Vancouver earlier than 2130.

I choose the BnB in Red Hook for several reasons. It's very close to cruise terminal, has tons of great, positive reviews and $65Cdn X 4 nights nights is much better than Manhattan hotel prices. I'm planning to use the new ferry into Manhattan more than subway and plan to use the blue bicycles along waterfront areas. Will walk across Brooklyn bridge at least once. Get up to a Yankees game 1 evening.

I need to get a route map & schedule for that B61 bus!

Thanks again for all the responses!

:)Wow, Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll do the connecting overnight flight to LGA. That also gets me to NY in time to make use of arrival day as well. Then I'll do the direct flight home from EWR after cruise. I'll book the Princess tour of NY with drop off at EWR. That also makes good use of last day in NY. Even taking earlier connecting flights home doesn't get me back to Vancouver earlier than 2130.

I choose the BnB in Red Hook for several reasons. It's very close to cruise terminal, has tons of great, positive reviews and $65Cdn X 4 nights nights is much better than Manhattan hotel prices. I'm planning to use the new ferry into Manhattan more than subway and plan to use the blue bicycles along waterfront areas. Will walk across Brooklyn bridge at least once. Get up to a Yankees game 1 evening.

Sounds like you have a plan!

Staying at a B&B sounds interesting. Could you post back with the name? When you get back, we'd love to hear about your experiences using the ferry for 4 days to sightsee. I really enjoyed my ferry experience in Vancouver.

Sounds like you might also enjoy the High Line - https://www.timeout.com/newyork/parks/highline

Here's the Brooklyn bus map - http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbkln.pdf

B61 schedule - http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b061cur.pdf

If the B&B is truly near the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, you should have no trouble just using the ferry to travel back & forth between Red Hook and Manhattan.

The B61 bus might be useful in some situations, but with the new ferry, you no longer have to rely on the bus-subway combination to get back & forth between RH & Manhattan. Going over to the BCT from Manhattan, I used to have to take a subway to Borough Hall (Brooklyn), then walk a couple of blocks to catch the B61 bus (and vice versa for the trip back to Manhattan). Believe me, taking the ferry is far more pleasant.

If you want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, take the Wall Street-bound ferry and get off at the DUMBO stop, which is right next to the Brooklyn end of the bridge.

Last month I took the ferry over to Red Hook just to give the trip a test run. While I was in Red Hook, I walked from the ferry slip (adjacent to the Brooklyn Terminal) to the waterfront beyond the foot of Van Brunt Street (just past the Fairway Market), a distance of about a mile. I must confess I was quite surprised at how extensively the area (or at least this section of Van Brunt Street) has been rehabilitated/ gentrified in just the past few years, with attractive restaurants, boutiques, art galleries, and so forth. Five years ago I would have been rather hesitant to suggest that anyone should stay in this area; now I would say that it looks like quite an intriguing option.

Many places that call themselves B&Bs in NYC aren't legal. At that price, I'd be VERY suspicious

Can't agree more, $51.75 US a night?? That is unheard of in NYC.

In 2002 NYC required B&B owners to pay hotel taxes and registeras small facility operators, you can't have a B&B in a multi-dwelling building (the Air B&B issue). You need to research that the B&B is registered with the City.

I'm doubly concerned about that price, your hotel taxes would be Hotel Occupancy 5.875% +$2 per day, NY State/City Sales tax of 8.875 and NY State Hotel Fee $1.50 a day.

Sounds like you have a plan!

Staying at a B&B sounds interesting. Could you post back with the name? When you get back, we'd love to hear about your experiences using the ferry for 4 days to sightsee. I really enjoyed my ferry experience in Vancouver.

Sounds like you might also enjoy the High Line - https://www.timeout.com/newyork/parks/highline

Here's the Brooklyn bus map - http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbkln.pdf

B61 schedule - http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b061cur.pdf

Thanks for the bus map & B61 schedule. I've already printed the ferry schedules!

The AirBnB is listed as Sunny, private room Red Hook. I liked the photos and reviews.

I'll post a review about Red Hook and use of ferry after trip.

If the B&B is truly near the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, you should have no trouble just using the ferry to travel back & forth between Red Hook and Manhattan.

The B61 bus might be useful in some situations, but with the new ferry, you no longer have to rely on the bus-subway combination to get back & forth between RH & Manhattan. Going over to the BCT from Manhattan, I used to have to take a subway to Borough Hall (Brooklyn), then walk a couple of blocks to catch the B61 bus (and vice versa for the trip back to Manhattan). Believe me, taking the ferry is far more pleasant.

If you want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, take the Wall Street-bound ferry and get off at the DUMBO stop, which is right next to the Brooklyn end of the bridge.

Last month I took the ferry over to Red Hook just to give the trip a test run. While I was in Red Hook, I walked from the ferry slip (adjacent to the Brooklyn Terminal) to the waterfront beyond the foot of Van Brunt Street (just past the Fairway Market), a distance of about a mile. I must confess I was quite surprised at how extensively the area (or at least this section of Van Brunt Street) has been rehabilitated/ gentrified in just the past few years, with attractive restaurants, boutiques, art galleries, and so forth. Five years ago I would have been rather hesitant to suggest that anyone should stay in this area; now I would say that it looks like quite an intriguing option.

Thanks for the info! Yes I think the ferry is a more fun & scenic way to travel around than the subway. My BnB is near Van Brunt & Wolcott.

As has been said, most airbnbs and VRBOs, etc, are illegal in NYC. If it's just a room in an apartment and the owner will be there as well (I get an ewwww feeling about that) it might not be illegal per the city, although it might violate the renter's lease.

But it won't have any of the protections of a real hotel that licensing provides, like safety, privacy, etc, etc, etc. Who knows what kind of person's couch you'll be sleeping on?

• 1 month later...

An update. I've been at this Airbnb in Red Hook for 3 nights now, cruise is tomorrow. It's literally a 5 minute walk to cruise terminal and the South Brooklyn ferry (to wall st). This has been great for me! Red Hook is an interesting area!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

An update. I've been at this Airbnb in Red Hook for 3 nights now, cruise is tomorrow. It's literally a 5 minute walk to cruise terminal and the South Brooklyn ferry (to wall st). This has been great for me! Red Hook is an interesting area!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Such great news! Thanks for reporting back.