Hurricane Irma

tiba99

I'm hoping we can skip St. Maarten for a sea day or a new port like Antigua (leaving Nov 4; grand Turk, st. Kitts; Puerto Rico and St. Maarten) rather the switching to a western. That would be very disappointing. If what I've been reading is correct St. Maarten is the only concern/damaged (beyond) port.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Forums mobile app

As others post, it may well be that 'regular' cruise ships will be able to dock within weeks but the island infrastructure is a whole different story. Dutch Red Cross and Government are reporting 90% of buildings are damaged in the Dutch sector with a third destroyed. Also that this is less damage than the French sector.

Red Cross say they anticipate need to provide emergency aid -- shelter , food and water for many families for 3 to 6 months. The next phase is rebuilding schools, hospitals and so forth. Private businesses are another matter.

Good point about ability to handle cruise ship capacity numbers ashore too. There are currently 6 cruise ships with over 17,000 passengers listed to dock on December 26th, for example. Perhaps there will be a gradual redeployment?

I hope that cruiseships skip st maarten for months not weeks. I think that they have lots of works to do to get things cleaned up and functioning. Coming back gradually will also be key.

Honestly to me 6 ships is 2 too many at any port that I have been to including St. Maarten and St. Thomas before Irma. I hope that St. Kitts, Dominica and Antigua get more ships. They need tourists to.

For those sailing NCL this is the update:

We are working with our partners to assess impacts to the ports we visit in the Eastern Caribbean. Currently, we have changed all of our Eastern Caribbean itineraries to Western‎ Caribbean cruises for the next two months. As it's still early, we will continue to keep in close contact with our partners on the ground and have the flexibility to alter future itineraries to ensure a great guest experience, if needed.

One translation: Once there are enough excursions that are safe to do, the ships will return, both for the passengers enjoyment and cruise ship revenue. Oh yeah, and to provide $$$ to the local economy - which will be the best relief aid possible to the locals. Expect more than a few island tours to stop at improvised stands where people will be selling things or asking for money, and more than a few cruise passengers wanting to tour to see the devastation.

Since the central business district's structures looked intact (even though there may be water damage) I would expect at least half the stores would be back in business within about two months. We were there back in August, and saw "The Yoda Guy's" museum - I hope that survived mainly intact as it was definitely one of the more interesting things to do in town. Hopefully there will be an update on the website (http://netdwellers.com/mo/ygme/index.html) or facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/The-Yoda-Guy-Movie-Exhibit-295303327163046/)

After looking at the following facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/SXMLATESTNEWS/) I almost feel that two months might be a bit optimistic for half the stores even in the main city of Philipsburg to be open, but that is almost necessary for a recovery to start. For general giving advice, the NY Times article (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/us/hurricane-irma-help-donate.html) should be helpful (also keep in mind that donating money is the most effective way to help right after an event). One can also look for specific fund raising done by the Netherlands or France to try to funnel money more directly to the island.

Note cruise critic rules prohibit specific organizations from soliciting funds, so I have not included any links to such efforts, like the one RCCL sent out in an email.

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
removed link

It seems like they (the island) may be aiming for mid-December possibly for . At least that is what the email I got from Capt Bob Cass at Soualiga Destinations seemed to indicate - "as long as cruise ships start coming back". It may be optimistic, and it definitely won't be the same island ever agin, but for the economy there, which will ultimately help the people, the sooner they can get things running again, the better.

Appreciate the added background items and postings. From the New York Times Travel Section in the past couple of days, they have this headline: After Irma: Caribbean Tourism, Island by Island with these highlights for this area: Most visitors arrive through the Princess Juliana International Airport in tourism-dependent Sint Maarten (on the Dutch side), which suffered severe damage. Here too, the focus is on evacuation flights. Sonesta Hotels said its resorts were damaged, and reservations from now through the end of the year have been canceled. Many hotels, including the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa, Esmeralda Resort, Belair Beach Hotel, Oyster Bay Beach Resort, Riu Palace St. Martin and Summit Resort Hotel, reported significant damage.

Any other added information and background as to the current conditions and future timing affecting this scenic and charming area?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/travel/after-irma-caribbean-tourism-island-by-island.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,936 views for these postings.

I think that the cruiselines want this port back for high season as well. Nice to see them helping out by bringing in supplies and help and taking out those that have been stranded. Its only been a week and a half and the clean up in Phillipsburg has been remarkable for an island to me.

This is awesome thank you I like everyone input! I will just go with the flow on this one maybe I am thinking to far ahead! It's sad that one of our fav islands got so demolished. It's sad. I will just keep on reading online and see how things unfold.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tiba - only thing that jumps out to me, as if this cruises itinerary is particularly important to you and you might not like the substitutions, perhaps there is a cruise out there in the Western Caribbean that you are more interested in. If that is the case, perhaps you should book a second cruise now. Prices just keep going up the closer you get to your cruise date. It might be cost prohibitive to cancel just prior to the pay in full date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Conversely, UK cruisers are reporting some big price drops, possibly due to lack of (sufficient) bookings. Operative word being 'some' -- dates may not suit etc. Agree if a particular port or itinerary is important always a good plan to review all options before final payment.

There is no doubt that the cruise lines will return as soon as they consider it viable but as a side note, KLM have posted that they consider it will be at least a year before the island will be able to handle the pre Irma volume of tourists.

There is no doubt that the cruise lines will return as soon as they consider it viable but as a side note, KLM have posted that they consider it will be at least a year before the island will be able to handle the pre Irma volume of tourists.

It may be a year, but it will probably be much longer than that for the island to return to pre Irma tourism levels. After Irvan, it took the Cayman Islands seven years to get back to the same tourism levels it saw before the hurricane in 2004. Cancellations are pouring in to many properties in the impacted areas. Even for places that think they may be able to reopen fairly soon, people are cancelling because of the uncertainty. Unfortunately it will be a long time before people have the confidence that to return.

Unfortunately, there is more bad news headed to these scenic parts of the world. This morning, there is the CNN headline: "Hurricane Maria: 'Significant' strengthening likely as storm nears land". Here is their quick summary: "Hurricane Maria is forecast to rapidly strengthen over the next two days as it takes aim at Caribbean islands devastated by Hurricane Irma just days ago. Maria has prompted a hurricane warning for Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis and Montserrat."

Sadly, this latest storm that will complicate even more the cruise ship folks in trying to figure out their schedules of port stops during the peak winter season for the eastern Caribbean.

Full story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/americas/atlantic-storms-maria-jose-lee/index.html

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

Now at 53,186 views for these postings.

Here is the CNN graphic this morning for the direction of Hurricane Maria as it heads to the Caribbean.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%208.32.40%20AM_zpsbr7voa9z.png

Unfortunately, there is more bad news headed to these scenic parts of the world. This morning, there is the CNN headline: "Hurricane Maria: 'Significant' strengthening likely as storm nears land". Here is their quick summary: "Hurricane Maria is forecast to rapidly strengthen over the next two days as it takes aim at Caribbean islands devastated by Hurricane Irma just days ago. Maria has prompted a hurricane warning for Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis and Montserrat."

Sadly, this latest storm that will complicate even more the cruise ship folks in trying to figure out their schedules of port stops during the peak winter season for the eastern Caribbean.

Full story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/americas/atlantic-storms-maria-jose-lee/index.html

Now at 53,186 views for these postings.

Here is the CNN graphic this morning for the direction of Hurricane Maria as it heads to the Caribbean.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%208.32.40%20AM_zpsbr7voa9z.png

From what I have gathered PR which is the lifeline for the islands affected by Irma, at this time is thought to be in line to receive a direct hit by a category 3 hurricane. Some of the relief efforts have even haulted because of Maria as PR prepares for it.

From what I have gathered PR which is the lifeline for the islands affected by Irma, at this time is thought to be in line to receive a direct hit by a category 3 hurricane. Some of the relief efforts have even haulted because of Maria as PR prepares for it.

Yes, very sad and challenging situation. We will all hope for the best, but "two-in-a-row" are too, too many dire happenings.

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they have this headline: Category 3 Maria takes aim at the Caribbean islands leveled by Irma with these story highlights: The National Hurricane Center in Miami says that Hurricane Maria has strengthened to a Category 3 storm and was 'rapidly' intensifying into a major hurricane. The eye is expected to move through the Leeward Islands later Monday. The storm's center was about 60 miles east of Martinique, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph. The storm is on a path that would take it near many of the islands wrecked by Hurricane Irma and on toward Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Hurricane warnings were posted for Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis, Montserrat and Martinique. A tropical storm warning was issued for Antigua and Barbuda, Saba, St. Eustatius and St. Lucia.”.

Below are a couple of their graphics to better show where this storm is headed, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4895266/Hurricane-Jose-pound-East-Coast-week.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Daily Mail, here are the graphics/charts showing the Hurricane Maria path and direction.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.10.50%20PM_zpsscq8lopb.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.13.19%20PM_zpsetac5mq8.png