Travel insurance - Worldcare, or other recommendations

Looking for advice on travel insurance for the South Pacific.

I have purchased Worldcare before and thought they offered a good product at a reasonable price. Has anyone made a claim with them and was it a easy process?

We have used Covermore, and I wouldn't be bothered with them again, had a suitcase damaged by the cruiseline, and they didn't want to know about it. To me it defeated the purpose of having travel insurance.

Does anyone else have any travel insurance recommendations?

Looking for advice on travel insurance for the South Pacific.

I have purchased Worldcare before and thought they offered a good product at a reasonable price. Has anyone made a claim with them and was it a easy process?

We have used Covermore, and I wouldn't be bothered with them again, had a suitcase damaged by the cruiseline, and they didn't want to know about it. To me it defeated the purpose of having travel insurance.

Does anyone else have any travel insurance recommendations?

We always use Travel Insurance Direct (TID) and have claimed 3 times for medical and once for an iphone that was accidentally taken for a swim. No problems at all. Use the code TIDthanks and you receive 10% discount.

Kerry :)

I was reading insurance policies recently and there was something in Worldcare's that bothered me enough to cross it off the list. to be honest I can't remember what it was but I ruled them out.

That is interesting, it is the fine print that one has to look at. Which insurance company did you end up using?

Go to http://www.canstar.com.au - they give star ratings (and comparisons) on travel insurance (and lots of other things). Just checked it and interestingly the insurance we were using had been previously rated 5 stars and has now been downgraded to 4 stars. It is worth checking around.

Diane

Thank for the link very good.

Go to http://www.canstar.com.au - they give star ratings (and comparisons) on travel insurance (and lots of other things). Just checked it and interestingly the insurance we were using had been previously rated 5 stars and has now been downgraded to 4 stars. It is worth checking around.

Diane

I hadn't given canstar a thought, I have just looked and there is a lot of insurances not mentioned. I wonder if these companies have to pay to get their insurances rated?

Which insurance had you used?

Despite endless shopping around, I always end up going Covermore of recent years because of the exclusions on other policies. For example, if you've ever been to a cardiologist, even if all was OK, many insurers won't cover you for anything heart related ever. Crazy stuff.

Whoever you end up with, make sure you read the fine print. It's a jungle out there. ;)

My elderly mother needed to claim a medical expense from Covermore on a Canadian trip, and they paid up no worries, and also still insured her on her next trip.

We have use Travel Insurance Direct recently, reasonable prices and the cover seems good. We have had one claim for a doctors visit when on the ship in Hawaii and no problems with the claim.

Get a quote for a full 12 month travel policy and compare. It might surprise you.

For the second year running we have a 12 month policy with Covermore. Admittedly we haven't had to make a claim (& I hope we never have to :D) but the 12 month policy seems reasonably priced. It also covers us if anything happens while travelling within Australia (for holidays, business, etc) as long we're more than 200km from home. On their website you can choose how much cover, how much excess, what parts of the world you want cover for (cheaper if the Americas is excluded), etc.

I always pay with my credit card (which gives me points as well) and the c/c has a travel insurance which has always covered us at no cost.

Good reminder, we will be using our c.card and it too has free travel ins. Didn't pay on last cruise this way because they charged extra for using the card, now out online TA doesn't charge extra.

I always pay with my credit card (which gives me points as well) and the c/c has a travel insurance which has always covered us at no cost.

We do the same thing.

We only have to charge $500 each, to the card of the travel we are taking, to be covered. We try hard to avoid the Credit card fees if possible.

So if there is a surcharge, it is still cheap travel insurance. That means the most we ever have to pay for Travel Insurance is the surcharge (3%) cost of $30 Credit card fee, sure can't buy it for that price ;)

We rely on the Insurance cover with our credit card. The TAs dont like it much as they obviously get a commission on any Travel insurance they sell. Our TA had to admit when we recently booked that from what she had heard, the credit card insurances were very good. The only part that seems strange about the CC insurance is that there is no paper work and when I enquired with the Credit Card Company they were quite satisfied that the payment to the TA on their card was proof enough that you were covered. Havent had to claim yet so I suppose that would be the big test.

John

We rely on the Insurance cover with our credit card. The TAs dont like it much as they obviously get a commission on any Travel insurance they sell. Our TA had to admit when we recently booked that from what she had heard, the credit card insurances were very good. The only part that seems strange about the CC insurance is that there is no paper work and when I enquired with the Credit Card Company they were quite satisfied that the payment to the TA on their card was proof enough that you were covered. Havent had to claim yet so I suppose that would be the big test.

John

I have always thought the no paperwork thing with CC insurance is a bit weird too!

John

we use our gold credit card also for our insurance and we keep our statement from the bank that we have paid by CC....some TA's charge a surcharge for paying by CC and some dont so it works out to be cheap insurance

We got a booklet from our Credit Card company which shows all the coverage.

We also have a contact card for use if we get stuck anywhere. Its the same to me as purchased travel Insurance only difference we see, is that it is a $250 excess. The Company used here by the Credit Card companies is Chartis.

I have always thought the no paperwork thing with CC insurance is a bit weird too!

It's not taken out as an individual policy but more like group insurance that you have through superannuation. They pay a fee to the underwriter, make it up from card sales and transaction fees, and then verify that you're eligible when it's time to claim.

Archived