gettin me some beads

sea-u-later

Whenever it shows the crowds at Mardi Gras parade most people are wearing lots of beads. Do they really throw out that many, or do most just buy them in the nearby shops? I just dont want my kids to be let down if they dont catch any.

Oh, they throw them!! Depending on the parade and where on the route you are. How old are the kids? If they are younger than teenagers I'd advise somewhere along St. Charles - and if they are that age the riders DO throw more to kids. My kids usually come home with a bag full of beads, stuffed animals, balls, etc. If they aren't catching any people who are catching will give some to them. And that's from EACH parade.

Hi, Cathy! We will be arriving in New Orleans this Saturday at 6 pm. Too late for that days parades. But Sunday were planning on catching the uptown parades at 11 and 11;30. So if you could clue me in as to the best place to catch some beads it would be welcome!

I need to know where you are staying. One of the biggest parades of the season rolls Saturday. Are you arriving at the airport for 6 or will be driving in for 6? When do you sail out? Sunday on Napolean Ave. there are seveal parades. If you are sailing out on Sunday, you could catch the parades at the beginning. Some really good ones roll Sunday morning. My email is Crichard312@cox.net. How old are your children? I can give you more specifics if I know more of your plans. We are excited about Mardi Gras this year. A family we didnt even know took us in during Katrina. We were in Houston and the hotel kicked us out due to a convention arriving. My kids were in school with the kids of this family. They are coming to spend time with us now. It is there first Mardi Gras. Remember on thing.. they throw some coins (cant spend them). NEVER pick one up with your hand first. Locals put their foot on them and then go down to pick it up from under their foot. If you dont know this, you could get smashed fingers.

Hope you enjoy Mardi Gras and let me know if you have any questions.

Cathy

Oh, they throw them!!! When we used to go we'd come home with garbage bags full. Take the advice from the New Orleaneans on the best parades. Our favorites are Zulu, Endymion, and the truck parade. Have a great time.

see-y-later,

They even throw them for Christmas :D . We´ve been to a Christmas parade in Lafayette in 2004 and DD picked up 50 beads (at least that´s when I stopped counting) and I wasn´t allowed to leave them in the hotel. Imagine how those beads filled up our suitcases. We fortunately managed to stay within the weight limits for our flight back to Germany.

steamboats

OMGoodness, I was there this past weekend and got tons of beads. Missed one that had just past and was picking them up off the street and another came right behind on the same route so we caught that one. It helps to shout to the people on the floats to get their attention so they'll toss the beads to you.

Archived