What's so great about Aft balcony cabins?

Vividraven

The cabins are exactly the same as any other cabin, but the balcony is generally deeper than the ones on the side. Personally, I don't need a huge balcony, since there are only 2 of us! But, some folks really love them! There's very little wind back there, so in hot climates, it can be uncomfortable during the day. There may also be more movement in both the front and aft of the ship.

We like something midships--easy to get to stairs and elevators without a long, long walk!

Larger balcony, incredible panoramic view. I guess if you are reallllly sensitive, you might feel more motion, but I never have - and yes, we have been through some rough seas during storms while in an aft cabin.

For a little better idea, check out our pics at the link in our signature, then go to the Panama Canal cruise. This was Suite 1600 on the Radiance of the Seas.

Hope this helps!

Joe

I've also heard that there is more motion on the back of the boat, but after having a room back there four times I have never had a problem even though I get motion sickness very easily. I really like watching the sail away from the back, and I've gotten some great pictures of sunsets / dolphins / etc. I don't mind the walk to the middle of the boat...it isn't that far and helps you work off a little extra dessert. :)

The cabins are exactly the same as any other cabin, but the balcony is generally deeper than the ones on the side. But, There's very little wind back there, so in hot climates, it can be uncomfortable during the day.

We like something midships--easy to get to stairs and elevators without a long, long walk!

I agree. I think it's a personal preference. I know the aft cabins are very popular with a lot of cruisers.

But, I prefer a mid-ship cabin.......I wouldn't want to only be able to see where I've been. Plus, I like to watch us sail into port each day and the mid-ship cabins are great for that! :)

The slightly larger balconies are of course the main attraction. What you also need to know are the disadvantages of an aft cabin.

1. Depending on deck and ship you may get engine or prop noise while at sea.

2. It will be a long walk to the other end.

3. There will be more movement. If you are not prone to motion sickness this is not a problem.

4. You only see where you have been. I would rather be on the side and be able to see both views.

5. If you get one I have less chance of getting one.

I just got back from a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise aboard the Golden Princess (Feb. 9-16). I had cabin E730 on the Emerald deck (deck 8). It was in the most aft position on the Emerald deck (along with cabins E731, E732, E733). Our view was awesome - very panoramic! But yes, you can only see what's behind the ship, not what's on the sides or in front. If you're really that worried about it, you can just go onto one of the outside decks and take a look. Any cabin is a trade-off in terms of view. It's all personal preference, and some people seem to really worry about it too much. Honestly, how often are you in your cabin looking outside anyways? For me, not much. I was only in there at night to sleep, when it was dark outside and you couldn't see much anyways.

In the aft cabin, were above the propellers so you would get the sight / sound of the water being churned up. I liked the sound and found it relaxing. It reminded me of listening to a waterfall (but not that loud)! We did get a little more vibration back there than in the front of the ship. But it was really only noticeable when we were pulling into or leaving port. Once we got up to speed it wasn't really an issue. I know this because I also took the Golden Princess to Alaska last year and had cabin C103 on the Caribe Deck (deck 10) and it was all the way in the FRONT of the ship. I guess I always get one extreme or another when it comes to cabins!

The aft cabin was exactly the same in terms of layout, size, etc. The aft balcony was shaped like a big square instead of a rectangle, but I didn't really think it was that big of a difference.

Movement wise, I found both of the cabins to be about the same. I didn't think the aft cabin had all that much more movement then the front cabin I had, and we encountered rough waters on both trips.

Just my two cents...

With aft cabins you get to see what is on BOTH sides of the ship. Or should I say what WAS on both sides of the ship. Sure you may see where the ship was, but you get to see twice as much of it. Plus there is usually less wind aft, than port or starboard.

we were in a corner AFT and were able to see the whole side of the ship and out to the wild blue yonder. Check out my vid in my siggy for pics of our big- a$$ balcony - which wa cheaper than a cat 11 mini-suite :)

Aft cabins are absolutely awful. If the sea is rough, you pitch up and down which is not good if you are sensitive to motion.

It's a long walk to the bow, which is typically where the theatre is.

So just to be kind to everyone else, I always make a point of booking an aft cabin.... ;)

• 8 years later...

My husband and I have sailed 3 times now in an aft cabin and i don't know that i can go back to any other. The rooms are basically the same size but the balconies have been larger than balcony cabins on either side of the ship. Large enough, in fact, that I bring along a hammock and string it up so i can rock away while reading a book. The big difference I notice is the decreased noise. You don't have that constant foot traffic and rude travelers outside your cabin door shouting to each other and banging doors. Because there are usually only 6-8 cabins across the back of the ship you have very little traffic in the hallways and few conversations outside your door since I have never encountered cabins across the hall from an aft cabin so far. Being back there does mean you have to walk farther to get to activities but it's good exercise - plus, the dining rooms are most often located towards the back of the ship so all 3 times we were just one elevator away from dinner. Unfortunately, now that they have become so popular some of the cruise lines - RCL and NCL in particular - ten to almost double the price for a balcony cabin if you request an aft cabin. I refuse to pay that much for any cabin, so i just wait patiently for a super deal and then book.

Corner cabins are ideal - best of both worlds.

We were upgraded to a central aft cabin with an exceptionally deep balcony, and with large area of secluded open deck beyond - we called it Chloe's pony paddock :)

The balcony is very very sheltered - in foul & windy weather balconies along the side of the ship are un-useable, ours was fine, making our place very popular with our shipmates. A balloon which escaped from an upper balcony rolled around the paddock for days, despite the wind & the weather.

Like others on this thread, we found virtually no movement despite high seas.

Or vibration from the engines or thrusters, despite the traditional rudder & fixed propshaft

Downsides;

Very rarely in the sun

Depending on the precise ship, it's long walk to anywhere since there's no elevator or stairs aft. That included our dining room, even though it was directly below us.

You can see ships that have passed, you can't see any that you're going to hit. ;)

JB :)

Downsides;

Very rarely in the sun

Depending on the precise ship, it's long walk to anywhere since there's no elevator or stairs aft. That included our dining room, even though it was directly below us.

You can see ships that have passed, you can't see any that you're going to hit. ;)

JB :)

I consider those advantages. Long walk to the cabin means it is out of the way and there is just about no other passenger foot traffic walking down your corridors.

Also, 90% of the time, ships travel forwards, so if they crash, you will be the least affected.:rolleyes:

Recently completed Celebrity Solstice Hawaii to Vancouver cruise in my first ever aft stateroom...we booked two years ahead of time because there are so few of these cabins and they are in demand.

LOVED IT...we had five sea days crossing the Pacific and it was great to sit outside and watch the wake. I didn't anticipate how windy it would be as we crossed so I was glad I had a jacket. I was also in the middle cabin in the back of the ship so the balcony was wider than most. Yes, it was a longer walk from the stairs...but extra steps was how I reasoned I could have another gelato.

Susan

With aft cabins you get to see what is on BOTH sides of the ship. Or should I say what WAS on both sides of the ship. Sure you may see where the ship was, but you get to see twice as much of it. Plus there is usually less wind aft, than port or starboard.

This the reason we try (and usually fail) to get a "wake view" balcony cabin.

We had one on a Baltic cruise and the departure from Stockholm through the islands was just spectacular. The ability to see both sides as we sailed away was wonderful.

We also were invited to a wake view cabin when we sailed out of Glacier Bay in late afternoon. Wow. Talk about spectacular.