Great things about the GEM

Melady

Hi, we're going on the GEM in 17 days. If you have any pointers and/or good experiences that you can share, it would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Having been on the Gem twice I can say that the best thing is having the opportunity to listen to their great singer LEO.

Great outdoors! I ate breakfast there every am. It's relaxing early. Also they have food back there late at night. If the buffet is filled at breakfast La Cucina is open for overflow. O'sheenans has good food! Spinakers is a great place to hang out! Don't forget Maltings it's also nice to hang there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

The Great Outdoors (in the stern, Deck 12) is definitely one of the best spots on the Gem and her sister Jewel-class ships. It not only has its own buffet (more limited than the main buffet) and bar, but it's also a terrific place to hang out and relax at any time. Sun or shade, your choice. We've been known to spend hours there.

Also, don't miss the bridge viewing room, portside on Deck 11 all the way forward.

Have a great trip!

O'Sheehan's - even on sea days is usually not too busy, get a table next to the railings overlooking the atrium lobby below and you can do a little people watching, plus catch whatever activities taking place below. Or, sit at one of the long booths by the giant windows & watch the seas - it's an excellent alternative to the buffet for breakfast (MDR breakfast service is over by 9:30 or 10 AM) or mid-afternoon for comfort food as snacks, etc.

Having been on the Gem twice I can say that the best thing is having the opportunity to listen to their great singer LEO.

He wasn't there 2 weeks ago. We enjoyed eating the breakfast buffet food in la cucina, the great outdoors anytime during the day is a great spot, and spinnakers lounge, when empty, is such a quiet relaxing spot.

If you have the UBP, the bars down on 6 have top notch cocktails.

We've done the Gem several times and have always loved it. However when we there 6/3-6/10, our favorite spot, The Great Outdoors was closed for renovations. Still love the ship, but losing that space negatively affected our vacation. The guest services person we spoke to about it wasn't sure how long it would be closed.

We've done the Gem several times and have always loved it. However when we there 6/3-6/10, our favorite spot, The Great Outdoors was closed for renovations. Still love the ship, but losing that space negatively affected our vacation. The guest services person we spoke to about it wasn't sure how long it would be closed.

We were there the week before and it was open, that's too bad.

Keep in mind that the Gem is part of the Jewel class... so almost everything is the about the same on Gem, Pearl, Jewel, Jade.

The GEM is the newest of them. See wiki > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel-class_cruise_ship

Check some of the reviews too.

Maybe in some areas but not all. The thermal spa is better and much larger on the Gem compared to the Jewel

Anyone say what they were doing? When we sailed in late April, it had newish furniture (we had sailed her 4 years previously) and I think the layout of the buffet area was different. The only thing that looked the same was the bar where we spent many happy hours with Mark who made some great drinks.

Clay, I didn't get good information out of anyone. Guess we weren't asking the right people. Talked to Guest Services Manager, who was apologetic. That's about all we got.

Typically we would say, too bad and know that next time on Gem it would be improved. But later learned she's leaving NYC when Breakaway gets back...so, more than likely we'll not sail Gem again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's really a shame, it would definitely have had a big negative impact on us as well. Also very odd, since the Great Outdoors got a makeover when the Gem was in dry dock in late 2015.

Sorry this happened to you.

Since I often travel with my 85+ mom, I love that one of the main pools has stairs you can use to get into and out of the water. You'd be surprised how many ships have only ladders for all their pools, which can make the water effectively off limits for older, larger, or other mobility-challenged cruisers.

Since I often travel with my 85+ mom, I love that one of the main pools has stairs you can use to get into and out of the water. You'd be surprised how many ships have only ladders for all their pools, which can make the water effectively off limits for older, larger, or other mobility-challenged cruisers.

Agreed. Just wish the steps were into the adult pool and not the family one.

I was on the Gem last week 6/10-6/17. The Great Outdoors was closed most of the week, but reopened Thursday night according to the Freestyle Daily. I did have breakfast there the following morning. I missed it not being available earlier in the week. It's a favorite of mine.