Specialty Restaurants on the Dawn

Gampy1967

My wife and I are getting a OS for our 20th anniversary which included 3 meals at a specialty restaurant and also purchased a Deluxe Romance package that includes a free dinner at LeBistro. I know we are probably going to use two of the three included dinners at Teppanyaki and Cagney's. My question is which one of the following 3 would you recommend for the 3rd dinner:

Moderno (neither of us have ever had Brazilian)

LaCucina

Los Lobos

Thanks for your input from anyone who has been on the Dawn lately.

I was on the Dawn last month, and others were raving about Moderno and Los Lobos. I didn't eat at either, but I did eat at La Cucina and Cagney's. La Cucina was just ok; I've never had a great meal there in all my years of cruising on the Dawn. Cagney's was EXCELLENT. It was so good I ended up eating there 3 nights of my 12 night cruise.

I was on the Dawn last month, and others were raving about Moderno and Los Lobos. I didn't eat at either, but I did eat at La Cucina and Cagney's. La Cucina was just ok; I've never had a great meal there in all my years of cruising on the Dawn. Cagney's was EXCELLENT. It was so good I ended up eating there 3 nights of my 12 night cruise.

I love Italian but that is what I have heard. La Cucina is just ok, nothing really special. Supposedly the guacamole they make at the table at Los Lobos is supposed to be outstanding and my wife loves guacamole. May just wait and decide between Moderno and Los Lobos once we get on the ship. I am going to pre-book Cagney's and Teppanyaki before we board though.

Thanks for your input.

Moderno and La Cucina are both great. I'd pass on Los Lobos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What did you get at La Cucina that was particularly good? I had heard that La Cucina was just ok from several places online. I have heard good things about Moderno, just never had brazilian before though. Thanks for your input.

Another vote for Los Lobos! The skirt steak was fantastic and they have some great specialty margaritas.

Also, I am a huge La Cucina fan. I would argue that the filet mignon is the best out of any restaurant on the ship and the veal osso buco is amazing. La Cucina has delicious bread, too.

Tracy

Gotta go with Moderno and I agree with 2Cruise4Ever- don't fill up on the salad bar! My husband and I have done most all the specialty restaurants and each has its own flair. We never did Moderno until 2 weeks ago on the Dawn and loved it. The salad bar had so much good stuff - lobster bisque, prosciutto, cheeses, breads, olives, sushi, roasted peppers, salads - it was hard to hold back. But - the wait staff was great and explained how it would work. There are 11 different skewered meats (beef, pork, sausage, chicken, lamb). They give you a card to put up - green means bring it on. Red means pass by. We tried all 11 including the signature prime rib. It was all really good!

The new location up across from Cagney's is nice. There is a little Mojito bar up there so if you go early maybe you can snag a seat at the bar and watch how it works. We had a table for 2 overlooking the pool and the blue lights added to the ambiance. I'd definitely use this over Los Lobos for an SDP night. That said, go to Los Lobos another night. We saved it for our last night at sea and wish we had gone earlier. the food was outstanding and the a la cart prices reasonable.

Enjoy!

Just got off the Dawn this past Friday. We went to Los Lobos, Cagney's and Teppanyaki. Loved all three! Tried to get Cagney's twice because we loved it so much. Sold out. Glad we didn't cuz we were able to experience Teppanyaki. Fun place! Only experienced those.

We enjoyed Moderno and the Mojito bar is right there as well. Cagneys is definitely are favorite, but I forgot about Los Lobos as it is failry new on the Dawn. I have heard rave reviews about Los Lobos. We personally found the food and service at LaCucina lacking. It was our least favorite of the specialty restaurants...my husband is a huge steak fan and that is not really their thing so perhaps that is why it was our least favorite. The room is also rather close quarters if you want a private meal.

We went to LaCucina as part of the romance package in May and had a filet mignonette that was wonderful. Granted, they lost our reservation, so we were seated outside near Gatsbys, but that was a fine place for us and the food was amazing. We were pleasantly surprised since we were there years ago and it was not that great. Service was great too, maybe because of the mess up on reservation. All worked out and it was a great dinner.

My wife and I are getting a OS for our 20th anniversary which included 3 meals at a specialty restaurant and also purchased a Deluxe Romance package that includes a free dinner at LeBistro. I know we are probably going to use two of the three included dinners at Teppanyaki and Cagney's. My question is which one of the following 3 would you recommend for the 3rd dinner:

LaCucina

Los Lobos

I absolutely LOVED Moderno; the food was amazing and out of this world. But make sure you go hungry bc boy I wish I would have skipped lunch that day!!!! lol

Los Lobos was really good as well I would honestly go there as well - We didn't have the dining package, but the expense of it was well worth it and cheap as far as we were concerned!!!

Enjoy the Dawn we had a wonderful time and I wish we could go back like tomorrow!!

What did you get at La Cucina that was particularly good?

Osso Buco and a Chianti wine... My favorite meal ever on any cruise ship. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Holland America, Carnival and NCL included. Maybe it was a particularly good night. Tomahawk Rib Chop (med. rare) in Cagney's gets an honorable mention.

The room is also rather close quarters if you want a private meal.

La Cucina and Le bistro changed places during the last refit in 2016. So is it rather close now or prior to the refit? I felt Le Bistro had kind of tight quarters last time on Dawn, prior to the refit.

LaCucina

Los Lobos

Well out of 7 days on the Dawn we did LosLobos 3 times if that tells you anything