Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

On the 28th of april 2013 we will be one of the first consumers to sail the Norwegian Breakaway. Although it's only for one night we're looking forward to the experience of being the first one on a brand new ship.

First of all I want excuse myself when it comes to mistakes in writing this down in English. I'm from Holland, so it isn't my first language.

We will use this thread to keep you updated on the build of the Norwegian Breakaway. During our cruise we'll be updating live, so if you would like to see a picture of the pool area, post it here, we will be answering them all.

Cruise:

28/4 Rotterdam

29/4 Southampton

If you have specific questions, like eating at Ocean Blu, or pictures of the Owners suite, you can sponsor us ;)

I will start with an overview of the facilities onboard the ship.

4eb114fd.jpg

Like the Epic, the Breakaway will have modern rooms, with, what I think has a nice vibe. After a lot of criticism the split bathroom, like they were on the Epic, are joined again. The concept of the Studios is remained, although there are a little less. Underneath some of the cabins.

Inside:

761771c3.jpg

Oceanview:

e436e83c.jpg

Balcony:

3192ca8c.jpg

Mini-suite:

f83cff26.jpg

Breakaway will feature 3 complimentary sitting-down restaurant, which besides The Manhattan Room and Taste also adds the Savor, if compared to the Epic.

Manhattan:

0b4cc6d6.jpg

Taste:

fc4f35a5.jpg

Savor:

6398e281.jpg

There are also three buffet or take-away outlets planned. There will be an outdoor eatery, just like on other NCL-ships, but it isn't called Great-Outdoors. It will be called Breezeway. The other two are the all-known Garden Cafe and the popular after the wee-hours O'sheehan's.

Breezeway:

1783f482.jpg

O'Sheehan's:

4d8acbf8.jpg

Garden Cafe:

2bdc88ee.jpg

Last but not least there's also the possibillity of having an icecream in Gelato.

On the Epic, Norwegian completely modernised the level of entertainment. Frequent cruiseshippassengers are used to having a different show in the theatre every day. On the Epic they introduced the Blue Man Group, the only big theatre show during a 7 day cruise. The other entertainment is available on all the other venues thru out the ship. They will continue this philosophy on the Breakaway.

In the theatre there will be the big musical Rock of Ages:

6fd54e72.jpg

Other venues, which we know from the Epic are, the Headliners:

c79960b1.jpg

Fat Cats Blues&Jazzclub:

06eaf753.jpg

Second city:

931cd5f7.jpg

Another big show will take place during the Cirque of Dreams dinnershow:

5b1fb3d5.jpg

Likewise the Epic there also will the Bliss Ultra Lounge, the H2O where there will be a lot activity in the late hours. We'll see if they manage to take the Vibe Beach Club into action, where on the Epic Posh wasn't a big success.

The choise of for-fee dining will be plenty like on other NCL-Ships.

The well-known concepts will be present, like the Teppanyaki, Le Bistro an La Cucina. but we'll see a newcomer with the Ocean Blue. It's envisioned as a luxury seafood dining experience. It is created by celebrity chef and Food Network star Geoffrey Zakarian. It will have a adjacent Raw Bar and also an outside eatery. The renders of Ocean are not yet revealed.

Teppanyaki:

f61c4149.jpg

Le Bistro:

562d2b16.jpg

La Cucina:

1b9ffe7f.jpg

Cagney's Steakhouse:

9eeff1ae.jpg

Wasabi Sushi Bar:

58a6b263.jpg

Moderno Churrascaria:

e5410b0a.jpg

It's great to have a lot of this information in one place. I look forward to the pictures of the actual ship once she's sailing. Maybe she'll be complete on her first voyage, unlike the Epic was.

One thing you said I don't agree with. You said Posh wasn't popular. I disagree. I think it's hugely popular with suite guests, and many non-suite guests clamor to buy a weekly pass. I think it has served them well...not as a "night club" as some envisioned it early, but as a respite away from the main pool deck.

A lot details are yet to reveal, but likewise the Epic, Breakaway will also boost a big Aqua Park and Sports Complex.

The Sports Complex will for example have the biggest roap course at sea, will have a 9 hole mini golf, a rock climbing wall and a Basketball court.

The aquapark will have 5 massive multi-storey slides.

Sports Complex:

e1ed5743.jpg

Aqua Park:

f9fed517.jpg

During the day also the Spice H2O will be available for all the adult passengers, which I think is a great thing.

1635c133.jpg

Not yet revealed, but will probably be there is the gym and off course the Spa.

It's great to have a lot of this information in one place. I look forward to the pictures of the actual ship once she's sailing. Maybe she'll be complete on her first voyage, unlike the Epic was.

One thing you said I don't agree with. You said Posh wasn't popular. I disagree. I think it's hugely popular with suite guests, and many non-suite guests clamor to buy a weekly pass. I think it has served them well...not as a "night club" as some envisioned it early, but as a respite away from the main pool deck.

Thanks Mike, I will try to gather as much information as useful here and as soon as she's sailing, if finished offcourse.

I agree with you it was a very nice respite away from the busy pool deck, but when I saw the first renders I hoped it turned out to be a Night Club on the warmer evenings. Afterwards the Spice did that trick too.

I like Norwegian because of the laidback atmosphere. No set patterns, dine when and where you like, choose the show you like, take your suitcase of the ship yourself, at the time you like for example. Besides that I think Norwegian, together with RCCL. is leading when it comes to breaking traditional habits in ship design. On the Epic they tried it with the split bathroom, I didn't mind, but a lot people did. I couldn't see the advantages of it myself. This time they had a better plan, which I think is brilliant. Personally I think they took the criticism about the Epic being to closed-in as an inspiration in designing the Waterfront.

Most of the outlets on deck 8 have an open air-space on the Oceanfront deckspace. Which I think is a great addition to the open space on the upperdecks.

f57f3bef.jpg

On the 4th of may 2012 the keel of the Norwegian Breakaway was laid in the Meyer Werf in Germany.

17af3bd7.jpg

The shipyards is building in blocks, so they produce several blocks at a time and put them together like Lego. This makes the buildingprocess very quick.

In the picture underneath you can see the massive scale of the ship:

fe5d9257.jpg

After a short amount of time the aft was placed:

0a55be5d.jpg

985f34dc.jpg

This gives the aft of the ship it's permanent shape, which I think is much more beautiful then Epics:

50d7901c.jpg

Also the engines arrived:

fcdbd998.jpg

And the funnel is placed:

7818886b.jpg

Inside it's already possible to distinguish the different outlets, like Manhattan:

538708e3.jpg

And Moderno, one deck above, with a view down the Manhattan Room:

5f1c51de.jpg

In the upcoming time, NCL will reveal more information on the Breakaway and we will gather this information here.

Thanks for pulling this into one place. I, for one, will be following this thread to watch progress. Great pictures.

By the way, I find that most Dutch have a great grasp of English...often doing better than people I know in the US. :)

I have loved the time I've spent in your country. Mostly is was in Amsterdam for business, but I stayed with a friend in Huizen and we traveled around to places like Zaandam, Lelystad, Volendam, Edam, etc. Mostly seeing touristy things (as I was a tourist), but taking in the local flavor as well. I'll be getting down to Rotterdam and The Hague next time...maybe down into Belgium too.

Counting down the 254 days..

Wow! A lot has to happen in the next 254 days! Especially can't wait to see what they have planned for hull art (sure to be controversial given the artist's big, bold pallet)

Brilliant Thread!! We are looking forward to our Breakaway cruise next summer. I placed this thread in my favorites so I can check back to it. I cannot wait to see your pictures from the first night on the ship! Thank you for starting this thread.

I love the pictures of the ship being built, and have been following along with the Building Breakaway blog on the NCL website as well. It was so exciting to see the aft pictures, as I was able to see our cabin in a nice big photo! We are in an aft corner penthouse on deck 11. Now I can't wait to see it from the inside!

~Michele :D

Great post and a fantastic way to keep up on the Breakaway! Like many, I enjoyed watching the EPIC come together (despite all the build challenges). So far it seems Breakaway's construction is going much more smoothly. :D

...we traveled around to places like Zaandam, Lelystad, Volendam, Edam, etc.
SDMike, it sounds like you could have easily been talking about sailing on HAL given your locations in the Netherlands. ;)

Archived