Northern Lights

babs135

We are doing an eastbound crossing at the end of November; is there ANY chance that we might see the Northern Lights?

Never say "never", but I would have to say it will be unlikely. When there is exceptional solar activity, the Northern Lights can be visible far enough south that they could be visible during a crossing, but I think that would be unusual.

Also, I just checked a moon phase calendar and there will be a full moon on November 25, 2015 which I believe is the date of your departure, so that will not help. You really want a moonless sky to have a good chance of seeing the Northern Lights.

Interestingly, I found this question and answer about the Northern Lights on ask.cunard.com.

When is the best time to see the Northern Lights?

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

We are doing an eastbound crossing at the end of November; is there ANY chance that we might see the Northern Lights?

There is a real chance; of course it will depend upon there being sufficient solar activity and a clear night. You will certainly be far enough north on a Southampton-New York great circle track. In early December 1862, the northern lights were seen in Virginia.

As you will not go much above 40 degrees Latitude it would need a KP Index of between 6 and 7 to even glimpse aurora. Highly unlikely at this time of year.

I won't argue with your conclusion but I will observe that Soton is at 50.9 degrees latitude

The ship will not follow a "true" Great Circle and will barely reach 50 degrees on a Transatlantic I'm afraid. Running the Planetarium we check the Lat/Long every day and this is indeed the case.

Very few crossings follow a "true" great circle - but even a half-hearted approach to one going from Southampton (already 50+ North) to New York will be one whole lot north of the "not much above 40" you cited.

The full moon (when above the horizon) could seriously impair viewing - but at ANY latitude above 40, there is indeed "ANY chance" of seeing the northern lights ---- which is what we are discussing on this thread.

Sorry but that is wrong. The KP Index rarely rises high enough for Aurora to be seen at that latitude. It would need a KP Index of 8 or 9 to be seen at 50 degrees. On last week's crossing we only rose above 47 degrees on leaving Southampton and for most of the crossing we were between 40 and 42.7 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Never say "never", but I would have to say it will be unlikely. When there is exceptional solar activity, the Northern Lights can be visible far enough south that they could be visible during a crossing, but I think that would be unusual.

Also, I just checked a moon phase calendar and there will be a full moon on November 25, 2015 which I believe is the date of your departure, so that will not help. You really want a moonless sky to have a good chance of seeing the Northern Lights.

Interestingly, I found this question and answer about the Northern Lights on ask.cunard.com.

When is the best time to see the Northern Lights?

Regards,

John.

Wow, one simple question and suddenly it starts to get rather technical :D Thanks John for taking the time to look at a calendar. I guess it all boils down to 'being in the right place at the right time'. Nevertheless I shall have my binoculars handy at all times - just in case.

As it happens, we are flying to New York via Iceland (!) and I'm hoping that there may be a chance whilst we are in that area.

Would we be able to see the Lights from an airplane?

Late afternoon, so if not dark - November in Iceland- the light will definitely fading.

Your chances of seeing the aurora on a flight from Iceland will be better than on the QM2. You will be further north and should be above any clouds.

I see there is an Icelandair flight listed that departs Reykjavik at 5:05pm for JFK. If that's your flight, your departure time is about an hour past sunset for late November. I honestly don't know if that will be dark enough considering you will be chasing the sun on a flight going west and you will have that pesky almost full moon to contend with. But if you manage to get a window seat on the right side of the plane, who knows, you might be able to spot something.

Regards,

John.