South Excursions:Valparaiso and Vina del Mar City Tour (4 1/2 Hrs)

sexyaznboy

Hey guys, a new friend on Cruise Critic here is trying to set up a tour for our March 16th cruise which ends up in Valparaiso for a city tour ending up at the Santiago airport. The tour will be on March 30th.

The tour is through South Excursions. Now I know we aren't supposed to recommend companies but can I ask about whether anyone has been on this tour or used this company and can let me know about your experiences? I thank Cruise Critic members over the years, they have been generally pretty on the mark with their reviews.

Thanks!

Are they really called South Excursions or is that a translation of their name in Spanish? Do they do business under any other name? I've noticed that some of the companies can be found under a couple of different names or web addresses if you look hard enough--or that they use a translated name on their English page.

No, not trying to be a wiseacre, just trying to open up possibilities. I don't recognize the name (and I've been doing a lot of reading here) and was hoping that you might give more information.

A number of companies and guides have been mentioned on our roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18004288#post18004288 We are just back and talking about what we all did in Valparaiso. A couple gave the name of the company they toured with--and where they went. It's all on the last couple of pages of the thread.

Have a great trip!

Are they really called South Excursions or is that a translation of their name in Spanish? Do they do business under any other name? I've noticed that some of the companies can be found under a couple of different names or web addresses if you look hard enough--or that they use a translated name on their English page.

No, not trying to be a wiseacre, just trying to open up possibilities. I don't recognize the name (and I've been doing a lot of reading here) and was hoping that you might give more information.

A number of companies and guides have been mentioned on our roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18004288#post18004288 We are just back and talking about what we all did in Valparaiso. A couple gave the name of the company they toured with--and where they went. It's all on the last couple of pages of the thread.

Have a great trip!

Thanks so much for the link...I'm trying to gather as much information as possible. As for the company, this is their website:

http://www.southexcursions.com/

I mean I guess anyone can come up with a website, it doesn't mean that they are reliable. But given there are 9 of us from Cruise Critic going, and we are not paying until the day of the tour, I would hope things would go ok! I'll check out your link! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Me and my wife cruised with Crystal Simphony the last Dec. We found their website and contacted them for a pick up at the airport and tour in Valparaiso and Vina del Mar before embarking. Everything went really fine, the van they used was practically new and the guide very helpfull. As you said we should not recomend but we had a good time with them, they were waiting for us at the airport as they said and we had a great day.

I hope you have a great cruise

:)

Alex.

Hi,

Me and my wife cruised with Crystal Simphony the last Dec. We found their website and contacted them for a pick up at the airport and tour in Valparaiso and Vina del Mar before embarking. Everything went really fine, the van they used was practically new and the guide very helpfull. As you said we should not recomend but we had a good time with them, they were waiting for us at the airport as they said and we had a great day.

Alex.

Thank you for your information. My friend found SouthExcursions through website searching, and through e-mails with them (Javier at Customer Support), we were quoted $59/person for a group of 6. The price includes pick up at Valaparaiso cruise terminal at 9:30 a.m., then tour of Valaparaiso, Vina del Mar, Santiango, with dropoff at Santiango airport at 5:30 p.m. The price is very reasonable, but since I have never heard of that company, I still wonder if I should go ahead with our booking. Since you tried them and am happy with them, I guess I will go ahead and confirm our booking with them.

I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. What is the name of your tour guide?

2. Did you pay for the tour at the beginning of the tour, or pre-charged (credit card) at U.S. before the tour?

3. Did you have to give any personal information (passport numbers, credit card info., ...) when you booked on-line with them?

4. Where did they dropped you off for lunch? Was it a really fancy expensive restaurant or just family style restaurant?

5. What is the common % for tipping of the guide and the driver?

Thank you!!:)

In searching for a private tour on our arrival at SCL for NCL cruise from Valparaiso, I found Hector Medina.

He was great with his responses, and reasonable with his price.

If interested you can google hector medina chile.

Hi,

Alex.

Thank you Alex, its nice to have a positive review. Looking forward to it!

To be honest, I don't remember the name of the guide, was Pablo or Paulo or something like that. About payment they give us the choice to pay by credit card or in cash the day of the tour. As we didn't know much about the company we decided to pay the day of the tour, but after seen how the tour was and the guide and van they used I'm sure there is no problem paying with credit card. Before leaving home they send us a passenger registration form for us to fill with full names, emergency phone numbers at home and basicaly that because we didn't have to fill the credit card info as we were going to pay in Chile. Te restaurant we stopped was very nice, not fancy but nice and clean, excelent food and a funny waitress, was located in vina del mar I think...

Not problem at all with the food, was many other people in the restaurant, many of them not from Chile we could noticed. About tips I think it is apt to you, we are from Europe and here tipping it is not the same as in the USA but if the service is good we always give a good tip.

We've been in South America twice in two years, we really love it, every time it is a diferent experience, and in Crytal they treat us like home. I'm 100% sure that you will enjoy your cruise what ever company you choose for your tours.

Alex:)

Thank you for your information. My friend found SouthExcursions through website searching, and through e-mails with them (Javier at Customer Support), we were quoted $59/person for a group of 6. The price includes pick up at Valaparaiso cruise terminal at 9:30 a.m., then tour of Valaparaiso, Vina del Mar, Santiango, with dropoff at Santiango airport at 5:30 p.m. The price is very reasonable, but since I have never heard of that company, I still wonder if I should go ahead with our booking. Since you tried them and am happy with them, I guess I will go ahead and confirm our booking with them.

I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. What is the name of your tour guide?

2. Did you pay for the tour at the beginning of the tour, or pre-charged (credit card) at U.S. before the tour?

3. Did you have to give any personal information (passport numbers, credit card info., ...) when you booked on-line with them?

4. Where did they dropped you off for lunch? Was it a really fancy expensive restaurant or just family style restaurant?

5. What is the common % for tipping of the guide and the driver?

Thank you!!:)

Thank you Alex for the detailed information.

I plan to take the "pay in cash" option. We are doing the reverse order (Val. to Santiago airport), so our lunch break will be in Santiago. Javier from S.E. said he will e-mail me a passenger registration form and invoice. We will be on the RCL's Radiance of the Sea S.A. cruise in April.

Just back from Sailing the NCL Sun which ended in Valparaiso. Our Drivier and Guide met us a the pier like they said they would, took us on a tour of Valparaiso, Vin Del Mar, and Santiago. We also stopped at a winery in the Casablanca Valley and went shopping at several markets. The guide walked around with us and made sure we were always safe and translated when needed. They dropped us at the airport at 8pm. (please allow 3 hrs for check in at the Santiago Airport the lines are very long) I had gotten the contact info from this site and would like to recommend you contact Christian the VAN MAN email christianroymx@hotmail.com the guide told me they also do tour pick ups in Santiago and transfers to the pier.

Just back from Sailing the NCL Sun which ended in Valparaiso. Our Drivier and Guide met us a the pier like they said they would, took us on a tour of Valparaiso, Vin Del Mar, and Santiago. We also stopped at a winery in the Casablanca Valley and went shopping at several markets. The guide walked around with us and made sure we were always safe and translated when needed. They dropped us at the airport at 8pm. (please allow 3 hrs for check in at the Santiago Airport the lines are very long) I had gotten the contact info from this site and would like to recommend you contact Christian the VAN MAN email christianroymx@hotmail.com the guide told me they also do tour pick ups in Santiago and transfers to the pier.

How many of you went on the tour. Can you give an idea of the cost?

Archived