Silver or Gold shoes with a black dress

Silver or Gold Shoes with Black Formal Dress  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Silver or Gold Shoes with Black Formal Dress

• Gold
    • Silver

Either metallic would be fine as long as it is burnished and not bright, otherwise the shoes will stand out as much as white would. Of course, if you want the shoes to make the statement instead of the dress....that is a different story.

Some shoes that are strappy sandals with very thin straps could work in either metallic, but it would depend entirely on the individual shoe. I don't think you can just make a blanket judgement on color going with a dress without seeing the shoe.....or the dress. After all, I've seen shoes that are black, but all wrong for a black dress. Before anyone gets their knickers in a wad over that, I'm not talking shoes for foot problems, rather shoes on people who could wear anything but make horrendous choices pairing shoes with clothing.

So, I didn't vote because the choice was too narrow.

shoes..if closed toe..off blk hose...if no hose..u can wear strappy sandals..but i vote for black....I like to all blk leg look

I'm not crazy for off black hose, they just look faded to me. If you're going to wear black hosiery with an evening dress, make them a sheer beautiful black.

No stockings!!!!!! Any of the choices will work--I guess it will depend on how you "accessorize" the dress--surely you'll be wearing something to give some interest to a plain black dress.

No stockings!!!!!! Any of the choices will work--I guess it will depend on how you "accessorize" the dress--surely you'll be wearing something to give some interest to a plain black dress.

I have no idea where people get this attitude. There are dresses I own that I would not wear hosiery and dresses that I would not be seen in unless I am wearing hosiery. It depends on the dress, the shoes, the person...there are a lot of women out there foregoing hosiery when it is the worst choice they could have made and vice versa.

Blanket statements cannot possibly apply to everyone all the time.

The OP did not refer to her dress as plain and uninteresting. A black formal dress can be amazingly beautiful and not need adornments at all. Understated can look far classier than overly decorated with the wrong accessories or shoes.

My advice to the OP, try on the different shoes with your dress and take photos. Put those photos up on your computer screen to really critique your look as to what others will be seeing. If you feel like you look beautiful, you will look beautiful.

I'm not crazy for off black hose, they just look faded to me. If you're going to wear black hosiery with an evening dress, make them a sheer beautiful black.

my off black hose" ARE named..light black sounds funny

I agree with Happy ks about either needing to be a burnished metallic but I'll go one step beyond. Gold is related to browns, if mixing paint you would use white, yellow and brown to get a gold color whereas silver is related to black...white mixed with black so my personal choice is silver with black.:)

Oh, the good old stockings versus no stocking argument. There are just some legs that look better in stockings and it has nothing to do with the dress.;)

Red patent!!!! No hose, but that's just me. I tend to slip around more with hose on and that would be terrible on a ship. Of the two choices listed either would work. I would consider jewelry in the choice. I would want to wear gold with gold or silver with silver instead of mixing.

What about making a choice based on your coloring? If your skin tone is cool, the silver might look better, but if you are warm toned, the gold might be nice. I have a lot of pink undertones in my skin and silver jewelry just looks better on me, buy my sister has beautiful olive toned skin and she looks great in gold. Just a suggestion!:)

No stockings!!!!!!

The OP didn't ask about stockings, therefore I'd assume she knows what she wants. Why are you even bringing this tired old subject in again.

But for the record, I don't think that there's a blanket statement about the issue. It's what looks best on an individual, with her dress and with her shoes.

surely you'll be wearing something to give some interest to a plain black dress.

The OP never said it was a PLAIN black dress.

You certainly do like to read what you want in other people's messages. :D

With a knee length strapless black formal dress, which color of shoes would go best silver or gold?

Or do you think I should stick with BLACK shoes?

I think that black is the best choice.

That said, if you already own black, silver and gold shoes, and don't plan on buying a new pair, you should wear the ones that look best with the dress. So for example, if the black ones are "old and tired" while the silver ones look new and dazzling, I'd go with the silver.

You get my drift?

A pair of black patent heels, perhaps with a peep toe, or a stiletto with a thin Mary Jane strap would look gorgeous.

I didn't vote because I have a question - do you have other accessories planned already? Jewelry &/or wrap? Because I need to wear cool colors, most of my jewelry would be silver or white gold, so I would go with silver shoes. But if I looked better in warm tones and were wearing gold jewelry, I'd go with gold shoes. Red could be fun, too. And yellow is really big righ tnow as well.

Red patent!!!! No hose, but that's just me. I tend to slip around more with hose on and that would be terrible on a ship. Of the two choices listed either would work. I would consider jewelry in the choice. I would want to wear gold with gold or silver with silver instead of mixing.

I think this is very good advice, though it depends on the style of the shoe. A little color goes a long way in making a dress 'pop'...and 'What Not to Wear' agrees.:) I like the idea of coordinating the jewelry also...mixing is more accepted but I still follow through with either silver or gold. Good luck with either choice and enjoy your trip!!

I think you have gotten some very good advice. I really think it depends on the dress as to what color or style shoe would look best. Maybe posting a picture of your dress would help. Overall, silver, metallic gold, and black would all probably look really good.

I agree with a previous poster, some women really need to wear panythose, others don't. But, PLEASE no pantyhose with sandals! Also, I suggest if you choose to wear them and want black, DON'T do off black, because most of the off black ones tend to look "gray". I too, would suggest trying some shoes on and see which ones would look the best, as it is hard to say without seeing your dress - can you post a picture of it?

Sue

Archived