US $$ in Australia/New Zealand

The hubby and I spent a week in Australia following a cruise last November, and have spent several weeks in New Zealand several years ago. Unlike cruises in the Caribbean you will need to exchange US dollars into the local currency. Just find an ATM.

No, you won't be able to use US dollars down under. You also can't use Australian dollars in New Zealand or vice versa. Completely different countries/currencies, but we do all speak English - kinda ;)

Do these two countries accept the US Dollar? Will I need to get my money exchanged?

My answer is a little different.

We found many places did accept USA dollars in both countries. But other places didn't take them.

I would still exchange USA currency into the local currency but just wanted to note that we have used USA currency from time to time in both countries.

Keith

My answer is a little different.

We found many places did accept USA dollars in both countries. But other places didn't take them.

I would still exchange USA currency into the local currency but just wanted to note that we have used USA currency from time to time in both countries.

Keith

If you use US$ in these countries expect to get a dollar for dollar exchange at whatever service you use it at - not very smart. eg NZ$10 = USD7.50 but they will only accept your US$10. However, they will gladly accept your USD as a tip:) should you offer it.

If you use US$ in these countries expect to get a dollar for dollar exchange at whatever service you use it at - not very smart. eg NZ$10 = USD7.50 but they will only accept your US$10. However, they will gladly accept your USD as a tip:) should you offer it.

As I said, we did exchange money but in some places I actually used USA dollars and it was not as you had mentioned.

I got a reasonable exchange rate.

Keith

It always somewhat amazes me that people that live in the states (I live there, too) think the US$ will be accepted wheverever they travel. :rolleyes: Do they think OZ/NZ$ will be accepted here...they aren't. It's only a polite consideration to the countries we visit that we exchange to their local currency upon arrival. Accepting US$ in most countries requires the person accepting it to go to their bank and make the exchange and pay the fees. Why put locals through that unless it's a country that readily accepts US$ and these become fewer as time goes on.

It always somewhat amazes me that people that live in the states (I live there, too) think the US$ will be accepted wheverever they travel. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the person was asking, not expecting.

Why put locals through that unless it's a country that readily accepts US$ and these become fewer as time goes on.

And indeed for this reason. Perhaps we were a place that accepts them?

Foreign currency is just another form of currency like credit cards.

Not every place accepts those either, so people sometimes ask. Nothing wrong with that. Some businesses choose to accept credit cards to make it easier for customers to buy. Again, same with currency. Nothing wrong with that either.

It always somewhat amazes me that people that live in the states (I live there, too) think the US$ will be accepted wheverever they travel. :rolleyes: Do they think OZ/NZ$ will be accepted here...they aren't. It's only a polite consideration to the countries we visit that we exchange to their local currency upon arrival. Accepting US$ in most countries requires the person accepting it to go to their bank and make the exchange and pay the fees. Why put locals through that unless it's a country that readily accepts US$ and these become fewer as time goes on.

Many people do not expect anything.

You will find in various countries that the USA dollar is widely accepted and in some countries it is actually preferred. While not the case in Australia and New Zealand there are many places that do accept it.

When we visit there we do exchange money but our goal is not to exchange too much that we have a lot left over. We also will use a credit card in many places as well to get optimal rates. With that said if we become concerned that we don't have enough local currency and we are someplace where we prefer not to use the credit card there have been times we have used USA currency in both countries. We don't demand its use and we understand if they don't accept it but the reality is several places do. So there are times we use it. The same is true for some other countries.

Keith

The Oz/NZ$ used to be very weak against the US$ but not any longer. the exchange rate has been at parity or better more recently which is good news for Aussies paying for their cruises in US$ but bad news for American visitors here and Aussie traders willing to accept US$ (of whom there are increasingly few). My advice to visitors hoping to use US$ is don't assume you will be able to. Obviously this doesn't apply to US credit cards.

I am a New Zealander and I would say generally $US would not be accepted here for most shopping, taxis, transport etc. A few of the guides running tours would probably accept $US as a tip, if it was given, but tipping is not expected here.

I would advise changing $US to $NZ at any bank or in the main shopping centres where we have Travelex or using an ATM. Never use the on board ATMs on the ships terrible exchange rate.:( The use of Credit Cards here is widely accepted and very safe to use. I have to say I don't carry cash with me I use a Credit Card all the time.

The smallest note here is $5, most ATMs deal with amounts divided by $20.

So can withdraw $20, $40, $100 etc. Which would be dispensed in $20 notes.

General guide:

A coffee in a coffee shop approx in NZ$ $5. A cooked lunch in a nice cafe $20-$30 a head. Fish and chips from a take away bar $8-$10. Sandwich $3-$7.50 depending on shop and area. Hope this helps in some way to guide you on costs.

If you are looking to buy wine to take back on board with you all supermarkets here stock Alcohol.

Enjoy your visit to New Zealand :)

Once again thanks for all the information. I did not expect these two countries to take our money. I was merely asking. As I said, I am new to leaving our part of the world, so I just wanted to know. I will gladly exchange my US$ for the local currency. Thanks again.

Just another little tip....

If you choose to use to the ATM machines in AU/NZ to take out local currency, just take out a small amount, and use it again if more is needed.

That way you will get small denomination notes and not have the hassle of trying to use , say a $100 note.

Just another little tip....

If you choose to use to the ATM machines in AU/NZ to take out local currency, just take out a small amount, and use it again if more is needed.

That way you will get small denomination notes and not have the hassle of trying to use , say a $100 note.

ATM's in Oz charge a fee for use by people other than their own customers - usually $2 per use. Not a deal breaker but it annoys some people. I remember when you could specify from a menu which denominations you wanted - no way now this happens. I solve the small note problem by always asking for (eg) $240, which will usually give you 4 X $50 notes plus 2 x $20. In the ATM's I use $100 notes are rare. They do not seem to offer $10 notes anymore so $230 is not an acceptable amount. Unfortunately $50 notes in these days are no longer considered a big note.

Colleen

I solve the small note problem by always asking for (eg) $240, which will usually give you 4 X $50 notes plus 2 x $20. In the ATM's I use $100 notes are rare. They do not seem to offer $10 notes anymore so $230 is not an acceptable amount.

Actually it would be accepted. You'd get 3 x $50 + 4 x $20.

Excellent - you should try out for a guest spot on Letters and Numbers!

Colleen

I've just spent 2 weeks visiting family in Sydney and wish we had that prograrmme in NZ! I got hooked on it.

Incidentally, I've lived in NZ since 1968 and have yet to see a $100 note! $50 and $20 are the most commonly issued denominations from ATMs in NZ.

I've just spent 2 weeks visiting family in Sydney and wish we had that prograrmme in NZ! I got hooked on it.

Incidentally, I've lived in NZ since 1968 and have yet to see a $100 note! $50 and $20 are the most commonly issued denominations from ATMs in NZ.

You can catch episodes on the SBS web site for the show.

http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/lettersandnumbers

We are also fans - clearly I need to watch more closely!

Colleen

Since you have mentioned it, and now I come to think about it, I dont think I have seen a $100 or a $50 note for quite a while now.

They used to be common place when we were paid in cash, but when does that happen nowadays?

Just about all wages, benifits and pensions get paid straight into your bank account and we just withdraw our daily/weekly needs.:eek:

I think the last time I saw a $100 note, was when a tourist was trying to cash it for smaller denominations:rolleyes:

If you are travelling from the US and want to change to AUS and/or NZ $ check with your bank for the ATMs where you will not be charged an additional fee above the exchange rate. We bank with BofA and they have agreements with banks in AUS regarding this and gave us a list of locations in the airports and different cities. The fees can add up and this is a real savings for us. ~~Judy

Archived