Tikal - Plane Size?

spazwok

My husband and I really want to do the Tikal, Maya City of Voices tour with HAL on our Panama Canal cruise next year but we are concerned with the size of the plane.

My husband is a larger guy and on a regular plane we generally book 3 seats so we don't need to squash someone else.

Is the plane really small? Is there a weight limit?

Does anyone know if HAL would let us book 3 tickets to ensure we got some extra space for my husband?

Any help would be great :)

• 1 month later...

Tikal is absolutely worth it!

We had two small planes going there (Oceania cruise). Maybe 12 - 15 passengers each? They were chartered and left from an empty military airport near the port.

It's going to be tight for your husband. Our plane had one lady passenger who needed to go sideways to her seat to fit in the narrow aisle. There were no weight restrictions and we had no luggage beyond a really small daypack.

Vehicles usually have to park outside the ruin complex. Our guide talked the guard to let the bus go in. In addition to the lady, we had two passengers with a cane. All the people who had to walk looked envious at our small bus. All the passengers made it up to the temple ruin which has a wooden staircase built in the back. Up there, the ledge is really narrow , but you also have an excellent view from the last wooden platform of the staircase.

Better talk to HAL about your personal details.

• 5 months later...

We went March 2014 from Guatemala on Holland America cruise. It was a 20 seat twin engine turboprop. If you can board the plane first and sit all the way in the back, there is a seat that goes all the way across the back of the plane, but it has no window. I still have the photo of the plane and the actual plane is painted http://www.tag.com.gt. The front of the cabin safety instructions states Bandeirante EMB 110. When I Googled it, it comes up with "The Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante." You can Google the photos. We had an awesome trip to Tikal that was worth every penny. The ruins are awesome. We climbed so many things my legs hurt for days. My husband is 6'2" and almost 300lbs and he was fine.

My husband and I really want to do the Tikal, Maya City of Voices tour with HAL on our Panama Canal cruise next year but we are concerned with the size of the plane.

My husband is a larger guy and on a regular plane we generally book 3 seats so we don't need to squash someone else.

Is the plane really small? Is there a weight limit?

Does anyone know if HAL would let us book 3 tickets to ensure we got some extra space for my husband?

Any help would be great :)

I took the Holland America Tikal excursion last week on my Incan Empires cruise. We were taken to a nearby military base an boarded a chartered TAG SAAB 340-A twin turbo prop with seating for 30. 2 seats on 1 side and a single seat row on the other side. the plane was comfortable and the aisle was wide enough for the flight attendant to push the beverage cart down the aisle for cabin service. The passenger who sat across the aisle required a seat belt extender and looked comfortable. She had the seat to herself. There were empty seats on the plane. You could put up the arm rests between seats. The cabin did not feel cramped, though as a single, I took the single side bulkhead set so I had a little more room. I did have to move over a little so the attendant could bring up the stairs and slide the cabin door in place prior to take off. this plane is larger than the flightseeing planes in Alaska, where there is a weight limit. I would not buy 3 seats..the price of the tour was about $650....I wouldn't pay extra.

The flight took about an hour 15 minutes and the scenery was a bonus for the trip! We flew by the volcano, and the lush landscape below was beautiful.

We were the only plane at the "international airport." The plane was noisy because of the propellers, but I thought the flight was fascinating.

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

We are looking into this tour on our March cruise. From all that I have been able to gather this is an awesome trip. My DW has some concerns about the actual flight. I guess her main issue is the plane and crew. Are we talking some barely flyable plane with a crew right out of Indiana Jones or a professional crew? I know this probably sounds stupid but there isn't a low of info on the flight specifics.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Dan

We are looking into this tour on our March cruise. From all that I have been able to gather this is an awesome trip. My DW has some concerns about the actual flight. I guess her main issue is the plane and crew. Are we talking some barely flyable plane with a crew right out of Indiana Jones or a professional crew? I know this probably sounds stupid but there isn't a low of info on the flight specifics.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Your wife can relax! go to the TAG (Guatemalan airline) web site for a photo of the plane. Below is the description. This is the largest plane in their fleet. The plane looked new and well maintained. The seats were leather and the interior was white, giving it a spacious feeling. We had a pilot and co-pilot and a TAG flight attendant....who gave the preflight instructions in Spanish, then in English. It was exactly the same as any US commercial flight as far as instructions. I can understand your concern....I asked a lot of questions before the cruise, calling HAL. My DH ( who didn't go) was an AF pilot and then worked in aerospace wanted info. I was very comfortable with the plane and professionalism of the crew. I have flown on smaller planes than this on Delta.

I would not hesitate to take this tour again....it was fascinating. Our tour was divided up at Tikal, and there were only 7 of us and the guide, so he took us through the jungle to more sites that the other larger group. Our vans were allowed to drive all the way I to the main plaza of pyramids, saving about 45 minutes of walking time. I hope this helps! Karen

saab340a_des.jpg

The Saab 340 A twin-engine turboprop aircraft is made ​​in Sweden, Saab Aircraft has two General Electric engines of great power, which makes it one of the safest aircraft in its category, has a spacious cabin with seating for 34 passengers ample seating for passenger comfort, bathroom and necessary for board service equipment. This aircraft has a pressurized cabin system with active noise control cabin, reducing noise giving more comfort for the passenger. This aircraft also has the configuration option to air freight.

Capacity: 34 passengers

Number of aircraft available: 4

Maximum capacity: 8,085 lbs. (3,670 kgs.)

Hi Dan,

Your wife can relax! go to the TAG (Guatemalan airline) web site for a photo of the plane. Below is the description. This is the largest plane in their fleet. The plane looked new and well maintained. The seats were leather and the interior was white, giving it a spacious feeling. We had a pilot and co-pilot and a TAG flight attendant....who gave the preflight instructions in Spanish, then in English. It was exactly the same as any US commercial flight as far as instructions. I can understand your concern....I asked a lot of questions before the cruise, calling HAL. My DH ( who didn't go) was an AF pilot and then worked in aerospace wanted info. I was very comfortable with the plane and professionalism of the crew. I have flown on smaller planes than this on Delta.

I would not hesitate to take this tour again....it was fascinating. Our tour was divided up at Tikal, and there were only 7 of us and the guide, so he took us through the jungle to more sites that the other larger group. Our vans were allowed to drive all the way I to the main plaza of pyramids, saving about 45 minutes of walking time. I hope this helps! Karen

saab340a_des.jpg

The Saab 340 A twin-engine turboprop aircraft is made ​​in Sweden, Saab Aircraft has two General Electric engines of great power, which makes it one of the safest aircraft in its category, has a spacious cabin with seating for 34 passengers ample seating for passenger comfort, bathroom and necessary for board service equipment. This aircraft has a pressurized cabin system with active noise control cabin, reducing noise giving more comfort for the passenger. This aircraft also has the configuration option to air freight.

Karen,

Thanks for all the info. It's good to hear how satisfied and safe you felt. From all that I've been reading this is a tour not to be missed.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dan,

saab340a_des.jpg

Karen,

Thought of another question. How strenuous would you say this tour is? We're in our mid sixties and in good shape. Walking and a bit of climbing is fine. But if this is a tour that requires more strenuous climbing over difficult terrain then we may need to reconsider. Again, thanks for the info.

Dan

Karen,

Thought of another question. How strenuous would you say this tour is? We're in our mid sixties and in good shape. Walking and a bit of climbing is fine. But if this is a tour that requires more strenuous climbing over difficult terrain then we may need to reconsider. Again, thanks for the info.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I am 67 and in good shape, and the tour was not challenging at all. If you look at Google Images, there are many pictures of Tikal. Our vans were permitted to drive in to the Main Plaza, and the area was level and grassy. Climbing on the ruins is not permitted. One temple on the main Plaza has a wooden staircase up the backside and I did climb up and did not consider it difficult. The view from the top is spectacular and you can see other temples peeking up above the treetops. We split into 2 groups. one group took an easier path, wide with gravel. My small group went through the jungle which was not level, but not too difficult....one tour member had leather thongs ....no socks...and did fine. I always wonder what people are thinking when they dress like that!

There were restroom stations along the way as we walked...it is a national park. Buildings were identified with signs in several languages.

The walk through the jungle brought us to the temple with the incredible view. The wooden staircase wound up the back....I would guess 10 stories....it was an ambitious climb. A third of the way up and holding on to the railing as I climbed, I put my hand in a large bird dropping:eek: and the climb was over for me! A man coming down the stairs gave me paper towels, and I couldn't get to the restroom fast enough. I was sorry I didn't make it to the top, but I got the full nature experience!

I wore thick soled hiking boots....I wore the same boots for the Incan/Mochian Ruins in Salaverry and Lima. I wore long pants and shortsleeved top with a light linen jacket. (think layers) That worked out fine. The temp was in the low 70's.

I would consider this no more difficult that Yosemite National Park. You can walk and climb as much or little as you want and still enjoy the park.

Hope this helps you decide!

Karen

Hi Dan,

I am 67 and in good shape, and the tour was not challenging at all. If you look at Google Images, there are many pictures of Tikal. Our vans were permitted to drive in to the Main Plaza, and the area was level and grassy. Climbing on the ruins is not permitted. One temple on the main Plaza has a wooden staircase up the backside and I did climb up and did not consider it difficult. The view from the top is spectacular and you can see other temples peeking up above the treetops. We split into 2 groups. one group took an easier path, wide with gravel. My small group went through the jungle which was not level, but not too difficult....one tour member had leather thongs ....no socks...and did fine. I always wonder what people are thinking when they dress like that!

There were restroom stations along the way as we walked...it is a national park. Buildings were identified with signs in several languages.

The walk through the jungle brought us to the temple with the incredible view. The wooden staircase wound up the back....I would guess 10 stories....it was an ambitious climb. A third of the way up and holding on to the railing as I climbed, I put my hand in a large bird dropping:eek: and the climb was over for me! A man coming down the stairs gave me paper towels, and I couldn't get to the restroom fast enough. I was sorry I didn't make it to the top, but I got the full nature experience!

I wore thick soled hiking boots....I wore the same boots for the Incan/Mochian Ruins in Salaverry and Lima. I wore long pants and shortsleeved top with a light linen jacket. (think layers) That worked out fine. The temp was in the low 70's.

I would consider this no more difficult that Yosemite National Park. You can walk and climb as much or little as you want and still enjoy the park.

Hope this helps you decide!

Karen

Karen,

Perfect. Your description of the tour and what is needed is what we were hoping. Sounds like a wonderful tour.

Thanks again for all the info.

Dan