Bringing on Alcohol in San Juan

IHATESNOW

We are booking our next Southern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Victory for Jan 2009 out of San Juan. We went on the same ship last winter and we were allowed to bring one liter on the ship through our carry-on. A little advertised and known perk for Carnival San Juan departures at the time. And you could leave the ship and come back on with another! It was just one liter per pass through the gate.

Does anyone know if you can still do this? It sure cut down on the bar tab!

Ventureman

I am absolutely positive. It was January 2007. Everybody was doing it! You could buy duty free right in the terminal. One of the people with us even asked a Carnival employee and they said that San Juan was the only place that Carnival allowed it.

Ventureman

I am absolutely positive. It was January 2007. Everybody was doing it! You could buy duty free right in the terminal. One of the people with us even asked a Carnival employee and they said that San Juan was the only place that Carnival allowed it.

Yes this is true.......

Absolutely true.

After you check in, go upstairs. There you will find the liquor store.

Arrive early as there will be a cart set up and a very friendly person giving free shots! Go in the store and load up!

Just make sure you put it in your carry-on.

Is this only for ships originating from San Juan... ?

It's the only port I've sailed from that's been that way.

The only ship I've sailed on from there was Destiny. Don't know if it's true for the other lines though.

I don't know why it's different there. Maybe the head of the Port Authority's cousin's wife's brother owns the liquor store.

Absolutely true.

After you check in, go upstairs. There you will find the liquor store.

Arrive early as there will be a cart set up and a very friendly person giving free shots! Go in the store and load up!

Just make sure you put it in your carry-on.

Thanks for the info! Is there wine in that liquor store, or is it only the hard stuff?

Thanks for the info! Is there wine in that liquor store, or is it only the hard stuff?

I'm not a wine drinker so I didn't look for it there. But I think they do sell wine. Someone else can maybe confirm this???

I'm not a wine drinker so I didn't look for it there. But I think they do sell wine. Someone else can maybe confirm this???

I dont recall much of a wine selection, but there are lots of bottles of champagne.

It should also be noted that there are always lots of free liquor tasting tables set up right outside of the duty free store.

First off, thanks to those of you who answered. I am bumping this to see if there are any more recent Carnival cruisers who information on my question.

If you do happen to buy duty free liquor and try to carry it in the silver bag you get from the store, you might run into a problem. Thats why everyonr just cautions you to make sure you have room in a carry on bag, or better yet pack an empty backpack or duffel and use that exclusively for your duty free liquor purchases.

You can also check in, go to your room, get a bite to eat, then get off the ship and hit the duty free shop when you come back. I dont recall what time it closes, so I would do that before 6 or 7. Someone might remember the closing time. Also make sure you have a carry on bag.

We'll be on the Liberty in June, departing from Miami, but visiting San Juan as a port of call. Do you think we would be able to buy alcohol and carry it on (out of sight, of course)? Or does this just apply to ships ORIGINATING from San Juan? This will be a port that is midway through our cruise, so I'm sure we'll be needing to restock by then.

Thanks!

am i reading this correctly? if you leave from san juan, the no liquor rule does NOT apply on embarkation?

Unofficially, yes.

It's been that way forever. A co-worker who used to cruise alot (12 Carnival Cruises in 8 years from 1988-1996) said that you used to be able to bring cases of beer onboard if you brought your own folding travel cooler:

http://www.keepyourcooler.com/terrain-collapsible-cooler.html

am i reading this correctly? if you leave from san juan, the no liquor rule does NOT apply on embarkation?

If you bring it on in plain site, you wont get it on the ship in most cases.

I have been on Destiny out of SJ 5 times and have seen them take(it was returned the last night of the cruise) liquor from people that openly tried to bring it on.

If you bring it on in plain site, you wont get it on the ship in most cases.

I have been on Destiny out of SJ 5 times and have seen them take(it was returned the last night of the cruise) liquor from people that openly tried to bring it on.

Wow, 5 times, you must love port days.

I'd agree, when we went on the Destiny they had a large collection bin next to the entrance to the ship that was full of bottles but we walked right on with ours inside the carry on.

Archived