How would you react to pirates?

We've read in a few Australian publications that some passengers on MSC Melody threw plastic deck chairs and tables at pirates who attempted to board the cruise ship. Guests were ultimately ordered to return to their cabins, and the attack was thwarted by onboard security forces and evasive maneuvers.

But we're curious -- if you were on a cruise ship attacked by pirates, would you try to join in the fight or would you run straight to your cabin and lock the door?

As for me, I'm a big chicken -- I'd probably be hiding under the bed!

We've read in a few Australian publications that some passengers on MSC Melody threw plastic deck chairs and tables at pirates who attempted to board the cruise ship. Guests were ultimately ordered to return to their cabins, and the attack was thwarted by onboard security forces and evasive maneuvers.

But we're curious -- if you were on a cruise ship attacked by pirates, would you try to join in the fight or would you run straight to your cabin and lock the door?

Will 2 fit under your bed????????????

This is a serious question. If pirates were successful in overwhelming the security forces of the ship (who should be armed in the Gulf of Aden), it would be pointless for cruise passengers to continue the fight. There would have been gunfire and deaths of security forces and crew before any surrender.

The prudent action for passengers would be to stay out of the way of the crew who are defending the ship, go immediately to their staterooms, lock the door and use whatever communication devices are available to alert authorities. Then, in a worst case scenario, try to be of the hostages who survives -- no resistance, no eye contact. And if you are ever fortunate enough to be on a cruise with Clint Van Zandt as a lecturer, pay close attention to what he says. In fact, I would probably get his article on "Hostage Survival Strategies" before cruising through the Gulf of Aden. The dangers are real, anyone remember the Achille Lauro?

Unfortunately, neither Jack Bauer nor John McClane are cruisers.

Isolate and conquer.

I'll bow to this. We have become too complacent in todays society. We depend too much on someone else to take care of us. I'm sorry, people, but I will not rely on some glorified security, police and/or military force to take care of me. Likewise with our illustrious government. As long as I have breath, I will fight my own fight.

I'll bow to this. We have become too complacent in todays society. We depend too much on someone else to take care of us. I'm sorry, people, but I will not rely on some glorified security, police and/or military force to take care of me. Likewise with our illustrious government. As long as I have breath, I will fight my own fight.

Clackey,

I got your back bro - as they say let's roll!

Just wonder what worse might have happened if those guys on the flight on 9/11 didn't storm the cockpit and divert that plane from its intended target.

We need to stand up and take no prisoners.

I would be right in the middle of it. My only regret would be that my guns where home and I doubt if their so-called "secuity" has any.:mad:

I am with you 100%!!! If the cruise ships are going to be attacked by pirates I want permission to carry! I can guarantee you DH AND I would be right in the middle of it!!!

I believe there were Israeli trained security on board the MSC Melody. They had guns and there were over 200 shots fired. It started with the Pirates shooting out a dining room window and the security team responded very quickly. Now MSC has to answer why they had armed security aboard. It seems they should have used Sound to divert the pirates. I know if I'd been on that ship I would rather see well trained Israeli security with weapons respond than to watch a team of waiters and deck hands try to hold the pirates off with a noise machine. No disrespect for the waiters and deck hands, but in this situation , show me a former Israeli commando with a gun any day.

I'd look for Johnny Depp :D

Me too!

Hmmm, I had my picture taken with one on my last cruise. I know, I know he was just a guy in makeup but still.....

Quite honestly, not sure what I would do .. don't think I would be frightened. I'd probably just retreat to my cabin with hopes that I could see what was going on outside my window.

Furthermore, I think it would definately give me something extra to talk about when I got home but it would NOT keep me from continuing to cruise.

I think it's difficult to say what one might do in a case like this....

That being said, be dammed if I'd roll over and give in. It's not my nature.

I think I'd probably do whatever I could to assist onboard security in denying these thugs whatever they want, for whatever purpose. What form that might take, who knows?

Lets stop calling them pirates....that has a "romantic" twang to it. Call them what they are; thugs and terrorists.

And, stop paying ransom......it only encourages these types......

Stopping the payment of ransom ain't going to happen - the international maritime community is in a bind and can't risk an exodus of labour from developing countries should hostages start to be murdered.

The only viable solution is to stop the piracy at source in Somalia but that is a huge undertaking and involves a 'bigger picture' approach than photo ops with gunboats on the high seas.

I will kick anyone who gets in my way while I am on my way to my cabin.

I believe there were Israeli trained security on board the MSC Melody. They had guns and there were over 200 shots fired. It started with the Pirates shooting out a dining room window and the security team responded very quickly. Now MSC has to answer why they had armed security aboard. It seems they should have used Sound to divert the pirates. I know if I'd been on that ship I would rather see well trained Israeli security with weapons respond than to watch a team of waiters and deck hands try to hold the pirates off with a noise machine. No disrespect for the waiters and deck hands, but in this situation , show me a former Israeli commando with a gun any day.

That is what I love about the Israelis. They have a tank in every garage and know how to use it. When you take a poke at them it is like punching a hornets nest.:eek:

Let the people trained for this do their job. A plastic chair traveling at 50 feet per second is not going to compare too well to lead traveling at 1,000 feet per second.

How about equiping all balcony cabins with a gun locker that contains a couple of M16s and boxes of ammo...I would have no problem shooting at those Somalis if they try to climb up on my balcony...hate to say it but I would rather shoot them than be held hostage by them in that God forsaken place called Somalia...those people are savages...I rememebr what they did to our soldiers when their helicopter went down over there...I applaud MSC for carrying a Israeli security force with weapons and think all ships should do the same!

Archived