Tuesday 9th July BBC2 8.00

simonpjd

We joined this cruise at Bangkock - they were doing 'camel racing' actually - Dolphins must have been on their holidays! Looking forward to seeing the programme - it was a good cruise and it should be intersting. Not trying to contradict you but on the FO Facebook page it says 8.30 pm on BBC 2.

I've just watched this on bbc iplayer and I have to say it has confirmed my fears that I will not be ready for a world cruise for a very very long time - and, even then, maybe not! Well, maybe not with fred olsen anyway. It was like watching a documentary about an old folks home on water.

The most interesting person was (much younger) diabetic Bob, and now he's got off at Acapulco with his lovely new wife, I won't be able to follow his progress on the diet to better health, shame.

I will watch again, as I want to see the ports of call, but I'm afraid I will continue to cruise with cruise lines popular with families for the foreseeable future. I'm 59 by the way.

Extraordinary programme - all about the chaplain, the choir, diabetes, obesity, illness, death, dying. So incredibly depressing. Dear old Fred Olsen must be regretting this and there's still five more programmes to go. Talking about a floating care home.

The series is produced by the BBC's Religion and Ethics Department and is based on the Mission to Seafarers' Anglican Chaplin Reverend Colin Still. He provides a 'parish at sea' as he travels around the world on Balmoral.

Well. I have just watched the programme this morning on iplayer.

Not sure what I expected before it began, but the programme I guess will focus on certain passengers each week. We have had inside story programmes in the past of how the crew live etc . Remember THE CRUISE that launched Jane McDonalds career?

There are always plenty of odd bods (including myself) on a world cruise so they will have no problem finding good material.

I know what is like to spend over 100 days on World cruise having done it few times and It can be difficult for many people. We are fortunate we have no elderly relatives or family to worry about. Many people like the choir instructor suffer guilt at leaving them behind.

I have met people who have had to leave the ship and fly home to be with a dying parents, or a sick family members. People get ill and have to leave the ship. It can be traumatic as I well know.

The average age on a world cruise is around 60 plus but you do get many 50 somethings who have retired early. That will only be the full world cruisers. All the segment ports attract a younger age group. 35 /40 age bracket.

To be on a ship for such a long time it becomes a second home.

People do join choirs and other activities and learn new skills to keep ones mind busy between ports of call. After all, there is no housework to do, or cooking or work in general, so people do join in things. Like tap dancing and fall and break an wrist and end up been medi vacced off. (Pity they didn’t film on Arcadia that would have been an eye opener with all the traumas we had this year).

So I will watch it again as I think it I will concentrate on new passengers each week. Plus the old faithful 500 who are doing the full voyage. They moaners will get airtime at some stage as the complaints kick in. So watch this space!

Personally I love world cruises and I enjoyed watching the ports of call in the programme as we had done them all in the past.

Cost Rica, the choir lady was in Limon on a tour called Trains and Canals and is a good tour if you ever go there do it as you see plenty of wild life and bananas.

I doubt I would ever cruise on FO but I love Cunard for World Cruises. You need to be on a bigger ship for a world cruise. :)

I was on the "Black Watch" long Winter voyage when this documentary was being filmed on the "Balmoral". We were told then that the series was based on the chaplain and his view of the world cruise. This is what it turned out to be.

I must confess that the impression given was that passengers were overwhelmed by crises in their lives and constant concern about their families at home. On this ship and the "Black Watch" world cruises this is far from the truth as I have witnessed it. Most people were having a wonderful, care-free time away from the British Winter and the cares and concerns left at home.

As to age, of course most people on a 104 night cruise were elderly. How many working people could afford to take three months off work? However, most passengers are resilient, enthusiastic people anxious to see the world. The emphasis of the programme on the "oddballs" and problem cases certainly masked this.

My main criticism is that the publicity for the seies did not point out that it was a cruise seen through the eyes of the chaplain who naturally deals with personal problems.

I hope later episodes give a wider picture of this lovely ship and its staff.

We joined that cruise in Dubai having just returned from 8 weeks on P&O's Arcadia. We are early 60's...not retired but have wonderful staff who cope brilliantly without us there......we did not find all the passengers elderly or infirm...in fact they were a lively bunch and we quickly made friends with several the same ages as us.

We enjoyed the three weeks on Balmoral as much, if not more, as the Arcadia. There were plenty of fun activities and a young entertainments team who went out of their way to make sure everyone was enjoying themselves.

The documentary is showing the cruise from the padre's eyes and the first one really did not capture all the fun that was being had.

We will definitely cruise on Balmoral again.

Thank you to everyone for your valuable feedback, and for supporting the programme.

It is important to note that the focus of the ‘The Cruise: A Life At Sea’ series is the Chaplain. The series was commissioned by the BBC’s Religion and Ethics Department, under the premise of taking its hugely popular BBC2 ‘Island Parish’ series to sea, and as such ‘The Cruise: A Life At Sea’ is about the Chaplain’s life on board, who he comes to meet and the activities that he undertakes in the course of his travels. The series is therefore a gentle, warm-hearted view of life on board Balmoral’s ‘World Cruise’ with Reverend Colin Still, and is not a promotional broadcast for Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, nor the ship nor its guests and crew (the BBC could possibly have been clearer about this in its promotion of the series).

As the series is produced by the BBC, an independent public service broadcaster, Fred. Olsen has no ability to influence what it chooses to film, and so the film crew on board Balmoral picked out the stories that they felt strong enough to appear in the series.

We are very proud that Fred. Olsen has been chosen as the cruise line for this BBC observational documentary series, and we hope that, as it goes on, viewers will get to see more of the warm and welcoming atmosphere that Fred. Olsen offers on its ships, get to meet more of the guests and entertainers on board, and come to understand more of the very special experience of taking a 'World Cruise' with Fred. Olsen.

Do keep tuning in and get involved in the chat on Twitter using the hash tag #thecruiselifeatsea

Regards

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

I agree unfortunately this program will put anyone under 60 off cruising. Reading the Digital Spy Forum people are saying it confirms cruising is not for them. Others have tried to say it isn't typical of most cruise ships, but unfortunately I think the damage has been done. Not a good advert for cruising I'm afraid.

I agree unfortunately this program will put anyone under 60 off cruising. Reading the Digital Spy Forum people are saying it confirms cruising is not for them. Others have tried to say it isn't typical of most cruise ships, but unfortunately I think the damage has been done. Not a good advert for cruising I'm afraid.

Agree with this 100%. I am 28 years old and myself and my girlfriend love cruising. I find myself telling people all the time that going on a cruise is not like being imprisoned in an old folks home. It is amazing the amount of people that hold this view. Programmes like this do nothing to encourage first time cruisers to book with lines like Fred Olsen.

Perhaps Fred Olsen are not targetting a more youthful market but I will probably stick with more "lively" cruise lines at the moment.

PS: Balmoral looks like a great ship.

I feel a bit sorry for Fred in this case, as they have no control over the output that the BBC decides to show. But this is a terrible show for Fred and I cannot imagine anyone saying 'Yes lets go on the Balmoral - it looks fun'. Oh dear - because actually the Balmoral is a lovely ship with a good atmosphere on board, and while we felt young on board (mid 50s) the older passengers were mainly quite feisty and adventurous for their age. But that did not come across at all.

What a great programme. It showed the fun side and will let those who haven't cruised before see how friendly it is. I have been cruising with Fred since my 30's and thoroughly enjoy the personalities we meet on board, especially the crew. Balmoral looked lovely, a beautiful traditional cruise ship. I hope we see the wonderful people that work on her. Bring it on, Fred.:o

Thank you to everyone for your valuable feedback, and for supporting the programme.

It is important to note that the focus of the ‘The Cruise: A Life At Sea’ series is the Chaplain. The series was commissioned by the BBC’s Religion and Ethics Department, under the premise of taking its hugely popular BBC2 ‘Island Parish’ series to sea, and as such ‘The Cruise: A Life At Sea’ is about the Chaplain’s life on board, who he comes to meet and the activities that he undertakes in the course of his travels. The series is therefore a gentle, warm-hearted view of life on board Balmoral’s ‘World Cruise’ with Reverend Colin Still, and is not a promotional broadcast for Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, nor the ship nor its guests and crew (the BBC could possibly have been clearer about this in its promotion of the series).

As the series is produced by the BBC, an independent public service broadcaster, Fred. Olsen has no ability to influence what it chooses to film, and so the film crew on board Balmoral picked out the stories that they felt strong enough to appear in the series.

We are very proud that Fred. Olsen has been chosen as the cruise line for this BBC observational documentary series, and we hope that, as it goes on, viewers will get to see more of the warm and welcoming atmosphere that Fred. Olsen offers on its ships, get to meet more of the guests and entertainers on board, and come to understand more of the very special experience of taking a 'World Cruise' with Fred. Olsen.

Do keep tuning in and get involved in the chat on Twitter using the hash tag #thecruiselifeatsea

Regards

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

Well, I think we all feel your pain. It's a PR disaster for your company. I hear that Saga turned the BBC down.

I have to agree with you entirely. My daughter in Law was quite shocked when she watched this programme so much so that I had to try really hard to convince her that not all cruise ships are like that.

She thought the ship looked "grotty"...cabins..mmm ..can't possibly call them Staterooms..are they all like old style Butlin accommodation. She positively cringed at the "oddities" on board.

She was so amazed with it all.. especially when I have shown them lovely photos of our cruises...that ANY cruise could be like that.

So yes this programme could put future cruisers off from considering any cruise....it certainly has put me off booking or even considering sailing with FO

Well, we tuned in & watched. I work in a Nursing Care Home & it reminded me so much of work - we offer similar entertainment there & have similar people staying there. Don't think we will be cruising with FO for a least another 30-40 years; was considering it at one point. Appreciate World Cruises have to be different to shorter ones to a certain extent but having seen it, not for us. Friends & relatives have since said to me "how can you go on a holiday like that?" They have visions of us doing the same thing as what was shown on TV.

Of course, to all the people who travel on these world cruises, knowing the price that Care Homes charge these days, it's probably getting on for the same price per week to sail on a World Cruise as it is to stay in a Home - can see why it attracts the passengers it does really ;).

Bad PR move, I think - shame that the BBC were given full authority to show what they wanted without FO seeing it first before it was aired.......

The demographic on Balmoral is typical of any long itinerary or world cruise....it would be the same on Cunard, P&O or whoever. I made the mistake of taking a World Cruise segment on Silversea, and the passengers on that made the crowd on Balmoral look like a positively youthful bunch of partygoers! I've also taken two shorter Fred. cruises, 8 & 10 nights, and the age range was far wider than depicted.

The programme is produced by the BBC Religious department, and is a direct replacement for the "Island Parish" series which featured various ministers and their parishes in remote locations......unfortunately the original producer died, hence the new programme on Balmoral.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have been on Braemar twice and I can assure you it was nothing like that. On the French Collection cruise in 2010 there were all ages, including babies and teenagers. On the Caribbean cruise in 2012 there were mainly adults, but again, the cruise was nothing like that depicted on the programme :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised that Saga turned it down :D perhaps they should have asked Cruise and Maritime :D

Agree with this 100%. I am 28 years old and myself and my girlfriend love cruising. I find myself telling people all the time that going on a cruise is not like being imprisoned in an old folks home. It is amazing the amount of people that hold this view. Programmes like this do nothing to encourage first time cruisers to book with lines like Fred Olsen.

Perhaps Fred Olsen are not targetting a more youthful market but I will probably stick with more "lively" cruise lines at the moment.

PS: Balmoral looks like a great ship.

Hi gstewart, I see you are going to the fiords on the Crown. Is that on the August or September cruise?

Well, we tuned in & watched. I work in a Nursing Care Home & it reminded me so much of work - we offer similar entertainment there & have similar people staying there. Don't think we will be cruising with FO for a least another 30-40 years; was considering it at one point. Appreciate World Cruises have to be different to shorter ones to a certain extent but having seen it, not for us. Friends & relatives have since said to me "how can you go on a holiday like that?" They have visions of us doing the same thing as what was shown on TV.

Of course, to all the people who travel on these world cruises, knowing the price that Care Homes charge these days, it's probably getting on for the same price per week to sail on a World Cruise as it is to stay in a Home - can see why it attracts the passengers it does really ;).

Bad PR move, I think - shame that the BBC were given full authority to show what they wanted without FO seeing it first before it was aired.......

Hi Julie, what are you doing on here? :D:D

I can assure you that Fred is not half as bad as depicted :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did my first cruise with Fred last October, having done 3 P&O cruises. We were on the Braemar and we thoroughly enjoyed it. yes we are 66 and 74, but we like to party, swim every day, love to dance, like our wine and are never in bed at 10.30 like some folk think. There were quite a few a lot younger than us on the cruise. There was a fun atmostphere. i thought the food was better than P&O and I particularly liked the fact that you wait to be seated in the buffet (unlike the bunfight with trays on P&O) and also the white linen napkins and tablecloths in the buffet - again, not like P&O's bare tables.

regarding the programme. Far too much of the vicar. I'm sure there is a very small proportion of passengers that have anything to do with the vicar and as for the couple worrying about his weight and diabetes, i think the wife will talk herself into an early grave while she worries about him. What a depressing lot!

Now choirs at sea is a marvellous idea. We had that on the Braemar and it was wonderful. There were 90 of us and we gave two performances at the end.

Can't wait for Balmoral in January, first leg of the Worldie out to Dubai. Personally a world cruise would not appeal to me at all. a 28 day holiday is about perfect for me.

My partner and I will be going on our 4th FO cruise in September. We are early 60s and do tend to be at the younger scale of passenger ages on Fred, but we don't mind that. We always have 2nd sitting for dinner as we don't go to bed at 10.30pm, we like to stay up late.

We have met some really nice people on the cruises and had lots of laughs. I also prefer a more formal ship as there are very few children. We also like the formal evenings as it is very rare we have the chance to dress up these days.

I had hoped the programme would have shown more of the destinations. We had been on the Costa Rica trip on a previous cruise with another company. Who in their right mind would consider starting a diet on a cruise. I suppose the 'odd bods' were featured because normal people would not have made a programme.

Personally, I don't think Fred will lose pax over this as they know the market they aim at and it's not the youngsters. Every cruise we have been on with them has been full.

I think the BBC should have emphasised more that it is a religious programme rather than a cruise programme, but then I probably wouldn't have watched it.

Archived