Planning first river cruise~Line recommendations, please!

mmbl

We are planning a first river cruise for Christmas time next year (2015); which line should we consider~ Viking, Avalon, Uniworld, other? Recommendations, pros and cons, best frequent cruiser program, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have just returned from our second river cruise with Uniworld and can recommend them with highest compliments. Excellent food, thoughtful and informative shore excursions, and staff that anticipate every need.

I suspect nearly any river cruise is a good one, but for us, Uniworld has been the best. We love their style, we enjoy the blend of ages and travel experience of their guests, and for us, the excursions tend to be more along the lines of getting under the skin of the place rather than just walking around 'seeing stuff'. The Danube onboard the River Duchess is an excellent example, with excursions such as a 'home lunch' hosted by a local family. Wonderful experience, and one we will never forget.

We are planning a first river cruise for Christmas time next year (2015); which line should we consider~ Viking, Avalon, Uniworld, other? Recommendations, pros and cons, best frequent cruiser program, etc.

There are lots of threads on the River Boards about Christmas Market cruises on various lines and they are very informative. Use the search function.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I always look at itinerary first and try to find one that has most of what I want to see and then find a match with the cruise company.

I'd do a search first of the various Christmas markets--are you interested in crafts or food or photographing lights? Does country matter? Then do some research on those ports, then look at which cruise line would best meet your needs.

Have fun!

I always look at itinerary first and try to find one that has most of what I want to see and then find a match with the cruise company.

I'd do a search first of the various Christmas markets--are you interested in crafts or food or photographing lights? Does country matter? Then do some research on those ports, then look at which cruise line would best meet your needs.

Have fun!

Yesterday we booked our 4th cruise with AMA, Christmas on the Rhine on 11/25/15.

We find the overall attention to detail on AMA to be excellent and really enjoy their ships. While itinerary is important, the devil is in the details IMO and IME, and the cost of a river cruise is not insignificant - I urge you to read lots of reviews here and on other forums and see what line offers the features and style that appeals to you most.

We have been on 7 river cruises so far and have also visited the Christmas markets in Europe about a dozen times. It is a fabulous time of year to visit! We will combine our trip with time in Europe on our own as we enjoy independent travel as well and the combination is perfect for us!

Our Christmas market cruise with AMA two years was our 4th at that season and definitely the best of the rest. The small details and special touches on board, the emphasis on local cuisine and wines, the high quality entertainment and the wide range of shore excursions were differentiators from our previous river cruise experiences. That is what brings us back to AMA again and again.

Edited by caviargal

We selected Viking for our fist ever cruise last year as we wanted a specific itinerary (Portugal's Duouro River) and dates. We had an absolutely fantastic time and have booked another cruise with Viking for this June.

Look at itineraries and dates and narrow down your choices.

Yesterday we booked our 4th cruise with AMA, Christmas on the Rhine on 11/25/15.

We find the overall attention to detail on AMA to be excellent and really enjoy their ships. While itinerary is important, the devil is in the details IMO and IME, and the cost of a river cruise is not insignificant - I urge you to read lots of reviews here and on other forums and see what line offers the features and style that appeals to you most.

We have been on 7 river cruises so far and have also visited the Christmas markets in Europe about a dozen times. It is a fabulous time of year to visit! We will combine our trip with time in Europe on our own as we enjoy independent travel as well and the combination is perfect for us!

Our Christmas market cruise with AMA two years was our 4th at that season and definitely the best of the rest. The small details and special touches on board, the emphasis on local cuisine and wines, the high quality entertainment and the wide range of shore excursions were differentiators from our previous river cruise experiences. That is what brings us back to AMA again and again.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for- details!

THANK YOU to those with details! That's what I'm looking for. If any of you have more pros and cons it would be greatly appreciated. Things I've heard and read about on other threads, friends, etc:

I've heard Viking cabins are smaller; I've read about service problems on AMA; Uniworld looks and sounds really good and they have pools not just sun decks; but, the cost is generally much higher than the others; Avalon supposedly has the best return /frequent cruiser program and the French Balcony rooms are bigger than Vikings; Viking now also has bigger ships to do some itineraries other than rivers.... just so much info out there!

We won't need a pool for the tentative first one as we plan on a Christmas Markets 'Grand European' (as many lines call it for 4 or 5 countries on 3 rivers) probably late Nov./ early Dec. but if we really like it, then I'm sure we'll do future spring and summer cruises. Argh! Sometimes it easier with less choice!

We've checked itineraries many times and get brochures from many companies (because we are on some universal mailing list) and just like the big cruise ships, many go to the same ports, therefore we're trying to find a line we think we'll really like - and won't 'break the bank' so to speak! Truly, your details and reviews are appreciated.

Edited by mmbl

and have had NO SERVICE issues you speak about. Have been on all the major lines,remember EACH ship in EACH line is different.

You DO get what you pay for so look at all the details, tips?drinks?shore exc.and tips for those guides,etc....

Saw Burt Wolf on Travel Channel and he picked AMA, good enough for Me,I figure,,haha.

Trying Scenic next,like to see all the various lines and do my own comparison.

Remember, try ONE and if not for YOU try ANOTHER.That s what we did.

Everyone has their own must haves,and they tend to change as you get older and hopefully have more to spend.

I also will only take those that use a TA,some won t you know.Not worth the hassle to me and always wonder WHY,really>??:confused:

We have travelled with most of the main players so far (Uniworld, Viking, AMA and Scenic) and would travel with any of them again. Our least favourite was AMA - but it was due to the fact that we had a less than stellar CD and VERY novice wait staff. Not enough of an issue to prevent us from travelling with them again, but if I was comparing 2 lines for a specific cruise, they wouldn't be my first choice. But - that is a personal preference.

We did the Rhine for our Christmas market cruise as we had sailed the Danube the year before and wanted to see new ports. Our favourite Market was Strasbourg. Cologne has a number of markets - so it was great to start there and have some extra time to spend.

We cruise lowest category (aka Aquarium class). We would sooner save the money for the next cruise. In November/December the days are short, and the weather too cold to open a door - so this may play into your decision about what category cabin to book. Many won't travel without at least a French balcony --> again, a personal choice.

If you book early in December - and sail over St. Nicholas Day - you may get "treats" in your shoes if you put them outside your door when you go to bed at night!! We had that with Uniworld and it was fun.

I would suggest that there are as many similarities as differences - so if you find an itinerary you like - with a date and price that works for you - jump in. Some lines are more "all inclusive" - but their up-front price generally reflects that.

Avalon gives you a discount if you have done a Globus holiday before. Viking offers a $100/pp referral fee which is also great for the person referring you as they also get a $100 credit towards a future cruise. If you book Viking, there are many here who would gladly offer you their name and customer number (me included...)

Scenic has also been known to offer a referral discount of $100/pp - but the referrer does *not* get anything. Again - can be your referral source if you choose to go that route.

I *think* Uniworld gives a discount if you have done a Trafalgar tour in the past - but won't swear to that.

Hope this helps.

Fran

I would suggest that there are as many similarities as differences - so if you find an itinerary you like - with a date and price that works for you - jump in.

For us, we would very likely have stopped river cruising altogether if we had not discovered AMA. Our first few cruises on another line were enjoyable enough (the first one was the best of those because it was only 5 days and we were in port almost all of the time where we can find plenty to do), but we had just about decided that this mode of travel did not suit us due to our first cruises on the river with another line. We were quite bored overall when not in port and for the money, it was not worthwhile. Tours were slow and there was no option for those of us who were active and wanted a faster pace or a different experience from the standardized tour. While it was fine for my mom (who is in her 80s and often travels with us), the pace of the tours and the evening entertainment was too much of a snooze for us.

AMA offered us theme cruises that were relevant to our interests and that attracted like minded travelers, active tours, bike tours, and now offer culinary tours which we enjoy. We appreciate having a diverse selection should we choose to participate in the included excursions. We also prefer the energy and personality we have enjoyed on our AMA cruises overall as well as the staff and crew who have been exceptional on each of our cruises and which we did not experience previously.

One's priorities and personal travel style are a consideration IMO for how to choose a cruise just as they are when choosing a hotel or ocean cruise - though for some travelers, the differences may not matter.

Edited by caviargal

I *think* Uniworld gives a discount if you have done a Trafalgar tour in the past - but won't swear to that.

Hope this helps.

Fran

Uniworld gives you a past guest discount. Obviously if you've cruised with them, but also if you've been a guest with one of their affiliated companies in the past. They have several affiliates.

We were pleasantly surprised when THEY actually notified US, at the time of booking, that we were in their database as past guests. They are affiliated with the Red Carnation group of hotels. Once I found my confirmation number from a stay at Hotel 41 in London 5 years ago, I sent it to them and they applied the past guest discount. That hotel stay also got us invited to the past guests' party on board. I don't know what's more surprising - that they still had us in their database, or that I still had an email from 2009!

Trafalgar Tours is also part of their collection, so I'd imagine it should work similarly. Here is a link to all of their affiliates: http://uniworld.com/about-us/the-travel-corporation

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We've always been fortunate traveling with Avalon. Our TA has our "Globus #" and we get % off listed on our quote on our trips with Globus/Avalon/Monogram tours. Then we get other discounts as well from him. Travel once with them and you get the discount. It's called "Journey's Club" I think.

We will probably do AMA one of these days because they have a great "tulip time" cruise that goes to both Arnhem and Nijmegen and we are both students of WWII history. Avalon doesn't seem to spend as much time at Arnhem and doesn't go to Nij.

I'm still convinced that a great number of the cruise companies are very, very similar. They can't be too different from each other because they are basically after the same demographic. The ships even have to be about the same size because they have to fit in the same locks system on the Rhine and Danube.

That's why I said look at itinerary and cost and what is included/not included in that price and choose what is good for you.

I'm still convinced that a great number of the cruise companies are very, very similar. They can't be too different from each other because they are basically after the same demographic. The ships even have to be about the same size because they have to fit in the same locks system on the Rhine and Danube.

But the number of passengers on those same-size ships varies quite a bit. This is an objective way to measure luxury on a river cruise.

But the number of passengers on those same-size ships varies quite a bit. This is an objective way to measure luxury on a river cruise.

Earlier this month we met a very nice couple on our AMA cruise. They were similar to us in terms of age, travel experience (well traveled), were oenophiles and foodies; they also had similar travel style /tastes (Oceania/Regent for ocean cruises, upscale hotel preferences).

They had done a back to back, Viking the 1st week and AMA the 2nd. Their comments on their Viking ship were that their cabin was cramped (they were in a French balcony on both), ship felt crowded, food was poor (they said "awful"), staff was courteous but lacked the warmth of the AMA staff, and wine served was the same every night, and of poor quality. They were wowed by the difference from line to line - they were on one of the new Viking longships and then the AmaBella.

While some of this is subjective, some is not. We have never had an interest in Viking and would not choose the line personally but it was very interesting to us to hear such a direct comparison of the two lines from people with similar backgrounds and tastes.

This was their first time ever river cruising.

For us, the differences are important and we would not choose simply based on itinerary.

Edited by caviargal

Oh, I agree that there are differences, both in capacity and in other things, just like there is a difference between Carnival and Crystal in ocean cruising. But don't you think that most people know what they're paying for? Great food and great wine, and graciousness is not what springs to mine when I think of Carnival. Parties, music, unusual excursions are!

OP knows what he/she can afford and I was just stating that if cost is a major feature of their choice they would probably be happy with whichever one they opted to cruise with knowing that there might be some trade offs.

Let's face it, if your room is aquarium class, you're not going to be telling friends about the wonderful views from your room, but then that is something you are willing to forego because it's just not that important to you.

Yes, from everything I've read, but especially how they handled the flooding last year, I don't think Viking would be my choice, no matter how many ships they put on the water.

I think Tauck is top of the list, but having looked at their itinerary they do things that I'm not particularly interested in. Many times, we feel that river cruising is a lovely way to get to the towns we're interested in, in a lovely mode of transportation, so that we can visit those places on our own but make use of the guides if there is something we particularly want to see.

So, with all of that in mind, I'm willing to look at AMA, Uni, Avalon, etc if it matches what I'm looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. We found a line that is new to river cruising, but has been around about 40 yrs-Emerald Waterways. We got brochures from 4 lines and I think we may still be too 'young' for these slow tours and boring evenings! I think we will follow their itineraries and just fly into Amsterdam and then get a Eur-Rail pass to visit the same Christmas Market towns down through Germany, Austria and ending in Budapest before flying home. BTW- Emerald really did look very interesting. When we're ready to slow down, we'll likely check them out first assuming the reviews continue to be as positive as their initial ones.

Born in NYC; live in Texas; traveling the world !

18 cruises~ RCCL, DCL, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL America~ and 4 continents by air land and counting! To travel is to live!

Hello,

sorry to hear the river cruising communities have lost you, for the time being! :D

In my opinion you have made an interesting choice. Living on the Rhine I often take the trains on either bank of the River.

Did you know you can follow the course of it (sort of, with minor deviations) for hundreds of miles all the way down - actually upstream - to Basel?

If you feel like it you can still do a river trip for a few hours. There are not many available in winter, but it is worth looking into to get a feel of what rivers cruisers enjoy so much. Several companies do stretches of the Rhine and Danube.

Enjoy planning.

notamermaid

Thanks everyone. We found a line that is new to river cruising, but has been around about 40 yrs-Emerald Waterways. We got brochures from 4 lines and I think we may still be too 'young' for these slow tours and boring evenings! I think we will follow their itineraries and just fly into Amsterdam and then get a Eur-Rail pass to visit the same Christmas Market towns down through Germany, Austria and ending in Budapest before flying home. BTW- Emerald really did look very interesting. When we're ready to slow down, we'll likely check them out first assuming the reviews continue to be as positive as their initial ones.

Born in NYC; live in Texas; traveling the world !

18 cruises~ RCCL, DCL, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL America~ and 4 continents by air land and counting! To travel is to live!

That is a great plan and we love visiting Europe by train and DIY. We have done independent land trips for the Christmas markets at least a half dozen times. The market in Budapest was really high quality as are some we experienced in Germany and Austria over the years.

Your proposed itinerary is aggressive IMO and we have spent 10-12 days just in Germany and Austria visiting the markets as there are so many to experience, each with their own personalities.

We have done it BOTH ways,not in winter tho.When we were younger and liked to drive and pack every day,it was great.Loved the trains,etc.

Now in 60 s and have been doing river cruises since our 40s.Enjoy THAT too.Always on option later,but even when younger we had plenty to do .

Now we re happy to use the ship as a traveling hotel and bus.;);)

Anyone have feedback on the European River boats operated by Grand Circle Travel? Their prices seem half of what the likes of Viking, Avalon, Uniworld are charging.

Looking at a river cruise next year, done 20 cruises on the big ships, time for a change.

Any feedback on GCT appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by NSWP

Anyone have feedback on the European River boats operated by Grand Circle Travel? Their prices seem half of what the likes of Viking, Avalon, Uniworld are charging.

Looking at a river cruise next year, done 20 cruises on the big ships, time for a change.

Any feedback on GCT appreciated.

Thanks.

Did you use the CC search function on the River Board....if I am remembering the last I read about Grand Circle they are liked by the few CC members who have cruised them BUT the are definitely a "Budget" line and lots of talk about the beds being fixed "Pullman style" ... I believe these are much older boats. All that aside I have no personal info but using the search function you should get some fairly recent info.

I don't know how to post a link but there is a very long thread started about April 24 2014 all about Grand Circle.... Lots and lots of info!

Edited by nana541

Did you use the CC search function on the River Board....if I am remembering the last I read about Grand Circle they are liked by the few CC members who have cruised them BUT the are definitely a "Budget" line and lots of talk about the beds being fixed "Pullman style" ... I believe these are much older boats. All that aside I have no personal info but using the search function you should get some fairly recent info.

I don't know how to post a link but there is a very long thread started about April 24 2014 all about Grand Circle.... Lots and lots of info!

Thanks for that link, yes I checked that thread, they seem ok, GCT, older boats for sure and probably budget, but most folk appear to have had a good time on them. I emailed GCT, they will sell to Australians, so I will follow that up.

Thanks again and happy cruising.

We have cruise Grand Circle four times. We like their product. While the ships may be older, they are well maintained and in great shape. The crews have all been very personable and attentive.

The beds are just fine. Whatever thread count they use is at least as good as what I have at home.

One thing I really like is their Program Director concept. One on board full-time guide for every (approximately) 40 people. At some stops they give the tour, at others they get the group connected up with the local guide. The PD gets to know the people in the group and can pace things accordingly as well as offer specific suggestions for free time activities. From what we have seen, and heard, some other lines have one on-board cruise director who turns the groups over to local guides at each stop.

I'm not sure what a PP's definition of "budget" is. From my perspective, it isn't a "luxury" line. But, they provide everything I need, and a lot of what I want. Just don't expect a butler, suite or bathtub.

ETA: I think GCT only sells to people with a US address.

Edited by CPT Trips