Gecko's ATV Recently?

Mommy4lyfe

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We had booked two ATV's, several months ago, for Nov 3. When we arrived we were told that they only had two ATVs in working order so they had given one of ours to another couple because they had bought the "twofer" package. The new owner stated they had many mechanical problems, lots of bikes not working and difficulties with finding people to fix them. Wasn't impressed that they gave one of the ATV's away when we had a reservation..... They gave us the option of cancelling - which we did. Rented a jeep instead - went to the Domino Club - saw the beer drinking pigs then to Rainbow beach for a great afternoon. Total cost for jeep $57. Great day for a lot less.

Agree. Nice folks. Fun tour.

8:00am - 5:30pm. We arrived on Sunday. A lot of businesses around the island (including the Captain Morgan Run Distillery) were closed. A reggae band was playing on the pier when we arrived. From the ship, you can see the quaint town of Frederiksted in front of the pier with lots of shops, to the left is an old fort (Fort Frederik) with a beach to its left and then about 2 miles further left was a popular beach called Rainbow Beach which had a bar and rented watercraft. We prearranged a 1.5-hour ATV jungle tour with Gecko Island Adventures for $135 for the two of us on a shared ATV. About one third of the tour is on paved roads and the balance is off-roading. There were numerous puddles and we did get a little muddy. (I'd have gotten real muddy if my wife had let me zip through the puddles rather than slowly go around them). There were 4 ATV's in our group, plus our guide. I would suggest you dress comfortably in clothes that are okay to get dirty, wear sunscreen, eye protection, water shoes, and a bandana to cover your nose and mouth from the dust the ATV's in front of you kick up. We had a lot of fun. At the end of the tour you have the option of staying at Rainbow Beach or catching free transportation back to town. We opted to go back to town, eat lunch on the ship, change into our beach clothes and hit the beach next to Fort Frederik. If you stay at Rainbow Beach, it only costs $3 to get back to town. It's only a few minutes away.

To find the Gecko office, exit the Pier and walk down the first street directly across from the pier (which is Customs Street). You will see a mini police station on the right. Enter into Strand Square Courtyard via the entrance next to the police station. Once in the center of the courtyard turn to your left and you'll find the Gecko office where you can pay with cash or credit card. You will then be fitted with a helmet. Our tour started at 9:30 am and we were asked to be at the office no later than 9:15 am.

stcroix.jpg

After lunch we walked past the fort on the ocean side. Just past the fort is a reasonably nice beach with a bar and grill. Umbrellas and chairs can be rented. The sand was soft and the ocean pretty. Great place to take pictures of the ship from the beach. As forts go, there's not much to see, but the cannons are cool and there is a museum inside, but they don't make it very inviting to visit. There is one entrance gate, located on the town side. The gate was closed, but unlocked, though it looked like it was padlocked shut.

Complete review: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/summit.html

Edited by CaribbeanBound

After our our wonderful ATV ride we opted to stay at Rainbow beach, which was a very big mistake. The beach is beautiful to look at but it was very very rocky. Swim shoes is recommended but even with the swim shoes getting in and out of the water was painful.

When we arrived back at the ship, we noticed a sign for a beach with free wi-fi and chairs in walking distance from the ship. Some people on the ship said that the beach was beautiful and you could walk between this beach and Rainbow beach along the shore line.

Frederiksted, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands

8:00am - 5:30pm. We arrived on Sunday. A lot of businesses around the island (including the Captain Morgan Run Distillery) were closed. A reggae band was playing on the pier when we arrived. From the ship, you can see the quaint town of Frederiksted in front of the pier with lots of shops, to the left is an old fort (Fort Frederik) with a beach to its left and then about 2 miles further left was a popular beach called Rainbow Beach which had a bar and rented watercraft. We prearranged a 1.5-hour ATV jungle tour with Gecko Island Adventures for $135 for the two of us on a shared ATV. About one third of the tour is on paved roads and the balance is off-roading. There were numerous puddles and we did get a little muddy. (I'd have gotten real muddy if my wife had let me zip through the puddles rather than slowly go around them). There were 4 ATV's in our group, plus our guide. I would suggest you dress comfortably in clothes that are okay to get dirty, wear sunscreen, eye protection, water shoes, and a bandana to cover your nose and mouth from the dust the ATV's in front of you kick up. We had a lot of fun. At the end of the tour you have the option of staying at Rainbow Beach or catching free transportation back to town. We opted to go back to town, eat lunch on the ship, change into our beach clothes and hit the beach next to Fort Frederik. If you stay at Rainbow Beach, it only costs $3 to get back to town. It's only a few minutes away.

To find the Gecko office, exit the Pier and walk down the first street directly across from the pier (which is Customs Street). You will see a mini police station on the right. Enter into Strand Square Courtyard via the entrance next to the police station. Once in the center of the courtyard turn to your left and you'll find the Gecko office where you can pay with cash or credit card. You will then be fitted with a helmet. Our tour started at 9:30 am and we were asked to be at the office no later than 9:15 am.

After lunch we walked past the fort on the ocean side. Just past the fort is a reasonably nice beach with a bar and grill. Umbrellas and chairs can be rented. The sand was soft and the ocean pretty. Great place to take pictures of the ship from the beach. As forts go, there's not much to see, but the cannons are cool and there is a museum inside, but they don't make it very inviting to visit. There is one entrance gate, located on the town side. The gate was closed, but unlocked, though it looked like it was padlocked shut.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions in over 20 Caribbean ports.

• 3 months later...

We just did Gecko's ATV two weeks ago. I booked it because they only take 5 ATV's. Well, they only had 2 booked when we were there and the other couple did not show. So, we had a private tour with Jamal.

Very fun way to see the island. Easy to walk to from the pier. They will taxi you back at the end from Rainbow beach, but we just walked the beach back to the ship.

I would highly recommend this tour.

• 4 weeks later...

We toured with Gecko's last week and I am afraid we did not have a good experience. The problem: mechanical problems with the ATVs. Out of the 5 machines we started with, two broke down and one of those never did get restarted and had to be left at the side of the road. Most of our tour was spent waiting while the guide fiddled around trying to restart engines. As it got later in the day, we became concerned about missing the ship. When we went to the office after the tour to talk about our experience, the place was locked up. I can't really recommend this tour until the owners fix the problems in the machines. The tour should be about scenery, commentary about the area, and fun-- not wondering if you would be stranded in the middle of nowhere due to a problematic ATV.

We toured with Gecko's last week and I am afraid we did not have a good experience. The problem: mechanical problems with the ATVs. Out of the 5 machines we started with, two broke down and one of those never did get restarted and had to be left at the side of the road. Most of our tour was spent waiting while the guide fiddled around trying to restart engines. As it got later in the day, we became concerned about missing the ship. When we went to the office after the tour to talk about our experience, the place was locked up. I can't really recommend this tour until the owners fix the problems in the machines. The tour should be about scenery, commentary about the area, and fun-- not wondering if you would be stranded in the middle of nowhere due to a problematic ATV.

Heart felt sorrow for you:o. When we did this excursion back in September 2013, the ATVs were new according to our tour guide and we did not incur any problems. I certainly would contact them and ask for a refund or at least a partial refund. I have attached their Facebook link where you can send them a private message or post it to their public page.

https://www.facebook.com/geckosislandadventures