Anyone know for sure about Explorer? A bit worried...

I've heard conflicting things that the drydock for Explorer is either scheduled November/December of 2014, and then I also hear February of 2014.

However, the website is still allowing bookings for all of February of 2014, and the winter ones are not released yet.

Does anyone know for sure?

I ask because I want to go on Explorer in June of 2014 - But I'm hearing so many reviews about all the rust, how much she is showing her age, etc, that if she isn't drydocked before that... I don't want to book! :cool: (Which then causes a whole other can of worms - I live in upstate NY and am not spending an extra arm and leg to fly... ughhh :rolleyes:)

Thanks!!

I've heard conflicting things that the drydock for Explorer is either scheduled November/December of 2014, and then I also hear February of 2014.

However, the website is still allowing bookings for all of February of 2014, and the winter ones are not released yet.

I ask because I want to go on Explorer in June of 2014 - But I'm hearing so many reviews about all the rust, how much she is showing her age, etc, that if she isn't drydocked before that... I don't want to book! :cool: (Which then causes a whole other can of worms - I live in upstate NY and am not spending an extra arm and leg to fly... ughhh :rolleyes:)

Thanks!!

You can only go by RCI's schedule at this point. She shows no more rust than any other ship I've been on. A ship can be painted today and once it's at sea a few days will have rust spots. It's a constant job to try to keep up with it. We were just onboard in Nov and did not find her any more worn than any other ship. Looked fine to us and the crew is wonderful. Anyone expecting a ship to look pristine and not rusted or worn at all needs to book a ship for it's inaugural.

We just got off the Exporer last Sunday (still fighting the post cruise blues....trying to convince my DH that the only cure is to book another cruise ;)). We loved it. Is there some signs of age? Yes. Should it be a deal breaker? In my opinion no. The upgrades that we missed that I expect will be added since they were when sister ship Mariner was dry docked is ship wide wifi (only in certain ship locations now), flat screen TVs, possibly a steak house (it only has Italian specialty now) and of course paint job, new carpets and upholstry (which is does need because after 13 years there are some stains but again nothing horrific). I too had heard that it was being dry docked in 2014 but I was told by a couple of staff people that it is actually going to take place in 2015 though they were not specific about the month. I want to say that the staff was by leaps and bounds the best we have ever had. Everyone was so nice, helpful and wanting to talk about their job and their life. We learned more about ship life on this cruise then we have in the last 6 we have taken combined. It is still a pretty ship after all these years :) Happy cruising!

We went on the EnOTS a few months before drydock. We went on the first cruise after the EnOTS drydock. Both cruises were great! The post drydock cruise did cause me to have a lot of allergy problems...all that dust/dirt being stirred up and the toxins that were being released from the new fabrics and all the chemicals used during the rehab of the ship. From a health standpoint, the pre drydock cruise was better for me!

They had such a long list of things to be done to the ship that needed to be done while there were no passengers on board. Painting...every cruise I have been on someone is painting something. In port, they have crew members over the sides sanding and painting parts of the ship. As noted...it is a never ending thing.

Cruise when the time suits you.

We were on Explorer in December and I didn't see anything that would make me not cruise her again. Actually just booked a cruise for Sept 2014. I don't look for issues either.

While we were aboard they were replacing sofas in some of the cabins. I am not sure if they were new sofas, or new slip covers.

As another poster stated, you will see rust spots on any ship. The balconies may show wear and tear, but what do you expect when a ship is in the elements 24/7. This has been a rough year storm wise also.

Book your cruise. You will have a great time. And don't let the little things bother you.

Yes all ships show wear and tear after the first couple of years but Explorer needs some rehab.

There have been many reports of not just rusty balconies and mirrors, but general cabin shabbiness. I have had cabins where there were obvious stains on the upholstery, smelly old mattresses full of stains (that was FOS), etc. Some things you can get corrected, some you can't, but no point in telling people that every ship is in excellent condition. um, no.

Explorer is in pretty good condition and I would still sail pre-drydock, but it is not a 'like new' experience all around. No, it's not.

I thought they were closing the Bayonne Port.

Um, no. RCI has signed a long term lease and there are no plans to close Cape Liberty at Bayonne. There are other threads about this going back a couple of years.

Thanks!!

No problem with Explorer. We were on the 'infamous' hurricane Sandy cruise to Bermuda last October. The ship came through that great. About the only problems that required a lot of rework was that many of the balcony rooms on the Starboard side had water damage to the rugs. The wave spray/rain piled up on the balcony and when the ship listed to Port between waves, the water ran into the room under the door. LOTS of rugs replaced..... We watched them fill many dumpsters in Bermuda with soggy rugs.

As others have said, the ship is in a salt water environment. Things could be painted today and 3-4 weeks from now, rust might be seen again.

Explorer is fine. There is rust on every ship, including the Allure.

All I can post is the RCCL website lists cruises through November 1, 2014. The captain and hotel director said refit would happen in 2015. How reliable is this information? Other than the fact more than one poster has said the same thing. Is the captain correct? Who knows? I would think it's extremely unlikely RCCL would start canceling cruises in February 2014 after people have booked non-refundable airfare and pre/post cruise hotels.

They want a new modern terminal in Bayonne with no tram to board the ship. How soon or ever that will happen is another matter of debate and speculation.

See this thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1787151

Enjoy your cruise.

No problem with Explorer. We were on the 'infamous' hurricane Sandy cruise to Bermuda last October. The ship came through that great. About the only problems that required a lot of rework was that many of the balcony rooms on the Starboard side had water damage to the rugs. The wave spray/rain piled up on the balcony and when the ship listed to Port between waves, the water ran into the room under the door. LOTS of rugs replaced..... We watched them fill many dumpsters in Bermuda with soggy rugs.

As others have said, the ship is in a salt water environment. Things could be painted today and 3-4 weeks from now, rust might be seen again.

To the OP, the ship is steel and will rust.

You'd be suprised at just how quickly the harsh marine environment (salt spray and salt water) can cause rust streaks to appear. I'm sure I have the pictures, but not handy to post. Last March in Baltimore I took a picture of Encahntment before we boarded on the starboard side of the ship... Just a "we have arrived" picture. The ship looked beautiful and spotless. Fast forward three days later in Tortola when took an excursion and passed the starboard side of the ship....WOW you wouldn't believe the rust streaks! That was just three days at sea! The next day the crew were busy painting and she looked as good as new! It is truly amazing just how quickly ship can show signs of rust. Even a brand new ship fresh from the shipyard can and will have some rusty spots.

To the OP, Royal takes excellent care of the ships while they are in service, you will always see crew members busy cleaning, fixing, painting, replacing to ensure everything looks great.

We sail the Ex every year, this last December being the most recent. It is showing wear, but it is a beautiful ship. Chipped paint and worn moldings are not significant enough to keep me from sailing her again this November. I have taken loads of pics onboard the Ex but never bothered with the flaws. I was too happy to be cruising :)

Teddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived